Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-20, 12:16 PM  
ruthular

Cardo ?

Hi all! I'm not a huge fan of cardio. I do move 7 days a week -- Classical Stretch, Barre3, some old school calisthenics to get me moving in the morning, and yoga. My mom had Alzheimer's and there is a lot of research that cardio can be helpful in keeping the brain healthy. How much cardio do you do? How much do you need? Is movement enough? Thanks!
ruthular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 12:26 PM  
bubbles76

I do cardio three days a week, usually 45-60 minutes. If it's high impact or really intense, I keep it at 30-35 minutes. I have no idea how much you "need". I guess it depends on your goals, intensity, impact, etc. There are some people who just walk every day, and that seems to be enough to keep them active and healthy. If I had enough sidewalks, that's probably what I would do -- walk an hour a day. I love walking outdoors!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 02:27 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I used to do pretty even cardio/weight days and over the years I dropped a lot of cardio work. I have noticed over the last maybe year that I huff and puff on hills like I didn't used to, so I'm trying to work up to better capacity again. I'm not sure that's helpful to you -- but, I do feel like I've been in a bit of denial about how much cardio I need, and to my surprise, I have been having fun with some workouts I haven't done in quite a while. Hopefully you can find some fun way to work it in, whether it's outdoor walking (with hills hopefully!) or some new video you never imagined you'd like. Good luck!
Old 02-22-20, 06:24 PM  
Mickey12

I tend to do more cardio than weight work because I just like it better. I have to make myself do weights and cardio just seems so much more fun to me. So I probably do cardio workouts 5 or 6 days a week. Many weeks I don’t do any weight work at all. On a good week, I exercise every day and one of those days I do some great yoga.

As far as health benefits of cardio, I really don’t know, but I believe that any movement is beneficial. Experts say stress is undesirable too, so if you worry about not getting enough cardio then you’re just increasing your stress. Maybe aim to get daily exercise, in what ever form, and try to do a bit more cardio. I know that’s easier said than done! Whenever I try to increase my weight work because I know I should, I just end up back to doing the kind of workouts I enjoy. And for me, that’s cardio.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 07:23 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I like to do cardio every day, but it’s all low impact....primarily walking & low impact aerobic workouts & walking outdoors. I’ll be moving soon & am planning to get back to swimming lengths 2-3 times a week when I get settled in my new location as there’s a pool across the street.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 08:15 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I am no cardio lover but recently I've started again - for my health and also to hopefully drop some weight - using old fun favorites. (All my workouts seem to be strictly vintage these days, come to think of it. )

I aim for 35-45 minutes, mostly low impact, 3-4x a week. If I can I'd like to do 5x. I'm actually enjoying myself, probably because I haven't done much cardio in years so it's a novelty.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 09:48 PM  
ruthular

Thank you! You all make great points. I think I’ll start by just adding some more walking. It’s so hard doing it all and I tend to overthink. Moving for an hour a day and enjoying it has to be good for you!
ruthular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-20, 09:19 AM  
wendug

I'm not a huge cardio lover but I do move daily walking my dogs. So many people in my neighborhood have commented how much I walk and how it is so good for me! Anyway, I also add in cardio workouts 3 days a week. I've never been a fan of high impact (my feet don't like it!), but I do throw a bit in because I think I should.

I've heard that walking can be broken up into segments to reach your goal. No need to walk for an hour straight, just do bits here and there throughout the day. I think just moving is beneficial for our health whether it is a cardio workout or moving in segments throughout the day.
Old 02-23-20, 12:04 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthular View Post
Thank you! You all make great points. I think I’ll start by just adding some more walking. It’s so hard doing it all and I tend to overthink. Moving for an hour a day and enjoying it has to be good for you!
Yes! Give it a go -- I hope you find something you enjoy. I definitely enjoy walking more if I'm either with a friend (though that tends to not be quite as brisk a pace!), listening to a podcast, audiobook, or music. Have fun!

Tags
cardio