Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-14-20, 12:02 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Great link on the banana pose Vannie! I think Jill called it boomerang. I don't have the YTU lower body series any more because I just never used it but I did like that pose and do it on occasion. But I think the blog gets into it in more depth so I can optimize it and understand it's benefits more. I got a good chuckle at the description of Cyric as your parachute!

Last night I did Jill Miller's YTU shoulders, the 10 minute quick fix. I hadn't done "open sesame" in a while and got a nice release in my left side near the collar bone. After that I did some arm circles and was amazed at how my ROM between the left and right was so much symmetrical. I need to remember to keep that sequence in mind.

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-20, 01:04 PM  
Vantreesta

Ahh, boomerang. I was figuring she called it smthg but couldn't think of what. It's kind of like the standing rainbow stretch but I like the floor version better. I love the lower body series but most of my issues are there. I like the upper body series too but haven't used it as much. The foot quick fixes were essential when I was dealing with PF at the coffee shop. I love open sesame too. I do that regularly bc it's in the YFR post-run practice. I also like reverse crucifix. I was reading this week that dolphin pose can help with upper back so I want to do it for several days and see. Sometimes I get tight and achy btwn my shoulder blades.

Yes, Cyric definitely made it a resistance run for a while! I was concerned he was getting tired or smthg but on the way back in he sped up again so who knows. That boy is as weird as his mom.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-20, 06:58 PM  
Vantreesta

Yesterday we ran 2.55 mi for 10k trainer wk5 day1. Well, I ran that, Cyric ran about half. This was 5 min runs separated by 3 min walks and I didn't want to push him too hard since he's only been doing those short sprints. He probably would have been fine but that's okay. I did my own stretch after, which did include most of my PT stretches.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 02-16-20, 07:58 PM  
MathTeacher

I finally felt like exercising tonight. I did two chapters of Turbo Barre. That makes me happy!
Old 02-16-20, 08:21 PM  
Vantreesta

Yay, MT! Glad you're feeling better!

Old 02-16-20, 10:03 PM  
Miss Scarlett

I said a prayer for you MT. Glad you're feeling better
Old 02-17-20, 10:28 AM  
Catahoula Cate

MT, so glad you are feeling better!

Vannie, I like the floor version of boomerang/banana pose better too. I do the YTU upper body quick fix a lot for the shoulders, and last night I did Jill's massage therapy kit for the feet. I'll have to look up dolphin pose. It sounds familiar. Similar to down dog? Even though I haven't gotten anything new from Jill for a while, she's still my major "go to" in my dvd collection.

Do The Next Thing!
Old 02-17-20, 12:45 PM  
Vantreesta

Katie, yes, dolphin is basically down dog but your upper body is supported by your forearms instead of your hands.

Last night I added another exercise to my PT so now I am doing these exercises and stretches:
side-lying thoracic-lumbar rotation
a static hip flexor exercise with resistance (I forget what she called it)
pelvic tilt with leg extension
banded clams with 5 sec hold
banded side-lying hip abductions with 5 sec hold
banded glute bridge, hamstring bridge and butterfly bridge, all with 5 sec hold
toe down single leg deadlifts (bc my balance hasn't been good enough lately to do unmodified)
supine: figure 4 stretch, hamstring stretch, figure 4 with rotation, eagle rotation
side-lying quad stretch
banana pose
modified scorpion (prep)

Not sure what some of those might be called but that's what I call them. Last night took 23 minutes. I've been in a car more the last several days and I can feel my hip flexors are extra tight so today I need to do the psoas release and hip traction again.

Did you see Cori's new YT video on not stretching the hamstrings?

Old 02-18-20, 01:48 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Vannie, looks like you've developed a really good PT protocol. I have a list too for upper body and lower body. It does help me.

I did see Cori's new video on not stretching the hamstrings. Do you have any thoughts on it? I still need to a hamstring stretch for the right side but I haven't done the touch your toes method for a long time now. Besides, I never felt a stretch doing that in my hamstrings anyway. I always felt it in my calves. My PT gave me a great tutorial that is so simple and more effective for the hamstrings. Cori's video sure gave me some things to think about though. Because my right piriformis over activates easily, I'm trying her side lying straight leg method for the right side with heel pointing towards the ceiling more.

We are in single digits today and below zero for tonight but the forecast looks great after this. Hard to believe but this could be our coldest day for winter until next year.

Do The Next Thing!
Old 02-18-20, 05:25 PM  
MathTeacher

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Catie!