Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-12, 07:05 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I got it.
I previewed a couple of the workouts.
The intros are odd, with the dude talking while the women look bored or annoyed, and sometimes give each other a look as if to say "why doesn't he just SHUT UP" (though I think it's more nerves on their part).
Then a woman takes over and leads the workout.
A couple of times during the workout, the dude saunters in and makes some comments about form. It's rather odd, IMO. Like what was he doing off-screen in the meantime, and why show up at that point. (I don't think I've ever seen anything quite as strange in a workout DVD).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 04:46 AM  
Nelly G

I am only interested in the 2 treadmill workouts in this set. Is there anyone out there who wants the set but has no treadmill? I would love to split the order so please contact me.

I also cannot order at QVC because they do not accept orders from outside the USA.
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 08:55 AM  
katmom

Any updates/reviews?

I see QVC still has the Athlean XX for $45, but I have not seen any reviews. Thumbs up or thumbs down on this one?
Old 03-06-12, 10:36 AM  
txfitmom

I have already traded mine! It was just not for me. I would have to give it a thumbs down, but that is just me. Some may like it, especially if you like stuff like P90X. The music in the workouts really annoyed me, similar to P90X, action movie type music, basically what you hear on the website is the type of stuff that is on there. I just don't get motivated by listening to that kind of music. KCM and several other instructors have way better music.

As to the workouts themselves, I only did part of one and previewed the others. In the one that worked the butt/lower body, she would do several rounds of the same exercises and it got a little boring. I started to dread the workout and quit about 2/3 of the way in the workout because it just could not hold my attention.

I did not like some of the workouts that had the instructor in a gym setting walking on a treadmill or doing circuits with gym equipment. There is also a DVD with her running up stairs in a stadium and doing other outdoor exercises, but I just did not see myself ever using those workouts.

I previewed the other workouts for upper body and abs and did not see any exercises that were anything unique or different than anything I already have. I would much rather pull out one of my KCM workouts or Jari Love or something than Athlean XX, Kelly and Jari really motivate me to workout and they do have unique twists on exercises or a large amount of reps, etc.

It is definitely weird when that dude walks across the screen in several of the workouts or even interrupts the workouts. That just makes them seem less professional. I do not see how these DVDs could have ever been marketed for over $100. I seriously do not think they are worth more than $20. In fact, I bought Supreme 90 for $20 and ended up not liking that one, but I would rather do that one than Athlean XX. Supreme 90 has way more variety and bang for your buck.

I don't want to scare anyone off to buying Athlean XX, because it might appeal to some people. Anyone that likes the feel of P90X would probably like it. There are also workout cards in the kit, but I am not one to follow paper exercises that much and after looking at them once again I felt they were too basic for me. I would lean in favor of Venus Index anyday over the cards in Athlean XX.

On the positive side, the packaging for Athlean XX is really nice (no way those discs are coming loose) and it comes with a tape measure!
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 11:11 AM  
EnglishIvy

I'd have to agree with a lot of the complaints listed by txfitmom. I'm very glad that I got this set in trade (thank you to the wonderful VFer!) and I will put it to use. But I think they did a better job on the packaging/advertising than they did on the product. IMHO, definitely not worth the original $150 asking price. As mentioned, Supreme 90 has way more variety and is a far better bang for your buck. Athlean-XX doesn't really offer anything new or innovative. There's a lot of repetition because they just repeat rounds (sort of like Revabs). This wouldn't be so bad if there was motivating music but the music/set are fairly bland/canned. Honestly, I think boredom is the worst offense of this set.

I disagree that P90Xers will love this. I love P90X (have done multiple rounds) and this set doesn't hold a candle to it. You can't really heavy up on the weights as much and the variety of moves is much more limited.

Pros: The workouts are short (seems like around a half hour though I didn't time them) and you can get a decent workout in that time even if it feels uninspired.

Disclaimer: I have not done or even previewed the treadmill workouts for this set. Also, I did not follow the rotation -- just picked a workout randomly as an add-on to my regular rotation.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 12:17 PM  
katmom

Thank you for your input, txfitmom & EnglishIvy! I suspected these were not what everyone expected. It sounds like it has the potential to be a good system for $45 instead of the asking price of $135 on the Athlean XX site. However, it also sounds like it could turn into a very boring rotation.
Old 04-18-12, 02:14 PM  
Ann1964

Anyone still using this system? I bought a while back, and have only done a few. They were Ok, but the guy dropping by was strange.
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 02:53 PM  
upperwside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1964 View Post
Anyone still using this system? I bought a while back, and have only done a few. They were Ok, but the guy dropping by was strange.
I have looked at most of them.. but have yet to do any. It looks good as a straight forward split strength workouts.. that you can add your own cardio too. I will try them out when i am done with Tapout. I bought them cheap.. but would have been sending them back if i paid the full price and found out that there really are not cardio workouts.. just cards... strange.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-12, 11:57 PM  
bee1forfitness

QVC still has these @ $44.67 anyone still doing them or even likes them!!! I remember when these sold for close to $100 more...guess with systems you may need to wait to get at a lower price (BB exempted)
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 03:27 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I was at a QVC outlet in Mebane and this set is 50% off. I grabbed one since it was only $23. There were also a lot of TA Omni, one Hip & one Abs @$42.00 per set. Firm Express was $30.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
athlean xx, jeff cavaliere, old thread alert