Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 01-20-05, 03:34 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Everything DDR - Dance Dance Revolution

Dance Dance Revolution, also known as DDR, is a series of video games in which the object is to step on arrows on a dance pad in sync with arrows scrolling up the TV screen, while a catchy song plays in the background.

Here is a page of screenshots from Gamespot of DDR Ultramix 2, which I own:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/puzzle/...reenindex.html

DDR machines can be found in video arcades, and there is also a series of home versions for video game consoles. The following games have been released in the US (* means out of print):

Playstation (PSOne):
Dance Dance Revolution*
Konamix*
Disney Mix*

Playstation 2 (PS2):
DDRMax
DDRMax2
Extreme
Extreme 2
SuperNOVA
SuperNOVA 2
Disney Channel
X
X2

Playstation 3 (PS3) Move:
Dance Dance Revolution

Xbox:
Ultramix
Ultramix 2
Ultramix 3
Ultramix 4

Xbox 360:
Universe
Universe 2
Universe 3
Dance Dance Revolution (coming in 2011)

Gamecube/Wii:
Mario Mix*

Wii:
Hottest Party
Hottest Party 2
Disney Grooves
Hottest Party 3
DanceDanceRevolution

"Official" DDR plug-and-play mats for children (no console required):
My First Dance Dance Revolution
Strawberry Shortcake
Disney Mix

Dance/mat games that are similar to DDR:
Pump It Up: Exceed (PS2, Xbox)
In The Groove (PS2)
Dance Factory (PS2)
Flow: Urban Dance Uprising (PS2)
Stepmania (PC)
Dance Praise (PC)
Dancing with the Stars (PS2, Wii)
High School Musical 3: Senior Year Dance (PS2; Wii version doesn't use mat)
Active Life Outdoor Challenge (Wii; uses unique, non-DDR-compatible mat)
Active Life Extreme Challenge (Wii; uses unique, non-DDR-compatible mat)
Walk It Out (Wii)
Ultimate Party Challenge (Wii)
Karaoke Revolution Party, song-and-dance mode (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube/Wii)

DDR is not only fun, it provides a great cardio workout. It's like an interval workout; you do a song for about 2 minutes, then rest between songs as they show your score. The PS2 and Xbox games all have "workout" modes that show the time you've exercised and calories burned. Extreme, Extreme 2 , and SuperNOVA for the PS2 also include games for the Eye Toy camera attachment, which works the upper body as well. The Wii and PS3/Move games have optional modes where you shake or do gestures with the motion controllers.

Some DDR players have reported dramatic weight losses. For me, DDR fried all my pregnancy weight in about 6 months, and nearly a year after giving birth, I weigh 15 pounds less than my prepregnancy weight Some schools have added DDR to their phys ed programs, and doctors are just beginning to conduct studies to see how DDR can be used to prevent obesity and Type 2 diabetes in young people.

Last edited by Sue B; 04-15-09 at 11:14 AM. Reason: updated new releases
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 03:35 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Is DDR for me?

Here are some things to consider before investing in DDR:

Even if you're used to complex choreography videos, DDR might give you a bit of a shock. The first time out, you'll probably stumble over the easiest songs. It takes practice and perseverance, so if you don't like to practice, you probably won't like the game. It took me about 3 months of occasional playing to do Light (easiest) songs easily. After 8 months, I can do well on most of the Standards (moderate) and am working on my first Heavys (most difficult). Of course YMMV; some people pick this stuff up in days! DDRMax2 and Extreme for PS2, Ultramix 2 for Xbox, and Gamecube's Mario Mix are considered the most beginner-friendly versions.

The classic VF question: does it have good music? Well, I think so! You probably won't recognize most of the songs, though later releases throw in several "licenses" (i.e. songs you've heard) for American audiences. The newest games - Extreme 2 and later - feature many original recordings of hit songs, as big-name artists from Britney Spears and Fatboy Slim to David Bowie and B52s, jump on the DDR popularity bandwagon. Of the "unknown" tunes, there's a variety of Japanese-pop type songs, electronic dance, hip-hop, rock, ska, and even dance versions of classical pieces.

