Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-16-20, 11:45 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, I love that idea of the extra-long walk! Glad your niece has the court date coming up; I hope that helps too.

So, the workshop today was VERY crowded. It was in the studio where I teach, which is small--I've never seen so many people there! The first part was the yin practice, with a focus on heart-opening. The instructor didn't really give a lot of info and didn't talk about the meridians at all. Although she gave alternatives for some of the poses, she didn't seem particularly skilled about telling people how to use props or adapting. Also, she had us do broken wing pose (#4 on this page: https://www.annieauyoga.com/library/...-forgiving-now) and there wasn't nearly enough room for people to put their arms out straight. She could have told people to put their arms at right angles--which is what I did and which works just as well for the shoulder opening--but she just kind of laughed about it. The instructor was also pretty soft-spoken and hard to hear. It's tough b/c the studio is next door to a cidery, and they were loud today, so that made it more challenging for people near the wall (like me). We actually have a water feature at the studio, and it was on for awhile, but the instructor asked that we turn it off at one point. (The students then voted to have it turned back on for the sound bath; I was actually disappointed in this, as I could ignore the voices from next door but felt that the loud water competed with the sound bath.)

So, the yin practice was fine overall, but there were factors that took away from the enjoyment of it. The sound bath was nice, although again, I felt that the over-full studio and the competing noises took away from the full effect. I would definitely do another sound bath but would probably try to go to a different studio/teacher (which is a shame because I get a discount on workshops at my studio!).

I don't mean to be overly negative; the fact that I've had a migraine off and on for several days now probably has not helped. I am glad I went.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-20, 11:38 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

CS 1101

I really enjoyed CS 1101 this morning. I like how the workout is done slowly yet works the muscles deeply. I felt well stretched afterwards.

Sandra, will you be attending your niece's sound bath yoga class next month?

Beth, the water feature at the studio would have been a distraction for me too and I would have preferred to only hear the sound bath without water sounds. I know a lot of people like water fountain sounds but I do not (it makes me think I'm listening to a man peeing in a toilet! )
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-20, 12:52 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, you always crack me up--you have a way with words. I don't mind the water feature when I'm teaching, as it does help with the bar sounds and I'm playing music anyway. But it's a bit different when you're there for a sound bath!

I'm enjoying be home home for the holiday today, especially since I finally seem to be through the latest migraine series!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 02-17-20, 03:03 PM  
Anny

Sandra thank you for the start. I am so sorry to hear about the problems your family member is going through. And it is good that your niece has a court date - hugs and here’s hoping all is well!

Paine I would find the cold winter to be challenging as well. Brrr.

Garrie I loved reading about your Barre training. I bet you had DOMs. I am looking forward to hearing about the class you teach on Thursday.

Beth it must be difficult with the ongoing migraines. And I am surprised that there wasn’t a maximum number for the class you did. It seems like setting a reasonable maximum and then a wait list or a second class would be better than holding an overcrowded class.

I’m continuing with yoga and walking. Almost finished the Home 30 Day challenge.

Last night I tossed and turned all night and had very little sleep. I have a busy work day today so I will have to see how I go.
Old 02-17-20, 06:49 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Anny, there was a max number of people--apparently there was a wait-list of 25! I still think it was too many for the space. Sorry about your tossing and turning last night; that sucks when you have to work the next day. Hope you got through okay!

We haven't heard from Linda in awhile; hope she is doing okay.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 02-17-20, 08:18 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Anny, I empathize with your lack of sleep last night. Tonight will be better because you'll be tired.

Beth, I hope Linda is OK and is happy with her man.
Old 02-18-20, 04:38 AM  
Anny

Beth that does seem a large number of people for a small space!

Thank you Paine - here’s hoping tonight goes as you suggested.

I also hope Linda is busy and happy.

Day 26 of the Home 30 day challenge today... almost there!
Old 02-18-20, 11:54 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

YouTube: 30 Minute Restorative Yoga and Meditation (Yoga by Candace)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKVu...I&index=2&t=0s

Today is a very low energy day so the restorative yoga was nice.
Old 02-18-20, 02:15 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

No workout yesterday. I took my usual rest day, even though I had a holiday from work.

Today's Workout: Margaret Richard Unplugged 1922, followed by Classical Stretch 908 (one of Miranda's rare all-floor routines). I should have time for at least a short walk before my library shift this afternoon.

Paine: My niece has invited me to several of her classes and workshops over the years -- and I've never gone. I'm not a huge yoga fan, but my niece recently caught my attention when she mentioned the students she has who are well into their 70s. The sound bath workshop she and her friends are putting on this Saturday and next is very appealing, but I do work on Saturdays.

Linda: If you peek in, let us know how you and Meow Meow are doing!

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-20, 02:28 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Sandra, CS 908 is one of my favorite "all floor" workouts. I always liked to do it after a more difficult upper body weight lifting workout.