Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-24, 10:15 PM  
Leonana

I went to work today. Probably too soon, but my PCP didn’t say I couldn’t work. I sat most of the day, so didn’t get too tired. I coughed more, but less once I got home and rested. Funny, but I feel like I have more energy. It might be because it was nice to get out and be around people, my mood is more positive. As far as I can tell, I didn’t set myself back. Fortunately, it’s only three hours out of the day.

My PCP was supposed to call today with X-ray results but didn’t. However, she called in a prescription for me. It’s a stronger antibiotic and the list of side effects scared me! But it’s only for five days. I read the X-ray results on the patient portal. Right lung is better, left lung has possible small amount of fluid. Heart is the same. Concerning part is left lung has some scarring. I searched and small amounts of scarring aren’t an issue. I’d just like to know how much is “some.” I’ll have to call tomorrow. I seem to be breathing easier. Now that I’m 64, it seems everything is falling apart lol. I eat pretty healthy, keep my weight down and exercise. I’d hate to think how sick I would have been otherwise!

Neita, your camping trip sounded wonderful. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I admire you for camping by yourself.

wishiwasinhawaii, I’m glad you liked Jessica’s strength workout. Although, I don’t know when I’ll be well enough to do one again. Maybe in a month or two.

Pam, I hope the movie was good, if you stayed awake!

Donna, that’s nice your dd is home for spring break.
Old 03-19-24, 08:12 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today, so far:

Jessica Smith - Fusion Sculpt Total Body and Concentrated Core - I have done this one before - a mix of standing and floor work - it felt more like a strength workout than one of Ellen's flowy fusion workouts but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Variety!

Hope to get something else in later - I just ran out of time this morning. I was up late b/c DD went to a concert and I can't get to sleep until she is back home. It wasn't too, too late but late for me.

Sherry - glad you felt well enough to go to work. Just take it easy. I do think pneumonia can scar your lungs, but hopefully you won't notice any lingering effects.

Neita - that sounds like a lovely trip! It didn't get cold until Sunday night, right? The days just blend for me....

wishiwasinhawaii
- maybe that is it - the sudden return of colder weather....

Waves, Pam!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Oh re: Jessica's Hip Hinge post - yes, sometimes I feel the criticism gets to be too much - not every workout is going to suit every body - so we just have to do what works best for us. I do think Jessica's new strength workouts are better than her older workouts - they are slower and more controlled and seem less intent on fitting a bunch of stuff in a short amount of time. I think the "dreaded" hip hinge is easier done when the workout is slower and controlled. I just take breaks if I feel it is too much for me - and I also focus almost on arching my back in order to keep a neutral spine I tend to have a flattened lower arch in my back so I have to work on not rounding - I'm not arching my back, but trying to keep it neutral in the hip hinge and I find it makes it better for me. Her slower pace helps me to focus on the form.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-24, 10:18 AM  
Leonana

Donna, I agree not every instructor is for everyone. I don’t mind the majority of posts about people explaining why Jessica’s workouts aren’t for them, it’s understandable. But sometimes it seems excessive, like when someone criticizes Jessica in a thread about Cathe’s new release. However, I’m probably too sensitive and should let it go.
Old 03-19-24, 10:41 AM  
donnamp

Sherry - I'm probably reading in to it more than I should, but I do get a "raining on your parade" feeling from those threads! It probably is not meant that way - which is something I have to remind myself of!

Donna
Old 03-19-24, 03:02 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

I continued with the 2nd part of Cathe's PHA 2 (Timesaver Premix) today! Funny, that she would have the low lunge (forward leaning) hip hinge in this workout today! I don't see much of this exercise from her though. I also added Cathe's Mobility workout from her Perfect 30 Perfect Flow DVD. This was a good one! Lots of great stretching and mobility work that she spends time on in the various exercises. I forgot how much I liked this one. Also, another great Dean yoga workout. I probably sound like a broken record with my routines this month.

With regard to Jessica's hip hinge position, I may have sounded harsh. She's a terrific instructor and Donna I think you said it best here above. I'm not partial to her, nor am I particularly sensitive if someone in the GD has an opinion that differs from mine, whether her or any other instructor. Most of her Strength workouts that I've done from her AAP (Build, Condition, Strengthen) I have liked. There's just some parts I would have done differently, with regard to hip-hinging. Either, not have had as many reps, circuits...possibly. Slowing down the exercise a bit more. But, there are always other options or modifications. I feel like I'm pausing her workouts a lot when I want to do something different, though.

I'm looking forward to trying some of Jessica's new Fusion workouts! Those are always so fun!

