Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-26-20, 12:44 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Social Fitnessing: The VF Pandemic Check-In-NEW! Please join!

Hi everyone! Welcome to the first thread of a new VF check-in, called Social Fitnessing! The purpose of this check-in is to come together and connect with other VFers during these tough times.

We can talk about how the pandemic is affecting us, and how our exercise routines are going. It will be a way for us to better know our fitness friends here at VF, inspire and motivate each other, commiserate, and share ideas.

I started a thread a few days ago in the General Discussion forum about how the pandemic has affected our lives and fitness routines. Everyone has experienced life in different ways. Some people, like me, have struggled more with motivation, energy and sleep, while others have maintained or improved their motivation and exercise routines. Reading each person's post has inspired and resonated with me.

For the check-in, you can post any time, daily, weekly, etc.. There are no requirements or rules about what to post.

Let's start out by introducing ourselves and mentioning what types of workouts we like, what we are currently doing, and what goals we have (short or long-term).

I'm Abbe, a long-time VFer, and I live in NY. I have exercised all my life, and started doing videos while in school, because I didn’t have time to go to a gym or dance classes. I am a certified personal trainer and worked in a health club doing personal training, group classes, and taught privately. I like dancing so any dance-related workouts are fun for me. I used to run outdoors a lot, but now I use a treadmill. I have a home gym and a lot of workout DVD's. Cathe is my favorite. I've been to several of her roadtrips. I've been fortunate to meet VFers from around the country, and at the NY VF get-togethers over the years (taking classes with Ilaria, Margaret Richard, Lydia Bach of Lotte Berk Method, Exhale, Physique 57, and shopping at the ECA Fitness Convention). I also met New England VFers when I was in Boston for a Rodney Yee yoga weekend, and DC area VFers, including our own WWWendy. I can’t wait until the next VF get-together when the pandemic is over!

My pandemic exercise has been sporadic due to poor sleep and low energy. I am trying to change this situation. I received Cathe's new workouts and did Pump Upper Body, Core and Stretch yesterday, took a walk outdoors, and did 45 minutes on the treadmill. To be continued...

Please introduce yourselves. What’s your first name, where do you live, what do you do, what's your fitness background, favorite instructors, and current routine? What are your goals during the coming weeks and months?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 08:17 AM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Hi Abbe, thanks for starting this check-in. I will give it a try, but I have a bad track record of sticking with check-ins.

My name Paula and I live in Canada. I have been working out to videos pretty much my whole adult life, since I finished university. I love step aerobics, and also throw in some Cathe strength training. My favourite step workouts includes Kari Anderon, CIAs, Evolutions and Charlene Prickett. I also started playing hockey a few years ago, but that is currently on hold due to local restrictions. I also joined a tennis club last year, but skipped joining this year, to err on the side of caution.

My workout routine has not changed a whole lot since the pandemic, other than I have discovered YouTube workouts (Kat Gates, CDornerFitness, Gianna Storey and Fit Outside the Box in particular). My sleep is a mess these days and I rarely sleep through the night anymore.

I did Cathe's new Perfect 30 Upper Body body on Friday and really liked it. Need to get on to trying the rest of them (I have a Cathe subscription).

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 09:27 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Joining! Thank you Fit Boop!

My name is Pat I live in Connecticut and have been a VF'er for a l-o-n-g time. I enjoy Mother Nature and am fortunate to live near some very nice little beaches by the Long Island Sound, rivers, nature preserves and other beautiful places to walk and hike. I do yoga almost daily and fill out my week - when I'm good - with Pilates and weights, including gym workouts. I do not enjoy cardio unless it's something like BellyFit. My challenges are getting stuck in ruts and and arthritis. A big part of my workout plan is geared toward pain management and staying strong as I age.

My goals are to lose weight and tone up from being a slug March through early September, be ACTIVE again and boost my mood with movement. I have a desk job and that's part of the reason I get in ruts.

Right now my favorite workouts are programs on Glo, I'm in a Margaret Richard and yoga-ish check-in, and doing Alice Bracegirdle's Shakti Warrior program on Daily Om. I would like to incorporate my Kathy Smith, KCM and Ellen Barrett videos more often.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 10:30 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Hi - I've never participated in a check-in before because it seemed like too much of a commitment but now that I'm retired I'd like to give it a shot!

I'm Annette, live in Ohio and have been visiting this forum for MANY years. I don't post often but so enjoy reading what everyone is doing and gleaning advice.

I started working out in my 20's at a few different gyms but never really liked it. Somehow I came across a Kathy Smith video in the early 90's then found VF. I'm grateful to have then learned about Cathe, Karen Voight, Kari Anderson and so many others. I love step workouts but can't do them much anymore. Occasionally I'll just do the moves without the step but it isn't as much fun. I like weight workouts more than cardio these days and always plan on upping my game but that never seems to happen.

At the age I am now, my goals are to maintain strength and balance. I'd really like to lift up my rear end but have come to the conclusion it just ain't gonna happen. Love long shirts - haha.

I don't follow rotations and don't workout every day even though I'm not working any more. I do strive for a certain number of daily steps and our house is a 2 story so I'm constantly up and down. I don't feel the pandemic has had much impact on my workouts or state of mind. Being home doesn't bother me; I actually prefer it. Have never been a social butterfly.

Thanks Abbe for starting this check-in. I look forward to connecting with fellow VF'ers!
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 10:56 AM  
Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
Hi Abbe, thanks for starting this check-in. I will give it a try, but I have a bad track record of sticking with check-ins.
I adding my thanks also to Abbe for starting this check-in. I also have a bad track of sticking with check-ins, but I would like to share, be supportive and be supported with other VFers during this stressful time.

I will write more about me later today. If I don’t start my workout very soon, it’s not going to happen today.
Old 10-26-20, 11:52 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hi everyone & thanks for starting this check in Abbe!

My name is Pam and I live on Vancouver Island on the west coast of Canada. I am a retired RN and I teach Essentrics. I’ve also taught yoga, did my YTT about 10 years ago. I belong to two other check ins right now, Barefoot & on the Mat and Every Day.

I found VF about 15 years ago and started doing home workouts. My workout tastes have evolved due to a few issues and injuries. I was a runner for many years but knee & foot issues put a stop to that. I love to walk outdoors as much as possible, we live in a semi rural area just a block from the ocean. I love my walks by the shore! I am a bit of a cardio junkie.....hiking, rebounding, walking workouts, BellyFit. Right now I have a subscription to Walking Online Workouts, I love the music and visual cuing. Chatty instructors aren’t working for me right now. I am working on my level 4 Essentrics certification and teach once or twice a week. I also enjoy Kettlebells, barre, yoga, & a little Pilates. I like to string a few short workouts together as I love variety. I tend to do my own thing with yoga, usually gentle seated & reclined yin focused.

The pandemic hasn’t changed my exercise routine a huge amount, but I do miss going to classes. We used to go to the city quite often and I would go to yoga & barre classes at a couple of studios. Throughout the summer I taught on zoom and now I am teaching a very small group of friends live with social distancing. But I’m still not comfortable going to a studio class, not sure when I will be at this point.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 02:11 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm Anna, I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and have been really sporadic about working out since my hysterectomy a few years ago.

I'm hoping to mend that situation, but still working to figure out what kinds of things to do, and how often.

The pandemic put a crimp in my plans, I'd joined a gym and had been walking on a treadmill quite faithfully, but gave that up once I realized that I wasn't going to be comfortable being in a gym setting once the gym reopened.

My only plan is to keep trying different things. Maybe all I crave is variety?

Lately I've been doing kettlebell swings and a little qigong with Mimi Kuo-Deemer (and reading her book on self cultivation).

Thanks for this check in. I don't usually join this sort of thing, but again, maybe something new will be enough to get me on a better path.

How often do people like to check-in? Do you only post once you've worked out? Whenever you feel like typing?

How do you stay consistent?

I've been consistent with my bullet journal because I make a morning and evening ritual of it. Even if it's short, just that routine helps me keep steady. Somehow with workouts I can't find a groove.
Old 10-26-20, 03:05 PM  
Hsim

Hi, my name is Helene and I'm looking to keep myself accountable during the pandemic.I have been working in accounting and finance for 40 years hopefully retiring and moving to the west coast from the NYC burbs once this stupid pandemic is over.
I have been keeping up on my workouts fine. I generally like to go out walking a couple of times a day just to get some movement in and doing my main workout in the evenings. I like both strength and cardio.
I have been wanting to lose a couple of pounds forever. I figured that if I post my intentions on this check in I would be more likely to stick with it. We'll see. A girl can hope.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 03:09 PM  
Garrie A.

I this idea!

My name is Garrie, and I live in Virginia. I have two part-time jobs: first, I'm an assistant manager at a community college bookstore. Campus is closed to the public, but there is a limited staff to assist via phone, email, and appointments. Second, I'm a group fitness instructor at the local community center. I teach a variety of classes, but step is my favorite.

I discovered VF in the fall of 2012. That summer I fell in love with home exercise by discovering the classic Firms (on VHS) at a yard sale. The seller was selling the original six clamshell volumes all for $1. While looking online for reviews of other Firm workouts, VF would often pop up. Then I discovered the forum a year later. While I didn't join yet, I would often read the forums during my free period. This led me to discovering workouts by various other trainers. In 2014, I joined the forum but didn't get approved posting until August of 2016. That year I also joined a check-in group (Barefoot & On the Mat), where I'm still a member of. I don't check in as often as I do, but I do pop in every so often.

I enjoy a variety of workouts. My favorite trainer is Cathe, but I also enjoy KCM, Karen Voight, Christi Taylor, various Firm instructors (Tracie, Pam, Susan, and Heidi are my favorites), and Margaret Richard--just to name a few.

So far, the pandemic hasn't changed my exercise plans. While I teach classes, I do my own workouts at home--to my large (and still growing) collection. Most of the workouts I do at home are weight training. Right now I'm on my second round of Cathe's STS program, and last week just completed Mesocycle 1. This week is my "active recovery" week before moving into Mesocycle 2 (Hypertrophy ). My goal is to build muscle and get stronger.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 03:12 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi everyone! Thank you for joining!

Bunnyhop, there are no rules for how often to check in, but at least once a week would be a good goal.

I was in a check-in for a long time, but stopped posting when people only posted the name of the workout they did, and nothing else. I am hoping that we have more interaction between posters.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check in, check-in, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, new check-in, pandemic, social fitnessing