DDR is rather high-impact, with a number of plyo jumps and fast galloping moves. The soft pads made for home use require bare or stocking feet. Thick soft pads like the Red Octane Ignition help soften the impact, and carpeting helps too. The stomping of DDR can be pretty noisy, so it's best played on the ground floor, and not a very good idea for apartment-dwellers.

To play DDR at home, you'll need a TV, video game console, the game itself (around $40-50) and a dance pad (see Dance Pad post for more details).

If you've never seen the game but are curious, you might seek out an arcade machine in your area. The DDR Freak website, www.ddrfreak.com, contains a list of machine locations in the US and elsewhere. I've also heard that some Best Buy stores have DDR games and pads set up so you can try before you buy; it might be worth asking about.
Old 01-20-05, 03:36 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Dance Pads

You need to buy a separate dance pad controller to play DDR the way it was meant to be played. (It can be played with a hand controller, but that takes the "fitness" out of the equation!) Home dance pads come in 2 types: soft flexible plastic, and metal (like the arcade). Here are brief descriptions and vendors for dance pads:

Konami: Konami is the manufacturer of DDR, and you can buy a Konami-branded soft pad in a bundle with the newest DDR release for a limited time, in retail stores or online for around $60. I don't believe the pad is sold separately. I have this pad for the Xbox, and as cheap soft pads go, it's not bad; it's somewhat stiffer than the others and has a very nonslip underside. After six months of very frequent use, it's still as responsive as day one. Some players "mod" the pad by duct taping it to a hard floor or a piece of plywood, thus extending its life. I taped mine to my recently-expired Red Octane.

Red Octane (www.redoctane.com): The Red Octane Ignition pad, sold on their website and in some retail stores for around $100, is widely considered the best soft pad. It's like a great big zippered bag containing a thick foam insert which makes it very easy on the feet, and raised contoured arrows help with dancing. The Ignition is compatible with both PS/PS2 and Xbox. I had this pad, and it was great - while it lasted. After about 7 months, one of the arrows became flaky, not always responding. A new Ignition version "3.0" has just been released, tied in with Red Octane's upcoming In The Groove dance game. They've also come out with a new metal pad called the Afterburner, which costs less than the Cobalt Flux and is getting good reviews so far, although quality and durability remain to be seen.
UPDATE 11/12/05: Recent reviews of Red Octane's newest pads on DDRFreak, Epinions and elsewhere, have not been good, yet the prices are still much higher than similar pads. That's a shame because my older RO was very nice. Let's hope RO can get their act back together.

Buy n Shop (www.buynshop.com): This website sells an identical-looking knockoff of the RO Ignition, called the DX Extreme Fusion (or Sparkle with a "girly" design), for half the price. Reviews on DDR sites have generally been positive.

Cobalt Flux (www.cobaltflux.com): This is considered the gold standard of metal pads, and it'll cost you $300 plus $40-some shipping. (Hint: they tend to have sales at holiday time.) Owners report that this pad is virtually indestructible, and it is backed up with a 6 month warranty. I bought this pad for my birthday (beginning of March) and it is certainly durable and responsive, but it does take getting used to since it's completely flat unlike the Ignitions. As of now, it is only PS/PS2 compatible out of the box, but you can buy PS to Xbox adaptors at video game retailers.

Mad Catz, Intec, Naki: These brands of soft pads can be found in retail stores like Wal-Mart and Toys R Us for around $40. They seem okay for casual, occasional players. Do get the Ignition-style with the thick foam, rather than a thin pad which tends to bunch and slide everywhere.

eBay: There are cheap, no-name pads all over the site since the DDR fad took off. The pads are hit-or-miss; most reports are that they work well at first but wear out quickly. Again, do look for the thick-foam, "Ignition style" pads.

Notes on pads for Wii and Xbox 360: The Konami Wii pad is a wired pad that connects to the Gamecube outlets underneath a flap on top of the console (there are 4 outlets). Pads made for Gamecube are "supposed" to be Wii-compatible, but reports are that some aftermarket pads aren't working properly, so if you buy a GC pad for Wii, make sure you can return it easily if necessary. The Nintendo Mario Mix pad that's still sold for $20 directly from Nintendo's site does work with Wii, as do all Nintendo-made GC controllers. I bought one - it's all right for that price, but I prefer Konami's mat which is less slippery.

Xbox 360 mats use a USB-style plug, and pads for the old Xbox ARE NOT compatible with Xbox 360.

So which to buy? I would recommend starting out with one of the retail foam-insert pads (not a thin pad) or the BNS DX Extreme Fusion/Sparkle pad. The Red Octane Ignition 2.0 used to be the best, but unfortunately the new version has decreased in quality without a decrease in price. If you're really, really pinching pennies and think DDR will just be a passing fad for you, get the Konami pad + game bundle. By the time your pad wears out, you can decide if you want to invest in the big time, the Cobalt Flux. I invested and I'm very glad I did, but beginners will probably find it easier to start out with a soft pad.

Last edited by Sue B; 12-04-07 at 11:09 AM. Reason: some updates
Old 01-20-05, 03:38 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

External Links

Here are some websites that contain more info on DDR:

Gamefaqs (www.gamefaqs.com): This site contains FAQs and message boards for oodles of video games, including all the US DDRs.

DDR Freak (www.ddrfreak.com): Tons of DDR info, including songlists, FAQs, machine locations, step charts, and even a DDR jargon dictionary. Their forum is extremely busy (it makes VF seem almost sleepy!) and ruled by draconian moderators, but it's good for gaining info on everything from how to improve your play to players in your local region.

DDR Community (www.ddronlinecommunity.com ): Konami's official DDR site contains news, videos, support and a forum for the game.

DDR 4 Health (www.ddr4health.com): A very "grown-up" site that focuses on the fitness aspects of DDR and other exercise gaming. It has lots of links to news articles about DDR, and articles by the webmaster about getting started on DDR and detailed descriptions of the workout modes of the various games. Highly recommended. (Update: this site seems to be abandoned, but the webmaster is keeping it up for now.)

Getupmove.com (www.getupmove.com): Another site that advocates DDR for weight loss and fitness. They feature success stories, and have a friendly forum that offers support for young people struggling with weight and body issues.

GamerDad (www.gamerdad.com ): Great resource for parents who want to play video games with their kids, or at least know what they're buying for them. Not surprisingly, they rate DDR highly.
Old 01-20-05, 05:05 PM  
akaAnnie

We got DDR for Christmas and after a lot of reading on websites and forums I got the Level Six pad which seemed to be considered the equivalent to the red octane ignition 2.0-and about half the price. We're happy with it, but of course we've only had it since Christmas.
Ann
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 11:10 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaAnnie
We got DDR for Christmas and after a lot of reading on websites and forums I got the Level Six pad which seemed to be considered the equivalent to the red octane ignition 2.0-and about half the price. We're happy with it, but of course we've only had it since Christmas.
Ann
Thanks for mentioning the Level Six pad! I knew there was another popular pad but I couldn't remember the name. Glad it's working well for you. (And you were lucky to get one; they're on backorder right now.)

BTW if anyone wants to add reviews, info or opinions to this thread, feel free.
Old 01-21-05, 08:30 AM  
gimmat
VF Supporter

I just picked this game up, and cannot wait to try it this weekend. I've always loved the arcade version (although I lack the rhythm needed!), and thought this could help sneak some cardio for DH.

Thanks for putting this together! VF is such a great resource...
gimmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-05, 09:13 AM  
lovemygirls
VF Supporter

Sue,
Awesome overview, links, and tips!! Thanks for taking your precious time to do this!! I'm considering getting DDR for my 8 soon to be 9yr old daughters birthday. There are a couple of arcades nearby (thanks to your handy-dandy locator ) I think we'll swing by and give it a try. I'll feel like the biggest (OLDEST) dork there, but hey so what!!

Thanks again!
Kerri

Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home
lovemygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-05, 10:38 AM  
gettingstrong

Thanks for the info and links! We got the DDR2 game for Christmas with the cheapest pad (I really wasn't sure how dd would like it, she's not really into video games). It is already curling up and I know I will be replacing it soon. Probably, I will get the red octane , since ALL of us love it! My 3 y/o dd and I just finished taking turns in w/o mode. Helps to make me get up and move while visiting vf. Marnie
gettingstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
active gaming, ddr, everything