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-24, 09:09 PM  
Leonana

I guess I can post walking at work as my workouts. Yesterday was 4,100 steps, today was 4,500. I am feeling better, I think perhaps the new antibiotic is kicking in.

Donna, I think you hit the nail on the head! I'm taking it personally, as if I'm not supposed to enjoy Jessica's workouts, or even nobody is supposed to like them. I need to distance myself from that.

Pam, I didn't think you were too harsh at all. Your post was fine to me, you just stated why the workouts don't work for you. That's what the majority of everyone did, which I think is perfectly fine. Every once in awhile a post bothers me, but everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Old 03-20-24, 06:57 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I guess I can post walking at work as my workouts. Yesterday was 4,100 steps, today was 4,500. I am feeling better, I think perhaps the new antibiotic is kicking in.
Most definitely walking can be counted as a workout! Especially when you're recovering from a severe illness. Even a walk can feel strenuous. Please do take it easy though. I think sometimes meds make us feel better than we actually are.

Pam: Have you been reading about Dean's new offering: Engage?

Yesterday's Activity:
Reading the threads in GD, especially the one discussing MetCon vs AWT, I pulled out a FIRM workout for the morning: Total Body Toner. I used light weights, the goal was just a fun "aerobic" workout and I really enjoy the moves in that workout. I followed it with a Dean 10-min Morning Yoga session.

Later in the day I did CONDITION: Balance. That was a fairly easy one I thought, except for the very last move when you're in a kneeling lunge and you lift up a bit to hover then come back down, for reps. I really, really need that exercise as it's basically making you stronger to be able to get off the floor. Unfortunately, that is really tough for me. There are a few moves in Jessica's BUILD and CONDITION that are really "functional" for me; this is one of them.

Waves to everyone!
-Neita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-24, 08:31 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did manage a dog walk outdoors (it was chilly but not bad) and then after work I did Jessica's Nature Walk. (on the AAP) I really liked the Nature Walk - it was intended more for 'movement' than exercise, and sometimes that is what we need. I like the way Jessica focuses more on a fitness lifestyle as opposed to just going all out all the time. I found the Nature Walk to be almost a cross between a walking workout and a fusion type workout

Today, so far:

Jessica Smith - Cardio Flow from Total Body Balance
- this one is one I have done many times and it is a favorite. It also worked well for me since it was only 20 minutes and I got a late start.

Jessica Smith - 10 Min Stretch and Destress Total Body

I plan to walk outdoors later with my doggie and maybe some Pilates tonight I have to get back to more regular Pilates workouts.

Neita - I should pull out a FIRM workout for nostalgia

Sherry - definitely count your walking at work as exercise and start back slow.
I do think that some people can be overly critical of things they don't like - and it is hard not to feel defensive if it is something you enjoy. Good thing there is something for everyone. Jessica remains one of my favorite instructors -she has a great demeanor - and I think she is super talented b/c she is able to teach so many formats so well. I also think she has a nice balanced approach to fitness and knows that it is important to balance things out - not hard all the time, not easy all the time, etc

wave Pam and wishiwasinhawaii!!

Donna
Old 03-20-24, 02:28 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

After Dean's yoga today, I added Cathe's LITE Pyramid Pump (Upper Body) because I wanted to use my stability ball. I goofed around searching for my pump, since ball was deflated. When I got it back to where it should be and sat on it, I could hear "hiss", lol. Nope, not gonna chance it. So I hiked back upstairs to my bedroom to locate my other stability ball, which was fine. This was a tough workout working your way up from lightest to heaviest weight (and then back down) from heaviest to lightest. Using the stability definitely works your core, which is what I was aiming for really. After yoga, I was just going to grab a core workout but couldn't decide on one. So a Cathe workout using the stability ball from the LITE series was today's ultimate choice. Now that I've got my stability ball out, I need to do Cathe's Butts and Guts, as that's been a long time. Anyway, today noticed my hands/fingers were hurting, so I know I must have had a death grip on my weights today. I'll have to do some hands/fingers mobility stretches tonight.

Neita, yes I've been reading some of the information with regard to Engage. I signed up to get the emails and I'm not sure I want to make the commitment financially or timewise. I do so much already, not sure I need even more of Dean at the moment. I am a lifetime member and was happy about doing that, instead of monthly or yearly subscriptions. Just having access to all of his yoga on the forum and being part of the MFY Community is enough for me. I don't need to do "live" yoga sessions with all the guys, etc.

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-24, 04:26 PM  
Leonana

Today was walking at work, just under 4,000 steps.

Still tired and coughing some. But the congestion is a little less every day. I always feel better after I get home and take a long nap on the couch.