Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-11, 07:42 AM  
Bearybuff

Bob Harper's Contoured Kettlebells

Can anyone comment on these? They're on sale this week.
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 08:12 AM  
jaburke66

They are designed to help reduce "forearm banging" when doing cleans. I keep reading that 1) proper form should reduce banging and 2) your arms do "toughen up". I'm a bit of a purist, so I traded my contour in for an Ader. I think it may depend on what your goals are. I really want to learn traditional kb form, so I'm going to go with a traditional bell.
Old 05-08-11, 08:46 AM  
Bearybuff

Did you like them, though? The handles? The grip?
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 09:09 AM  
violingal3

I have a set (10 - 35 lb) and really enjoy them. The handles feel great, just right for me. The only downside I can think of is when you're in a crusher or ball grip, you can't really cup your hands around it since it's not ball shaped.

When I started with KBs, I really appreciated the contour shape while doing cleans and snatches! Now it's not a big deal, but I went through a bruising period for a bit while getting the hang of things!

FWIW, I did start with regular KBs and gave these a whirl and ended up going with these - I think it's just personal preference. Why not buy one at Target and give it a try? Worst case you hate it and return it.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 09:24 AM  
jaburke66

That's what I did -- got one at Target to try it out. I liked it just fine, smooth handles. Good for learning cleans and snatches due to the forearm banging issue.
Old 05-08-11, 08:17 PM  
caligurl

i had them and returned them cuz they are very expensive compared to what you can get in "real" kettlebells...... i did like them and it was quite a shock when i got the little round pot shapped ones and my poor bruised wrists! not necessarily (spelling) from poor form... but just holding it in rack HURT! i got some wristbands then kettleguards cuz i wanted "real" kettle shaped bells... i got a whole set plus doubles of most sized for $100 cheaper than the contours (and i got them at at 20%, free shipping and no tax.... i paid shipping and tax for my pot shaped bells and they were still that much cheaper! AND i love my mbody bells way more than i loved the contour ones!)
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 07:24 AM  
shelleyann

The only thing I didn't like about them is that you can do push-ups on them because they wobble or any exercise where you put your body weight on them.

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
shelleyann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bob harper, contour kettlebells, gofit, kettlebells