Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-27-20, 10:01 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. The fire has moved away from my area. It's still burning and there is still smoke but less than yesterday.

I did a shorter than usual workout (because smoke) Pahla B's Body Shaping Day 20 walking with weights followed by a ten minute morning yoga stretch.

Anita, how nice you'll be seeing your friends again - I got the impression you missed them when they moved out. Yuck on Gus upchuking in your bed. I hope he's OK and enjoying clean bed linens. We did have a mental list of what to take and put the most important stuff in the living room for quick packing. Our list was the same as yours pretty much. In all the years I've lived in CA and this is the first time a fire has come this close. It was worrisome. People who buy homes in the hills have to live with the possibility of fire every summer - we're in the middle of hign density urban living and thought we were pretty safe - which I guess we are 'cuz it didn't get here.

Laura, glad you were able to slow down and enjoy the day today. Please send some of that soaking rain you had yesterday west, we sorely need it.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-20, 08:34 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I did do all of my bed linens and blankets - a good 4 loads! All smells fresher now though . I'm planning on walking Gus, doing some more reading, and putzing. I'm thinking my dryer vent tube needs some cleanup, but have never done that on my own - eek! I'm thinking today would be good to try... Hope it goes well!

Laura, your day sounds a lot like mine walking Gus . Glad you enjoyed your walk!

Paula, glad the fires stayed away from your neighborhood! Are you dealing with a lot of smoke smell in your clothing and car and home? Yeah, I'm looking forward to my friends coming back here!

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-20, 05:23 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a busy day. I cooked lunch for me and dinner for DH. This morning, I did an interval workout. This afternoon, I took DH to a PT appointment. I'm still working on laundry. I'm not sure why this week has been so busy, but it's going quickly.

Tomorrow, we are supposed to get the remnants of Hurricane Zeta. It's 50/50 whether we will get any rain, but the wind sounds like it's pretty much a given, high winds most of the day. We need to remember to bring in the wreath off the front door. We have a very dep porch, so it would probably be fine, but you never know.

Anita - That much laundry of that variety (bed covers, etc.) is a workout itself. It's good it all got done.

Paula - Great that the the fire is not in your area any more. I hope it stays that way!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-20, 07:44 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Jessica Smith's HIIT for beginners level 1 followed by Yoga with Adriene - Home - shift.

Anita, I did two loads today - load #1 bed linens, load #2 towels. Glad it wasn't four loads but it's a good job done. We haven't had smoke ordor in our clothes but it's definately in the air. Yesterday when we went to drive the Subaru we were surprised to see ash all over the windshield even though the car hadn't been out of the garage. The high wind blew dust and ash everywhere. DH went to the hangar today to wash the ash and dust off the plane even though it's been in the hangar this entire time. It's sobering how "leaky" your home and garage really are. The condo itself was the best but still I spent today dusting.

Laura, your day sounds like mine - just busy with mundane stuff. Good luck with Zeta. Yes remove the wreath and plug up any gaps around your doors. I learned the hard way our front door had gaps I didn't realize were there - blew soot and ash into our entry with a will, I had to sweep then plug the gaps with an old towel.
Old 10-29-20, 05:39 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Hi. I'm going to stop apologizing for not being here regularly because at this point it will likely continue for some time. There is just too much going on. I am still exercising - running (was able to run 5K for the first time in over 2 years last week ), and strength training via a program from the Athletic Therapist I worked with late summer. Work is still very busy and our weekends are spent mostly helping family. FIL still battling terminal cancer, and my Mom is a mix of stage 5 and 6 out of 7 Alzheimers, so quite a bit of sadness we are trying to combat by spending time outside, with friends, playing guitar and drawing - me on the last two. DH turns 50 on Tuesday so a few friends will come by to have a piece of cake and raise a glass to him. This week I've had OT every day, but I think today should be somewhat normal. Anyway, I wanted to let you all know I think about you guys often, I just don't seem to get here.

Waves to you all!
Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 07:51 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on more putzing around and walking Gus today with friends. I did manage to get the vent tube off and take a look up my dryer's hose - not much as far as dryer fuzz, but I really don't have a good brush to get in there - it's too bent to get my vacuum cleaner pole sucker in there. I just feel a bit brave getting that vent open and looking .

Laura, I guess zeta isn't the end of the Greek alphabet? I just looked it up and it's #6 with 18 more left to go (omega is last) - what happens if they run out of greek letters? I take it you don't have any hanging baskets in your back yard? Hope the storm doesn't cause any house damage!

Paula, I think my house has some leaky parts too near the front door that would pick up on ash if it were here. Hope your airplane filters don't pick up a lot of ash as it would hurt the engine function. I hope rains come soon to kill these fires in CA.

Beth, so good to see you! Sherry was looking for you last week. Glad you're still exercising - running is great! How are your legs feeling now? I've not tried any running even 20 feet down my driveway... Is your mom still at home or living in a memory care facility? How about FIL - home or care facility? Happy birthday to DH!

Anita
Old 10-29-20, 12:49 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It has been a busy day. I had an interview at 11:00 and I tried to get a lot done before that. I did part of a Kendell Hogan cardio workout from Exercise TV. I also got a load of laundry washed and in the dryer. And I dragged our two cans (trash and recylables) into the garage.

It is a super unsettled day weather wise. The air is unsettled and we have lots of clouds, but the chief thing is the wind. It's really gusty. That's why I wanted to get the cans in. I didn't want to have to go down the street to get them.

The interview is for a position as a volunteer coordinator, a paid position that recruits and trains volunteers for the non-profit's programs. It's something I'm really interested in, but if I don't get it, it will be okay. We'll see what happens.

Anita - Yeah, the Greek alphabet doesn't line up with ours. I don't know why I expect it to. Good job getting the vent open!

Beth - It sounds like you have a lot going on right now. Drop in when you can. It's always good to see you.

Paula - Ugh on the ash. I hope it dies down soon as the fire near you dies down.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 09:00 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B's Body Shaping Day 22 - weights.

We took the boat out and had a nice day on the water - good to get out of the house for a few hours. The wind has gone down some and we're no long getting ash blown into the house.

Beth, thanks for stopping by and filling us in with what is going on in your life. We'll be here when you have time. Happy Birthday to your DH. So sorry to hear about the challenges you are facing with family. Hope your son is still able to attend and enjoying University.

Anita, could you use a plumbers snake to clean out the dryer vent? The fires are all up and down the west coast, into Oregon and even Washington. I think we're all hoping for rain or at least a die down of the wind and heat. The plane vents were fine, just dust and ash on the plane.

Laura, sounds like you had a busy day. I thought you were no longer looking for a "regular" job, but I hope you get it if you want it.
Old 10-30-20, 06:41 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I'm going off to work at WRC, then coming home to walk Gus. Otherwise planning on putzing. I'm hoping this snow will fully melt away next week so I can get some raking done! Today, I should finish the book I'm reading - I've made it an actual project to get a book done as I haven't read in a long time...

Laura, so do you have your trash can numbers memorized to be able to recognize your bins if blown away into a pile with neighbors? We used to have our own bins from about a dozen companies, but about two years ago, we got assigned one trash collector per city area - all the trash cans look the same, but each is identified by number and electronic tag. You're responsible for your can. I've got no clue what my number is . So are you glad to go back to working? I wouldn't mind going back to my secretarial work at circus if that ever happens, but doubt I'd ever go back to full time work somewhere. Have fun exploring if work is a good thing for you!

Paula, glad you were able to get a nice day on the water in your boat. I think a plumber's snake would be too narrow to get much out of that vent, but I may try to find a big fat brush attachment to the snake to clean out the vent (about 6" wide). Glad the ash hasn't affected any of your outdoor motors.

Anita
Old 10-30-20, 08:46 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. No formal workout but DH and I did fly to Catalina and hike the airport loop trail.

It looks like a good weather window to go to Catalina on the boat next week so we'll probably do that for at least a couple nights. Right now we're planning to leave on Monday. It will be nice to get out of the smoke for a couple days. It's not as bad as it was but it's still a constant. When we got to the plane this morning it had ash on it it even though it was in a hangar and DH went and dusted it all off yesterday. Ash in the air on Catalina too, but better than here.

Anita, I hope that snow melts off for you. I hear you about reading. I find I love to read on the boat, not sure why that is but settling in with my Kindle is something I just love to do on the boat. If we do this Catalina trip I'm going to download a couple books before we go. At home I rarely seem to just relax and read. Good luck finding an attachment for a snake. I'm sure there are some, but don't recall ever seeing one. Surely there are products out there designed for just this problem?