Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-11, 05:28 PM  
severin817

I definitely agree that Zumba is still going strong. At 2 of the 3 gyms where I teach classes the Zumba classes are PACKED! I view its popularity as a trend, like pilates, more so than a fad, like sliding (remember those?).

Laura
severin817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 05:36 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Was Tae Bo classes ever held in gyms around the world?

Zumba came out a year after Tae Bo. Zumba definitely outlasted Tae Bo. But I think Tae Bo would have lasted much longer if legal issues didn't rear its ugly head.

But Zumba's popularity in gyms really started about 4 years ago and it's still going strong. In fact, much stronger today than 4 years ago. Zumba is still hot!
I've lived in 3 states in 5 yrs and all the gyms in my local metro areas when I do a class search have 0 to 3 Zumba Classes compared to the once popular schedules they used to have. And no Tae Bo didn't have classes, but kickboxing classes got huge as a result. They are no longer in the popular category themselves.

Zumba = Fad. Doesn't mean you won't find people that love it, but it still is a fad.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 05:49 PM  
Alan

Yeah, pretty much everything in the fitness industry is a fad. The fitness and diet industries are particularly susceptible to fads because everyone is always looking for that magic pill/silver bullet. And much like the latest fashions they are often driven by celebrity endorsements.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 06:30 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by severin817 View Post
I definitely agree that Zumba is still going strong. At 2 of the 3 gyms where I teach classes the Zumba classes are PACKED! I view its popularity as a trend, like pilates, more so than a fad, like sliding (remember those?).

Laura
Zumba is strong in the pacific northwest. In my town, we have 2 gyms. Both gyms have Zumba classes throughout the day and they are always packed. They even have Zumba classes at the Curves studio in our town, our civic center, and Zumba Gold in one of our nursing homes. A search on instructors at Zumba's website for my small town shows a lot of people who have their Zin status. And, if you don't sign up quickly when a new certification class is scheduled in our area, you're out of luck, because they sell out quickly.

So fad, no fad, the hottest thing going right now, Zumba is very popular in my neck of the woods, which is great for my community. My town has the highest obesity rate in WA state, so if Zumba can help get those numbers down, then it's a great thing.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 06:33 PM  
killoffsonny

We still have many step classes at my gym. Zumba has been at my gym for almost two years. We have bosus at our gym but not a class specifically for bosus. I'm beginning to wonder if that is a fad. They do get used sometimes though.
Old 07-16-11, 07:27 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yeah, pretty much everything in the fitness industry is a fad. The fitness and diet industries are particularly susceptible to fads because everyone is always looking for that magic pill/silver bullet. And much like the latest fashions they are often driven by celebrity endorsements.
I agree, fitness and diet is like fashion. Long skirts, skinny jeans, veggies and light weights one year; short skirts, bell bottoms, meat and heavy weights the next.

I didn't see any Tae Bo signs at the beach, either, and I can't recall a workout fad that is as EVERY-freaking-where as Zumba. I take classes at a gym in the next county, but there are also Zumba classes at a Y and also a senior center near me. My first-grader came home one day and said her teacher wanted to borrow my Zumba game after she heard I had it.

Fad, yes, but a well-entrenched one, like karaoke which has been around in the US for 20-30 years and refuses to die.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 08:01 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
We still have many step classes at my gym. Zumba has been at my gym for almost two years. We have bosus at our gym but not a class specifically for bosus. I'm beginning to wonder if that is a fad. They do get used sometimes though.
Bosus- a complete fad. Although fun and effective, but a pain in the butt to store, move around, and make the most out of it's use.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 08:20 PM  
Buffgirl

For a fad is being around too long. Now, I am a good Latin dancer and hate Zumba the instructor annoys the crap out of me. I tried some of first classes but I can't stand it. Now, that being said, a lot of people like it.
Buffgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 08:20 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I hope Zumba lasts a long time, fad or not.
I saw a Zumba infomercial in either Madrid or Seville, Spain, which is so cool!
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 09:29 PM  
Steve4404

This is a great thread. It is so hard to tell what is a fad. Debbie S has a great point that anything that gets people out and moving is a good thing. I thought Bikram yoga would have died out by now because I know people who have been doing bikram yoga for years and get winded walking up stairs(and are still as heavy as the day they started). But it is still going strong.

There are also those in the weightlifting community that swear that the kettlebell craze is a fad. Two of my favorite workout Dvds that I still do were once part of mini-fads that get no attention these days:

1) Cameron Shayne's Budokon Dvds - not the beginner or weight loss ones but the 3 more advanced ones. I think they are great to strengthen the whole body.

2) Bryan Kest Power yoga: 3 45 minute Vinyassa yoga routines. He was so far ahead of his time. These were filmed in 1995!

So even if Zumba fades into the horizon like these workouts, they may still be effective
Steve4404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness trends, zumba