Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-17, 09:11 AM  
SquishyMommy

What are good alternatives to step-ups?

Two of my favorite exercise systems, Kayla Itsines' BBG, and the Venus workouts, include step-ups and weighted step-ups onto a bench or chair. I use my Firm FannyLifter for these exercises. I am okay doing squats and lunges, but for some reason step-ups are awful on my knees. Whenever I do them my knees "pop" when going up and down stairs for days afterwards. It is not especially painful, just kind of uncomfortable and bothersome.

Anyone have any suggestions for substitutions for these exercises?
Old 04-20-17, 09:47 AM  
PaulaZ

How high is the Fanny Lifter you're using? Is it the original 14 inch one? If so, you might try using a lower step. A normal staircase step is about 6 or 7 inches high. If you have a regular step, start with 8 inches (2 risers) and work up to 10 inches. Also, how long are your legs? If you're short, a 14 inch step may always be too high for your knees with the added weight.
PaulaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 09:47 AM  
desie

Coming down to your knees on a very padded mat and then returning to standing will work the legs the same way, but because of that it may still make your knees unhappy. I would just substitute a favourite exercise that you feel is good for you and that you don't do enough. I do more balance work and more posture exercises myself.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 04:31 PM  
Tiny

There is a move that KCM does in Split Sessions Workout 2 (Lower Body). She is in a lunge position, belly to her knee, weights are at both sides of the foot. She then bends to pick up the weights but when she pushes up she is pushing from the heel of the foot that is in front. Does that make sense? It just seemed like a really good alternative to a step up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Iqlkp_4pA The move starts at 2:38.

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 04:38 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I sub deadlifts.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 04:56 PM  
Tugger31

I agree deadlifts are a good sub.

Also check out the form pointer in this video at about 3:45 or so into the workout. I have never seen this tip before for step ups, but might be something to try if you wanted to still incorporate step ups in some way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67F77601Mug
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 05:20 PM  
Aunt Famous

Yes on deadlifts. Sometimes slow calf raises while balanced. And sometimes barre or Pilates-type stuff, like

For glutes/backside of body: Put your hands on a chair, torso parallel to the ground, leg lifts up to parallel (or pulses from parallel). Or do hydrants or pulsing bent knee donkey kicks from that same starting position.

For quads/front side of body: Sit on the floor, back straight, and arms to the side, then lift a leg up and pulse with control (first with pointed toes, then flexed, and again in turnout, first with pointed toes, then flexed -- each for at least 10 reps, then switch sides). It sounds easy, but try it and report back. Ha!

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 12:12 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Lower the step and don't use weights.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 12:37 PM  
bfit

I agree with lowering the step. If you have to just start with the base of an aerobic step (no risers) which is 4 inches I think.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanny lifter, leg press, modifications, step ups, substitution, tall box climb