Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-12, 03:07 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

All I can say is that I'm glad I've chosen not to go through all that!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 03:30 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
All I can say is that I'm glad I've chosen not to go through all that!
I take it you had a hysterectomy?

Sometimes I think about having one...just get it all over with!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 03:34 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

No. Under a menopause doctor's care on bioidentical hormones

Note. Menopause is being discussed right now on The Doctors. Talking about lots of options.

Too bad my post probably won't go though in time for anyone to see it. I keep getting a database error.
Old 02-08-12, 03:40 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
No. Under a doctor's care on bioidentical hormones

Note. Menopause is being discussed right now on The Doctors.

Too bad my post probably won't go though in time for anyone to see it. Very show
Oops! Forgot about your post upthread...

So the hormones lessen menopausal woes, or do they eliminate them altogether?

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 03:53 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Has anyone else noticed that upper body workouts cause hot flashes? lol. Every time I do a chest track on one of the Pump dvds, I can count on my face suddenly CATCHING FIRE while I'm laying there on the floor pushing that barbell.

Exercise in general tends to cause them; I have them when I'm running, too... Usually it's in the first 15 minutes of the workout, I'll have a good blazing hot flash, a short one, maybe 20 seconds, then I'm good for the rest of the workout.

My mom is 72 and weaning off HRT and she has advised me NOT to do HRT, she said "all it does is postpone the inevitable. I never thought I'd be this miserable with hot flashs at 72!"

I'm not totally convinced that advice is best, though; I'll think about it as I go....
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 03:58 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Juliepie, I have no symptoms - except, as Susan said, when exercising. I sometimes kinda sorta feel a hotflash - but barely m
Old 02-08-12, 04:01 PM  
fitmom24

I had a hysterectomy last year but was able to keep one ovary. I was 40 at the time. Sadly the remaining ovary never really kicked in as the Dr. hoped it would and I started experiencing major menopausal symptoms. I finally ended up seeing a reproductive enodcrinologist. He is helping me with bioidentical hormones. I love him. I feel so much better.

I always thought the mood swings couldn't be much worse than PMS but boy was I wrong. I was so miserable I couldn't stand myself. My family was hiding from me! I am so glad I decided to dig deeper into HRT.

I certainly hope it's not putting it all off. My mom used HRT and had an easy transition off of them after abour 12 years. Hope it goes the same way for me.

Keep looking for solutions and I wish you well.

Michelle
fitmom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 04:06 PM  
KellyMarie65

I have to say I prefer the relief with the BHRT.
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 04:16 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Has anyone gone on antidepressants? I talked to my doc this fall because I had several periods in a row just 14 days apart and it was like I was never escaping the PMS.... I got SCARY depressed (I've never been on to get b!tchy, instead I get very discouraged when I'm PMSy). I felt like I was losing my mind. Then I just STOPPED having periods for 3 months and felt great! It was such a relief! My doc said she would recommend a year on antidepressants if I have another episode like I had this fall. But she did NOT recommend HRT. Interesting. And I didn't ask, because I'm not actually menopausal yet (obviously.)

I'd rather avoid antidepressants AND HRT, but at the same time, practicality has to reign. I have a college student and two teenagers and a wedding coming up and my mom is emotionally needy and demanding since my dad passed away and her health isn't great and I'm going back to school myself in the summer.... I have to be FUNCTIONAL, and if I get that crazy again, I would not say no to whatever WORKS. Hopefully it won't happen again, but I feel about medical interventions in menopause the same way I felt about medical interventions in labor and delivery; I'd RATHER avoid them and go natural, but I'm not going to refuse unreasonably if I'm really in trouble.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 05:26 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

You can also get p.j.s that wick moisture, and keep you drier. Do a search for "menopause pajamas" at Amazon.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause