Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-03, 08:45 AM  
Phyllis

low impact aerobics

Hi, Can anyone recommend an advanced low impact aerobic video? I've done Charlene Prickett, but honestly I can't handle her chattiness and the music is boring - I do admire her though. I do all of Cathe's strength vids, but am not into step at all and don't really do hi-low. I'm fifty and do mostly kickbox for cardio. I'm also choreographically challenged. Thanks for your help.

Mar
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 09:03 AM  
Barb L
VF Supporter

Tried rebounding yet?

I f you are at all advanced aerobically, it's hard to find lo-impact sufficiently challenging.

My favorite alternative for reducing impact and still using simple aerobic moves is the rebounder. (This is a mini-trampoline, in case the word is new to you.)

I put on a disco audio tape (I use power walking tapes--good steady beat) and perform all the standard aerobic moves: kickbacks, knee-ups, jacks, front-side-back kicks, etc. You can easily adjust heartrate by modifying arm movements.

I bought my rebounder for 20 bucks at Wal-Mart, and it works just fine, although there are fancier ones available. Mine doesn't fold up, but stands upright against a wall for storage.
Old 02-06-03, 09:19 AM  
KayM

CIA 9701

I'd like to recommend CIA 9701. It's called Boot Camp and Step and Stretch. I've actually NEVER done the Boot Camp portion, but the "Step and Stretch" portion is FANTASTIC.

Donna Read leads the step and it is, I would say, high-intermediate intensity with very little high-impact (I found it very easy to modify to low-impact). It's got complex choreography so it would probably take a few times to get the moves down, but it will keep you interested for a while!!

The stretch afterwards is a 20-minute fusion of stretching (yoga flavored, but not yoga moves) and balance moves. It is a very nice stretch! Led by Helen Vandenburg.
KayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 09:40 AM  
Phyllis

Rebounder

Barb - That sounds interesting, but if it's a trampoline, how do you balance yourself to do aerobics. I can't visualize this.
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 09:56 AM  
Pilar
VF Supporter

CIA 9903

Quote:
Originally posted by KayM
I'd like to recommend CIA 9701. It's called Boot Camp and Step and Stretch. I've actually NEVER done the Boot Camp portion, but the "Step and Stretch" portion is FANTASTIC.

Donna Read leads the step and it is, I would say, high-intermediate intensity with very little high-impact (I found it very easy to modify to low-impact). It's got complex choreography so it would probably take a few times to get the moves down, but it will keep you interested for a while!!

The stretch afterwards is a 20-minute fusion of stretching (yoga flavored, but not yoga moves) and balance moves. It is a very nice stretch! Led by Helen Vandenburg.
CIA 9701 is Donna Read's step workout. CIA 9903 is the one that Kay writes about. Both are fantastic! I agree with Kay, though, that 9903 sounds like what you may want.

Pilar
Old 02-06-03, 10:12 AM  
KayM

Thanks Pilar!

I got mixed up on my CIA's. I never can remember those darn numbers! Thanks for correcting me.
KayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 03:18 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Urban Tai Chi

I only have the first one though, haven't seen the later ones. I also do lots of fast walking. You're right. vigorous low impact workouts are hard to find.
Old 02-06-03, 05:44 PM  
Barb L
VF Supporter

It's a very small trampoline!

The diameter is about 35 inches on mine. The surface is actually quite firm--mine is anchored around the rim with fabric straps, so it isn't as bouncy as the more expensive models with springs.

You don't really bounce UP, but rather press your feet down into the surface. Lots of knee flexion and core muscles come into play. I suppose it takes little practice to get the balance, but not much. It just puts a little spring into a normal aerobic move and softens the impact a LOT.
Old 02-06-03, 06:13 PM  
giacchina
VF Supporter

CIA 9901, 9908

CIA 9901 has Andre Houle doing a mostly low impact hi/lo routine (I think the high is easily modified) and a step routine that's also mostly low impact.

CIA 9908 with Jennifer Mills Palmer again has a low impact hi/lo and step routine. Lots of TIFTing, though. Lots.

Jackie
giacchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 06:47 PM  
bethlee

low impact suggestions

Kick It! esp if you like kickbox for cardio. I just did it again last night. I really like this tape!

If you're interested, I have Andre's CIA 9901 available on the exchange.

bethlee
bethlee is offline   Reply With Quote