Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-20, 08:19 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
You're right, Lannette. I'm a monster.
No not at all. You just seem to enjoy stirring the pot. A lot of people do.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 08:28 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I’m friends with quite a few people on Facebook who haven’t posted here in years. I’m not sure why. Back in the 90s we were all part of a Strength Check-in that might even have been the first check-in here - looong since defunct. We all went to fitness conferences together, Cathe trips, Christi trips, Kari Anderson trips, etc. We got to be really good friends. And the Friday night VF chats that Wendy set up - sometimes we even had audio - were so much fun.

Way back when I was one of the early moderators (several of us were), there was quite a bit of tension and issues with various posters (not you, Alta). I think some of those who left just got tired of it all. I don’t even remember the fascia blaster brouhaha. This was other stuff and troublesome posters. People from other boards infiltrating and purposely causing problems. People creating totally false personas, sometimes multiple ones. It was pretty bad for a while.

Fun Fact: I’ll bet lots of VFers don’t know that Brenda from Cathe workouts was an early VFer and first met Cathe with us on a VF-only Cathe trip (as all the Cathe trips used to be). Lots and lots of good VF memories but, as everything does, VF changed with time. I’m really grateful for all the good friends I made here, some of whom I’ve never even met (you again, Alta)! I consider it a very important and wonderful chapter of my life.
Joni,

That is so cool! I recall knowing that Brenda from the Cathe workouts used to be on VF, but I never knew she met Cathe through a VF trip. I love that! Also, do I understand you correctly that Cathe's roadtrips started out at VF groups going to visit her gym? I feel like I'm among trend-setting celebrities! Wow.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 08:31 PM  
Lannette

hotncmom I’d probably read a thread you started about streaming workouts even though I don’t currently stream. I remember you posting info on Leah Sarago’s streaming site. What you posted actually helped me put together a rotation using my DVD collection and the concepts you described.

I really enjoy your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calistro View Post
Another one guilty of not posting as much as I used too. This is the most I have posted in a long time as I have been on A/L last week.

Some of my reasons for not posting.

1. Work fatigue. I come home exhausted.

2. Menopause. I am struggling to workout in general, so do not have much to talk about.

3. Old injuries plague me, which hinders the workouts that I actually try to do.

4. Menopause is ruining my sleep hygiene, so I am too fatigued to workout.

5. Not many instructors are putting out workouts on DVD these days, so I am not buying as much, which means I do not have much to get excited about, and I am not a streamer in general.

6. Did I mention Menopause? Well I am going through it and I have never been so unmotivated to do anything in my life. This is terrible I know.

I keep viewing workouts hoping to make me move more, but I just cannot keep up the consistency these days, yet I never needed to be told in the past to exercise.

Based on all these things I feel like a hypocrite for even coming here, but I still love VF and like to check in now and then. I hope I snap out of this lull soon.
I’m past the stage of menopause you describe but do remember it. I really enjoy your posts when I search for info and come upon them. I understand why you aren’t posting but do miss reading your posts.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 02-22-20, 08:40 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
I stopped posting when everything TA had to have someone swoop in like a mock superhero and warn people off of using her workouts. At the same time, some people would attack anyone with a different opinion, there were a few in particular that loved to come in and spank people who thought differently. (I got spanked a few times, and then I was just done).
This, in a nut shell was what happened with the fascia blaster threads. I’m sure I’m seen as the person who drove a member away. In truth that member was so busy trying to prove her point that she overlooked the fact she didn’t understand any of the science she was using to prove to us we were all wrong to enjoy using it. Then she claimed someone called her and made threats. It just got over the top silly.

Old 02-22-20, 09:05 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I know what you mean Sherry. I miss many of the people who used to post regularly and our interesting, often hilarious conversations. What fun we had!!

I def don't post like I used to, and I'm sorry about that. For many years this place felt like a haven full of friends. But life got in the way, priorities changed and many people left over time. A big part of why I'm not around much is that is I don't stream nor do I buy new workouts, and I'm really not interested in new instructors. So I have no reason to post on most current threads. I would check the GD forum daily but see nothing relevant to me. So after a while I stopped checking as often. :/

I'm busier (and MUCH more tired!) working as a preschool teacher than when I was homeschooling back in my younger days, and my screen time is *really* reduced. And, as someone mentioned, writing on a phone or tablet is not as easy or intuitive as on a desktop. It's much more of a pain, relatively speaking, and it's easy to lose whole messages. At least it is for me! Many times I've been in the middle of a lengthy response and it's so much work to keep fixing what I'm trying to say that I've just given up. Gosh I know that sounds pathetic but I just don't have the time I used to. :-(

Fwiw I typed this on my phone and it took me *ages*, lol.

ETA - I don't even know what this fascia blaster is/was...?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 09:10 PM  
Scorpio6

1) I remember 2-3 yrs ago, I had a thread going about ppl who did or didn't like a specific TV show and shortly into it, a disruptive person hopped in who tried to hijack the thread, I basically told her that what she was saying didn't fit in with the group and maybe she would like to go to a discussion that was a better fit. She came back with multiple insults shouting everyone else down and right after that Wendy shut down my thread.
After that I didn't post anything for probably 6 mos. I don't put up with that garbage.
IMHO the disruptive person should have been banned at least for period of time, but instead the rest of us can no longer discuss what we had had a home to discuss bc our whole thread was shut down bc of this one person. Bad moderator judgment, that is just rewarding bad behavior. So glad I didn't actually pay money to be a supporting member. This type of thing could be one reason there are fewer ppl and fewer posts. I'm sure I'm not the only one to have this type experience.

2) It seems there is much less variety than there used to be. The majority of what everybody wants to talk about is Cathe. I have no interest in her and never have. It's all Cathe threads, so I'm out of the conversation. Where are the barre ppl, the TA ppl. Seems like a lot of cattiness was at play, so no wonder, esp with the TA ppl, that there are fewer posts, less participation.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 09:33 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

I still agree with everyone who's posted that forums are losing more members than they gain.

I've noticed before that VFers don't generally post about leaving (and I can imagine a few reasons that they don't, especially because of the variety of reasons that they leave).

I don't really know about many other VFers, but I've spoken by e-mail with a former VFer whose posts I missed (and still miss). I myself had been away from VF at the time, and therefore I didn't see her departure when it happened; I didn't know that she'd stopped posting until she mentioned her decision in our e-mails. She didn't point me to the thread where she last posted, but I searched: there, she'd said that if another member didn't stop doing certain things, she'd leave VF, and that other member kept doing those things. I also definitely got the idea, though, that her departure was simply the final step in a long process.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 09:35 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Joni,

That is so cool! I recall knowing that Brenda from the Cathe workouts used to be on VF, but I never knew she met Cathe through a VF trip. I love that! Also, do I understand you correctly that Cathe's roadtrips started out at VF groups going to visit her gym? I feel like I'm among trend-setting celebrities! Wow.

Kim
Yes. We all loved Cathe and I emailed her and asked if a bunch of us could come and visit her gym. The first trip was about 10 people. I chickened out of the first two. She eventually started planning them herself, opened them up to others and started charging a fee.

I also contacted The Firm, set up the first couple of trips and chickened out. Finally started going.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 09:42 PM  
fanofladyvols

I routinely see threads about Ellen (and currently her hair ), various yoga, and Classical stretch. Also now with Tracie's new workout, I see threads on her.

There are threads about doing old workouts or new to you workouts.

Scorpio I'm sorry whatever thread you were involved in got shut down.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 09:45 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Yes. We all loved Cathe and I emailed her and asked if a bunch of us could come and visit her gym. The first trip was about 10 people. I chickened out of the first two. She eventually started planning them herself, opened them up to others and started charging a fee.

I also contacted The Firm, set up the first couple of trips and chickened out. Finally started going.
Wait...you started the process..and then didn't go?

Why on Earth not?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
absent vfers, ifit, new members, tommy rivs puzey, vf activity