Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-04-21, 08:08 AM  
Izzy

Happy New Year.

I started the year, January 1, spending the entire day taking down Christmas stuff. This year I carried up the 6 bins and put things away in a more orderly fashion. While doing this I also organized my basement some. I plan to do more of the basement later this month. I made a pile for Goodwill.

The rest of the weekend, I did some deep cleaning and add more to my pile to Goodwill.

Overall a productive way to start the New Year.
Old 01-04-21, 04:03 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hello Ladies and Happy New Year!

I hope you don't mind if I join you for 2021. One of my goals is to get my house in order and decluttering will be a big part of that. I've only just begun.

I'm currently reading Dana K. White's book "Decluttering at the Speed of Light" to help with the motivation.

So far I've only tackled my clothes towards the end of 2020, and for January I'm looking at all of my kitchen stuff now.

Has anyone heard of Dawn from "the Minimal Mom." She has lots of YouTube video. And I've recently discovered Cassandra, who categorizes people's organizing styles into bug names...Ladybugs, Butterflies, etc.

Anyway, I've done very little because I like to read....and workout, LOL!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 08:12 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

welcome Pam!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 09:41 AM  
BunnyHop

Hi Pam!

As for me, today's goal is to assemble stuff and actually take it to Goodwill for donation. That should lessen some clutter, which will be a relief.

Recently discovered UnF*** Your Habitat, and will be exploring that next for more ideas.
Old 01-05-21, 01:03 PM  
fanofladyvols

Welcome Pam!!

Thanks for sharing about Cassandra! She has a great on air persona. I couldn't get her quiz to work but I'm pretty sure I'm a butterfly with a lil cricket..haha.

Those descriptions were enlightening and will help me shift how I approach my household members. Love learning new stuff...thanks!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-21, 12:33 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Last night I attempted to organize my fitness DVDs, because they are overflowing and spilling out onto floor now. I made an even bigger mess by trying to categorize them, because I have more than I have the space for. I'm sure that's not surprising for you all, lol!

So, I have to quarantine, those that I'm not using, to get them out of my workout space...which is a cluttered disaster right now. Putting away those I'm not using will help me decide whether to keep or sell or donate...down the road.

So how do you all categorize your DVDs....(instructor, type of workout, brand/mfg.) I would normally save my prime spaces for my most used instructors or types of workouts. So....Cathe, KCM, Jessica, Leslie, Ellen...tend to be who I reach for. But, my yoga and pilates collections are huge...as is CS/Essentrics, kettlebells, ballet and barre. I've also really gotten into Tai Chi, and Qi Gong...so just too much stuff. What I use the least are step workouts and most of my barre, ballet, and pilates...so they will probably go...bye, bye. It's just crazy how much I've accumulated over the years.

So how do you all manage your workout inventory. What about fitness equipment...bands, tubing, balls, etc.

Thank you for the kind welcome, everyone!

Linda: Cassandra is a hoot! I watched her decluttering ten things from her kitchen yesterday and she started dancing and singing. She has such a FUN personality! Oh and she said that she doesn't know song lyrics and just makes up the words...except for Bohemian Rhapsody. She totally cracks me up!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-21, 12:49 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
So how do you all categorize your DVDs....(instructor, type of workout, brand/mfg.) I would normally save my prime spaces for my most used instructors or types of workouts. So....Cathe, KCM, Jessica, Leslie, Ellen...tend to be who I reach for. But, my yoga and pilates collections are huge...as is CS/Essentrics, kettlebells, ballet and barre. I've also really gotten into Tai Chi, and Qi Gong...so just too much stuff. What I use the least are step workouts and most of my barre, ballet, and pilates...so they will probably go...bye, bye. It's just crazy how much I've accumulated over the years.

So how do you all manage your workout inventory. What about fitness equipment...bands, tubing, balls, etc.
hi Pam!
I have ended up with 4 sections - mostly because my DVD storage space has 4 sections. 1 has cardio; 1 has essentrics/barre/pilates; 1 yoga & stretch; 1 strength & cardio strength. Within each section I group by instructor.

I recently made my DVD collection look smaller by combining workouts - so I have 3 callanetics I kept - all three are now in 1 case. Joyce Vedral's 2 just joyces - 1 case. It seemed like a bit of cheat but my DVDs now fit in the space I've got.

The other thing I've done is found workouts (older ones mostly) on youtube and made a playlist and ditched the DVD. Not for favorite workouts, but older ones I was hanging onto for the 'just in case I want to revisit'.

All my equipment is in a built in cabinet in our bookcase. Not exactly organized but out of sight!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-21, 04:43 PM  
Vantreesta

Welcome, Pam!

Yesterday I got all the Christmas stuff taken downstairs except for a garland I have to stand on the kitchen counter to take down. I worked on getting everything else back in the tubs so the tubs can go in the closet. I didn't go through any of it bc I put so little up this year that I didn't have much out or feel like getting it out. To be honest, now is not the best time for me to do that anyway bc I can't let go of anything remotely sentimental right now with the losses still so fresh.

Today I got the living room back to its normal arrangement, dusted and vacuumed and got all the dragons back to their home in and on the entertainment center. I had to laugh at myself last night. I spent some time tidying up all my papers & journals & all that stuff bc I'm such a nester and have everything on the loveseat with me. I got done & stepped back to look at it. Yep it's tidy alright. Tidy clutter! :eyeroll:
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 01:29 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

yay Vantreesta!

i dropped off 3 large boxes of donations at Savers - clothing, books, knick knacks, old vhs movies.

i looked around but didn't buy anything. i saw Janis Saffell's Beverly Hills Pilates, but decided to put it back on the rack.

we cleared out an area in the sewing room for DS18 to put his new adjustable height desk that we got on sale at Costco. He just started freshman year in college and is doing virtual learning.

the sewing room is my She Shed: has my sewing and craft supplies, my workout DVDs, i had a TV set up in there and DVD player, it has a file cabinet, etc. but my son needs a place to study - he was cramped into his room with a tiny table for his laptop.

i got to see all of my DVDs together. i just have way, way, way too many.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 08:37 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
hi Pam!
I have ended up with 4 sections - mostly because my DVD storage space has 4 sections. 1 has cardio; 1 has essentrics/barre/pilates; 1 yoga & stretch; 1 strength & cardio strength. Within each section I group by instructor.
The only difference that I have is my strength section is divided up into upper, lower, abs/core, and full body. Then those are divided by instructor. I do have sets that are in multi disk cases on their own shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I got done & stepped back to look at it. Yep it's tidy alright. Tidy clutter! :eyeroll:
Vantreesta you have it in the staging area! At least that's what I tell folks here when I see them create a pile like that. I like it when that happens because boy does that pile get the ole bullseye from me.
Sounds like you were busy.. good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i got to see all of my DVDs together. i just have way, way, way too many.
Uh oh...that's not a reaction you want to have when you have them all together. They should bring you joy. The vidiot in me says put them back in different places again, lol.

Maybe you need to condense like eventmom has. This week i purged a few that were in my purgatory but I still have a few more there. I just don't want to be hasty because some DVDs are not easy to replace...at least not at the price I would pay.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter