Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-18, 03:20 PM  
Tugger31

Yoga in Disguise (?)

I like how I feel after yoga, both a slower/gentle yoga with poses held for about a minute or so (Travis has a practice where the poses are held 2 minutes and my mind starts wandering to my grocery list etc) and after doing more Power/Cardio yoga. But with the Power type yoga it seems like it's all the same routine....do alot of sun salutations, then some warriors stuff then move to floor etc.

I want to work on my flexibility and body weight strength (with yoga...or maybe I need to look more at pilates or both??) but I can't seem to find something I can do as more of a rotation (instead of something 1-2 times a week) without getting bored or without yearning for my more traditional workouts (which for me are Cathe and FIRMs primarily)

I own UY 180 but the practices are a bit too long to do daily for my schedule. I do like the general feel of those, but I need more variety. I think I'd do better with an actual rotation/workout set but it's not absolutely necessary.

I'm looking only for dvds at this time.

Anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-18, 03:41 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Have you tried The Blissology Project? It's Eoin Finn, and it's 6 DVDs you alternate throughout the week - 5 with 2 variations of the workout, short around half an hour, or long, 45 min to an hour. It also has daily meditations of 10 minutes each. The 6th day "weekend" is only a 27 minute practice.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-18, 04:37 PM  
Tugger31

Thanks! I'll give it a try. Bonus, is on sale for $15
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-18, 06:37 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavtx View Post
Have you tried The Blissology Project? It's Eoin Finn, and it's 6 DVDs you alternate throughout the week - 5 with 2 variations of the workout, short around half an hour, or long, 45 min to an hour. It also has daily meditations of 10 minutes each. The 6th day "weekend" is only a 27 minute practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Thanks! I'll give it a try. Bonus, is on sale for $15
i just got this set recently for a super duper price - like <$10 shipped.

i love it so far.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 11:11 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Can't go wrong with anything Eoin!

I can also suggest these YouTube Yoga pages. I know you said DVD but these are FREE! And GOOD!
Hearth Alchemy Yoga (SO many good practices!) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOi...H3aJL7pJGHpCpA

Five Parks Yoga has good variety. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrt...u1dVKMpXNhjwpA

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-18, 10:10 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Don't discount Ellen Barrett for sneaky workouts that focus on flexibility/core strength/body weight strengthening. Her stuff is all yoga/Pilates/dance based. Some of her older offerings (Yogini, I'm talking about you ) are more challenging than you would think yet leave you feeling awesome! And most of them are around 45 minutes or so.

PS....KateTT, thanks for those links! Those look great and I'll have to try them sometime!!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-18, 11:34 AM  
bubbles76

Kittybug, what do you think of Ellen's older Crunch workouts? Yogini is one of my favorites. I also like Jessica's workouts on her Strength, Balance, and Flexibility dvd. Sort of has an Ellen vibe to it.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-18, 11:43 AM  
meg39

How about Ruah Warrior or Ruah Release? I feel like they are both yoga and pilates based. Also are chaptered so you can do the hour long workout, or just the sections you like. On Ruah Warrior, the standing section is 30 min long, but it repeats the entire sequence after 15 minutes, so I hit FF and go on to the floor section to shorten the workout. They both also have nice ending stretches and savasana.
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-18, 11:57 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Kittybug, what do you think of Ellen's older Crunch workouts? Yogini is one of my favorites. I also like Jessica's workouts on her Strength, Balance, and Flexibility dvd. Sort of has an Ellen vibe to it.
OH yes, Jessica rocks!

I'm more of a fan of Ellen's Studio series (love, love, love them) than her Crunch workouts, but they aren't bad either!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-18, 01:29 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

you can try fusion workouts - those tend to combine yoga with pilates or barre.

Karen Voight is notable in this area, as is Ellen Barrett. another is Jennifer Kries. Exhale Core Fusion has many options - this is taught by husband/wife team Fred DeVito and Liz Halfpap.

another option is to find yoga w/o sun salutes. there's a tag search for that since some people dislike sun salutes.

or find yoga that's "all seated" or mostly seated, either on the floor or a chair.

yet another option is to look for athletic stretch workouts - what immediately comes to mind are Madeleine Lewis, Cathe, and Tamilee Webb.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eoin finn