Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-11, 08:45 PM  
Buzzer

Buttons! I am so sorry I lost my soul mate bunny on 9/23/07, and I still cry for him. Sometimes I will see something, or feel something that feels like him, or think of something about him, and I will just cry. It was like losing a family member. They are so entwined in our lives, always there for us. Mourn my friend, let yourself mourn. Don't rush getting over it. Odie deserved every day you gave him, and you deserved every day you had with him.

I listened to podcasts at work to distract myself so I wouldn't cry, and lifted weights so heavy that all I could do was focus on my workout and not on my grief. I also had to listen to the radio to fall asleep so I wouldn't cry myself to sleep. It was so hard, and still is.

Take care of yourself, and celebrate the days you had.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 08:45 PM  
pattyr

((buttons)) Please don't be so hard on yourself. I lost my 15 year old cat in November and I thought my world had come to an end. It was truly the most difficult time of my life. Way more difficult than my divorce... I had a choice there. With my cat's illness, there was no choice. I did everything I could to try to save him, but it was just too much and he died while we were sitting in the vets office waiting for him to be put to sleep. I was crushed and the guilt and grief I felt were tremendous.

I got my first dog six weeks later. While he didn't replace my cat, he really helped to occupy my mind and to ease my pain. He gave me something new to think about, take care of, and love. I still think of my cat at least a few times each week and I miss him. But I can tell you from experience that the sharpness of the pain does ease. You will be able to remember happy things about your baby and smile rather than fall apart. It just takes some time.

The best advice I received when I was so deep in my grief was to be gentle with myself. That is my advice to you. You will get back to being "you" again. Be patient and let yourself grieve.
Old 08-23-11, 08:48 PM  
JBliff

Buttons, I can definitely relate. I just lost my furbaby of 20 years this week. It's OK to grieve for a while. For me, exercise has been very therapeutic.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 09:37 PM  
mtngoat

Oh, Buttons, my heart just ached for you when I read your post. Odie sounds like a special kitty, and how wonderful that you had two 'bonus' years to cherish with him. I agree with Debbie, walking outdoors, especially someplace beautiful and green, helps sooth the pain.

DeeDee and JBliff, my condolences to you as well.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 09:52 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngoat View Post
Oh, Buttons, my heart just ached for you when I read your post. Odie sounds like a special kitty, and how wonderful that you had two 'bonus' years to cherish with him. I agree with Debbie, walking outdoors, especially someplace beautiful and green, helps sooth the pain.

DeeDee and JBliff, my condolences to you as well.
My heart goes out to all of you as well.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 09:59 PM  
DEEDEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
(((buttons))) I'm so sorry for your loss. Truly we are. So many of us have been in your shoes, and we know the pain you are going through. You must let yourself grieve. Losing a fur child is like losing any loved one. I have always said that outdoor walking is nature's Prozac. If possible, try switching it up by walking outdoors. The fresh air will do wonders.

DeeDee, I'm so sorry for you loss, too!
Thank you Debbie.
DEEDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 10:41 PM  
buttons11

thank you ms furmomof5...yes he was an amazing cat...we called him the stubborn ole fart....we loved that about him...it is peculiar though...I've lost Dad, Grandma and Mom and all those are significant losses for sure, but this one is uniquely painful...even w/family, they weren't part of my daily adult life that included faithful, constant love & affection...day in & day out...not easily explainable to non pet lovers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEDEE View Post
I'm so sorry buttons...I had to let my little mutt Chui go on August 17, 2011, three weeks before his 15th birthday
gosh ms DEEDEE we are in the same boat here...
I'm so sorry for your loss too...I can tell you cherished each moment w/your Chui...I think I was a bit numb the first couple days, seeing Odie in his usual place, expecting him to come meowing for his fish oil on his food while I brush my teeth...it's sooo quite w/o him...Odie was the same, his last 3 years were really very good and only after his kidney function took a dive his last 4-5 days did he feel poorly...so many good times that far, far outweighed the difficult ones...so worth every so called 'inconvenience'...not one regret

hang in there ms DEEDEE, I think you have the right idea focusing on all your good times w/your lil bubby...hugs back at you...
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 11:22 PM  
bee1forfitness

(((hugs))) it's ok Buttons, you need time to grieve. Please take care
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 11:37 PM  
DEEDEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons11;1874608

[COLOR="purple"
I think I was a bit numb the first couple days, seeing Odie in his usual place, expecting him to come meowing for his fish oil on his food while I brush my teeth...it's sooo quite w/o him....[/COLOR]
I know what you mean. The day after I had to have him put down, I was doing o.k. until I went down stairs to get my morning coffee and saw his empty bed...ouch. My dog lived for years with a bad liver, a bad kidney, cushings disease and a tumor...it was kidney failure that finally did him in.

I have decided that the money I would spend on him every month for his medications will now go to charity. I just haven't decided which charity or charities to donate to yet.
DEEDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 01:39 AM  
Hej

House animals are our intimate friends and a real part of our lives. When they die it's an awful loss. Sending hugs and comforting thoughts your way.
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote