Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-19, 06:42 AM  
margaux

Thanks everyone for your well wishes Praying for relief soon.
margaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 08:31 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Reviving this thread as DH and I had the first shingrix shot last night since it was finally available. Several hours later, my arm started hurting like heck at the injection site. It was tough to get comfortable and my night's sleep was not good. It's roughly 24 hours later now, and it's still sore but not nearly as bad. My DH didn't feel any arm soreness, but started feeling very achy, nauseated, and feverish by early afternoon today. He went to bed and rested for several hours. 24 hours after the shot he is slowly getting back to normal, at least he feels a little better. I feel very lucky since my reaction was really mild compared to his! That said, it still is worth it to us to get the shot and will get the second one when the time comes.

Margaux, I hope by this time that you have fully recovered or at least are well on the mend. It must be miserable.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 06:48 AM  
lizr

I got my first shot Tuesday and had a rough night's sleep as well. 2 days later it's still very sore to the touch. Really not looking forward to that 2nd shot...
lizr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 07:42 AM  
margaux

Fellow VFer's, take it from me, it is worth the temporary side effects to avoid Shingles. It has been six weeks since I came down with Shingles and although the worst of it is over, I still have a lot of pain in my back, where it began and all of the skin where the shingles virus traveled is still very sore to the touch. I am still on gabapentin, a nerve med, and using CBD cream on my back. Sorry for the bad effects from the Shintrix vaccine, but hang in there. It is worth it.As soon as my doctor allows, I will be getting the vaccine since I can get Shingles again.
margaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 09:25 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I agree--shingles is nothing to be sneezed at, the after effects can be devastating. I've seen them in a number of my patients.

Personal report: Today I got Shingrix #2, along with my husband. Now >8 hours later, the only side effects I can report are significant soreness in my arm where I got the shot. I put some ice in a baggie and clipped it to my shirt with a binder clip for an hour and it feels a lot better. I also took Tylenol a couple of hours after I got the injection and just took some more. After the first one I woke up in the middle of the night with fever and chills, took some Tylenol then and was fine the next day. I'm taking pre-emptive action for this one.

Husband took a 3 hour nap when we got home but he hadn't slept well the past couple of nights. We put a new 3 inch foam topper on our mattress for his touchy shoulders and will hope he sleeps better tonight.

Update tomorrow.

Margaux, I'm sorry you're having to go through such prolonged pain. Hoping you're better soon.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 11:25 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

My DH had the first shot in June and had a lot of soreness and some mild flu symptoms for a day. He just had the second shot last night and woke up with flu symptoms again but worse (chills, body aches, slight fever). He said the soreness in his arm is also worse than the first shot.

He thinks it's a small price to pay if he doesn't get another case of shingles though. He had a flare up about 3 years ago that took a few months to get over. He was in terrible pain during that time even after he took prescribed antiviral meds (he had it on his lower back).

I'm thinking about getting it. I have to talk to my doctor about it at my next appointment.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 11:31 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

It seems like availability has been revived. Wonder if I'll ever hear that a dose came in for me? I've been waiting a long time.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 11:32 AM  
sherry7899

At what age are you supposed to get the vaccine? I turned 50 this year and have my physical early next month. I plan to get the flu shot then, so I doubt you can do both on the same day?

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 11:41 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Sherry, my DH and I got flu shots at the same time as Shingrix. One shot in each arm.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 11:47 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Sherry, my DH and I got flu shots at the same time as Shingrix. One shot in each arm.
Thank you!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto-immune disorder, shingles, shingrix, vaccines, zostavax