Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-13, 02:29 PM  
Carb8985

Workouts Similar to Tonique BTM?

I've been doing Tonique's Born to Move workout since it came out in January. I really loved the challenge at the beginning (and the results, too!). My endurance and cardio capacity - which I never realized were not very good - have improved tremendously. However, I'm really getting burnt out on this workout. Although the workout has gotten easier, it's still extremely challenging, and some days, I just can't face it and nor do I want to, because working out should be something I enjoy and not dread. Plus I love Sylwia and don't want to not be able to face her workouts again in the future.

Anyway, are there any workouts that are similar to Tonique BTM with lots of squat/lunge variations in a high-rep format? I especially love the diagonal/crossover lunges that Sylwia does. I read on here that Slim Series is similar to Tonique. Is that true? Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

(I have the earlier Toniques. Tonique Premier, CardioMat, Tonique 2, etc.)
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 02:55 PM  
deineira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb8985 View Post

Anyway, are there any workouts that are similar to Tonique BTM with lots of squat/lunge variations in a high-rep format? I especially love the diagonal/crossover lunges that Sylwia does. I read on here that Slim Series is similar to Tonique. Is that true? Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

(I have the earlier Toniques. Tonique Premier, CardioMat, Tonique 2, etc.)
I have not seen anything quite like Sylwia personally, but you may get some good recommendations here...I'm not as well-versed as the other folks about other instructors. I would recommend you check out the Dream Body series, though. It's higher rep, low weight, and lots of barre, lunge, squat moves.

You could also check out Tracy Anderson floor work, but it's not going to have the same cardio effect, but the floor work is sort of similar.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 07:46 PM  
casey

I think Tracy Mallet Booty Barre Arms and Abs and Booty Barre Totally New Body are high reps but not lunges, it's more of plies, squats, rear leg kicks, front leg kicks, planks and Ab work. But if you are looking for high rep leg work, it's the ticket. I do lots of Tonique workouts, too, and I understand about your BTM burnout worry. I like Squeeze Stronger too for the same hi rep feel. Also, Jari Love has hi reps but heavier weights than Sylwia. Karen Voight Great Weighted workout is hi reps but not the same as Sylwia.

No one is like Sylwia, though. The workouts I suggested are for variation with a high rep feel, so you don't get bored
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-13, 12:40 AM  
lila_says

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
I think Tracy Mallet Booty Barre Arms and Abs and Booty Barre Totally New Body are high reps but not lunges, it's more of plies, squats, rear leg kicks, front leg kicks, planks and Ab work. But if you are looking for high rep leg work, it's the ticket. I do lots of Tonique workouts, too, and I understand about your BTM burnout worry. I like Squeeze Stronger too for the same hi rep feel. Also, Jari Love has hi reps but heavier weights than Sylwia. Karen Voight Great Weighted workout is hi reps but not the same as Sylwia.

No one is like Sylwia, though. The workouts I suggested are for variation with a high rep feel, so you don't get bored
Hmmm I have to disagree. I have all of the dvds you mentioned except for the Karen Voight one. While they're all decent workouts I don't think they're even at half the intensity level of Tonique dvds in general, & definitely not BTM in particular.

Casey, I'm wondering if you might agree with me on this, that the dvds you mentioned are more what a Tonique-lover should turn to on low energy/sick/injury days?
lila_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-13, 05:21 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

I don't think there are any other workouts that's I've seen or read about that are much like BTM. I personally don't even think the other Toniques are much like BTM except that they are high rep workouts that have lots of squats and lunges.

BTM is in a class by itself IMO. Waaaaay harder than her other standing workouts (Premier and Tonique 2. I can't comment on Sculpt Dynamics because I don't use that one).

I did Jari's Revved to the Max the other day and found it to be strenuous in a similar sort of way even though I had to modify to add some reps here and there and use much heavier weights.

I think Sylwia's constant movement in BTM of both arms and legs for almost the entire workout, plus the way she uses the floor with her arms is what makes it so tough.

Only MMA type workouts with pushups, sprawls and use of a heavy bag seem as tough to me but obviously with a completely different feel.

Edited to add that I used to use the standing portion of Karen Voight's GWW plus the standing portion of Slim Series Tone it Up back to back to equal a one hourish high reps workout that works arms and legs the entire time. I haven't done that in ages but remember feeling nicely worked out by that. I remember buying Slim Series and found Tone It Up to be the only one worth keeping.

Also, Gilad's Step and Tone (the step portion 35 min) is a nice little gem, but that works your legs with a step not lunges. It's a great way to get cardio in while toning with light weights.
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-13, 07:39 AM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb8985 View Post
I read on here that Slim Series is similar to Tonique. Is that true? Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!
No other recs but I'm using the previous version of Slim in 6 to gear up for a Tonique rotation.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-13, 08:07 AM  
Carb8985

Thanks everyone for your recommendations!! I have Squeeze Stronger and Booty Barre and can see how those would also be good for building stamina and endurance.

I had a feeling you all would say that Tonique BTM is in a league of its own because that has been my experience as well. I have never seen or done a workout quite like it!!

I will look into Jari Love and Slim Series as they seem like high-rep, endurance-based workouts and would probably be good for when I need a break from Tonique but want to work my muscles in the same or a similar way.

I also agree that what makes BTM so tough is the constant movement of both your arms and legs. In fact, when I'm trying to take BTM down a notch, I do just the leg movements and that really helps. I highly recommend trying that if you're to build up to the workout.

Thanks again everyone!
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-13, 09:19 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I don't think Slim Series is similar at all. I used to be able to run up to 3 miles after my Slim Series workouts.

Even though it isn't exactly like BTM, have you tried any of the Dream Body workouts?
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-13, 10:14 AM  
casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lila_says View Post
Hmmm I have to disagree. I have all of the dvds you mentioned except for the Karen Voight one. While they're all decent workouts I don't think they're even at half the intensity level of Tonique dvds in general, & definitely not BTM in particular.

Casey, I'm wondering if you might agree with me on this, that the dvds you mentioned are more what a Tonique-lover should turn to on low energy/sick/injury days?
You are right there's nothing like Tonique. Also, there's nothing as hard as BTM in the Tonique selection. I went and did Tonique 2.2 after doing BTM for a month and it was so much easier but still worked me and was fun. It's just that BTM is so challenging to the point where I'm not sure I can keep doing a movement in a segment to the very end. Tonique 2 works my muscles great, but I know I can always finish each and every rep.

FrostyJan Revved to the Max by Jari Love is such a great workout but I think I burned out on it last year. It always slimmed down my legs and made my legs muscles sore. It's also very shoulder intensive. It has so many lunges and squats. I just got tired of doing it every week. I will put in back in my rotation eventually.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-13, 11:10 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyjan View Post
I think Sylwia's constant movement in BTM of both arms and legs for almost the entire workout, plus the way she uses the floor with her arms is what makes it so tough.
Do any of you think that any of the Firms that use a lot of 4 limbed aerobics would be similar? It's been so long since I've done a Firm (and what I have is mostly on VHS) that I honestly can't remember. Or perhaps some of the Tracy Longs?

I'm in the same dilemma...I love BTM and don't want to burn out on it either. I recently took a three week break so I wouldn't burn out and also to explore some other things. I revisited it today and it was so much fun - but I still worry. I don't want it to stop being fun - but I know I've burned out on other instructors I've loved, so I'm being cautious here.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
born to move, sprawl, tonique