Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-15-20, 07:28 PM  
Buzzer

The Firm Vol 5.. DONE!
Cardio Burn... DONE!

The Firm cardio burn, of course. I did this one because I decided to get the 12 minute trainers from Totalfitness since they were cheaper. I was going through the rest of her Firm workouts, and I saw this and Power Cardio, and thought "I don't have those!! I just went through all my workouts yesterday, and don't remember seeing them. I will get them." So I did. The next day, I went to my workout room, and taa daa!! I have them both. I am so bummed, because I would love to have backups of the volumes (I have backups of 1, 2 and 3, not 4,5 and 6) but instead I got workouts I don't know well at all. Oh well. I still have my eyes on 4, 5 and 6 at total fitness, but she has plenty of copies of all of them. I have the volumes on the DVD's I got from the phillipines (or Thailand? I don't remember which it was) years ago, and they still work. I am just afraid that one day they won't and the volumes won't be available anymore. At least the two I just bought in error will add to my points and give me a few dollars off the volumes when I buy them!!

So this cardio was actually really good. I really don't like Tamela Hastie. She is very dramatic, and there are a few times she is doing an exercise and has her shoulders hunched forward. She also is very, very overly expressive with her mouth, and makes the craziest faces. As long as I don't obsess about her, I will enjoy the workout!! I had it listed on my notes as "first 1/2 hi impact cardio, second 1/2 weights" so that's probably why I don't do it much. That doesn't sound appealing at all. However, when I did it, I recognized some of the cardio (I think from other workouts?) and the weights part was OK as long as I don't use weights. It is a cardio workout.

I guess it's ok I got an extra copy. Now I need to try Power Cardio and make myself be happy for that error too!! HA!

So I watched some of the Firmology, and actually I wish I didn't. I always figured the women were coached to be how they are as instructors on the workouts. However, after watching the interviews, I would NOT want to hang out with them!! They came across as very shallow. One made the comment that everyone at the Firm looks so beautiful, and people hate her for how she looks, and even tell her that.

One woman was being interviewed, and holding herself all high, and talking about how they all still fight to be in the front row for the videos. A voice off camera asks where she is positioned for the next workout, and she says "Front and center!" and doubles over laughing. It was all kinda shallow and sad (to me). They just really seemed fake.

The rehearsals were real, so I enjoyed watching those. I wish they would have put people's names up when they were talking or rehearsing. It was fun to see the background cameras, cue cards, and stuff going on. I just really hated the interviews

So I babysat yesterday for the morning and afternoon, went to DH's shop to do taxes, then ran home because DH said he didn't let the dogs out before he left, so they hadn't done any business since 6:30am. It was bout 6pm when I discovered this. So I got LB and we ran home to let the dogs out.

I did volume 5 yesterday morning because I couldn't remember which one vol 5 is (I have only done these workouts a million times over the last 25 years or so, I don't know why I don't know them all better!) and I loved it. I remember reading that Anna had a problem with LaRaine (the lead) because she was drinking margaritas and eating salty food that made her look bloated. There was one camera shot where I did think she looked bloated, but still AMAZING (if I could look like that while I was bloated, sign me up!) but other than that, she looked so good. I really liked the workout.

Ebianco: I'm so glad your new house is so nice!! I love that you described it as "like a fancy resort". That is a dream!!! Good for you! Isn't it nice to have a fresh, new workout room? You can look around and dream of all the workouts you'll do, and calories you'll burn, and cussing you will do, and fun you will have!!! So exciting. Hopefully you are all unpacked and enjoying it! I didn't know you could rent bins! Great idea! I will have to remember that for if we ever move out of this place!! Much better than boxes.

Eventmom; hopefully you have recovered!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-20, 01:47 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all!

Friday: I found a few Ellens online and strung them together. Wow if you want to try out some Ellen's, most of them are available on youtube right now. I started with Grace and Gusto (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmOW...ex=297&t=1407s) and then did some of Yogini (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzEc...ex=295&t=2455s). I did about 30 minutes altogether.

Saturday: My weights are still packed (but I'm unpacking today!) but my light weights are out, so I did GWW the arm section, then 10MS Tummy Toners with Jessica by plugging in my DVD player into my laptop.

Today: So after some searching there are actually two 60 minute workouts on the Pure Barre online that are not the DVD collection. So today I did "60 Minute Intensive" with Karissa. There was a lower body emphasis and she did seem to do a lot of lower body work, especially for the back of the leg. I liked this one better than the last one I tried in a large part because the music was not drowned out by the instructors voice (but I thought both workouts had a great variety of exercises...very much like the DVDs). I guess I am about to pass my 7 day free trial so I will probably be willing to pay $30 to try out a few others. I am not as interested in the shorter workouts, but they have a few 10 and 15 minute workouts with a focus on just seat or legs, etc. so I want to try a few of those too as time permits.

Two rest days!

Eventmom waves!!

Buzzer Tamela Hastie is very over the top, LOL I love her WHFN Fitprime Crunch Time workout but she is also very over the top in that one. Her Firm cardio workout is really tough. I bet it is much more enjoyable without the weights, (especially like you said it is a CARDIO workout) I'll have to try that out! That is really funny about LaReine and the bloating. I never knew that story. I never really loved Volume 5, it is my least favorite, I don't like the three-count moves, and that it isn't really a total body workout (needs more upper body, I think it's supposed to be a lower body workout) but I do like some of the cardio and the leg press section.

I don't think I ever watched Firmology. I must have had the other non-workout Firm, where they talk about the importance of weights+cardio, yada yada. Like an infomercial with all their old-timey images and cardboard cut out of the musculature body. It would have been a let down to me too, to find out some of the women were shallow LOL.
Old 02-16-20, 02:10 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

friday - CS poolside 30 min
yesterday - CS oceanside 30 min
today - caribbean aerobics pilates + ravi & ana immune stimulator

so I can't seem to totally shake this stupid flu. Friday was a long day - lots of meetings so I worked late trying to get some of my own work done.

ebianco - congrats on the new house being so cool and great job working out while moving in!

buzzer - so glad you are liking your firm rotation.

waves!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-20, 07:07 AM  
Buzzer

Fitprime Live... DONE!

I thought this workout was cardio, so I did it for my cardio day. HA! It is a full body. Not as much weights as a regular Firm, but it had weights, and oh my! The step ups!! So many of them!! Not a lot of lunges and dips, but the step ups!!

I didn't grab more than 5 pounds for the workout though and kept it more cardio. My heart rate was good, and I was fine doing the reps with just 5 lbs. I'm not sure I'd reach for this one for a cardio day again, but if I felt like I needed more leg work that day, I would.

I am still doing pushups with my hands on my weight bench. I may try to lower to my tall transfirmer, but so far I am still challenged with the weight bench. I considered dropping to my knees on the floor, but I really like the plank position for pushups, I feel like I'm getting more out of it. Plus I like how cushy the weight bench is compared to the transfirmer .

I loved seeing the ladies joking around, although most of the jokes were off mic. but they were laughing and it was fun. I loved seeing Susan in her yellow leotard. She was doing it kinda tongue in cheek, and said stuff like "isn't this better than dieting?" which I loved! I was afraid it wouldn't be a good workout since it seemed like she was doing it all kinda in jest, but the workout was serious. I don't like the rodeo move that Tracie does in the real workout, so her adding it in and seeming to equally dislike it was good.

Overall, I liked the workout. Not as much as I like the Volumes, but I suppose I'm kinda a volume snob! HA!

I am feeling more pulled in, I feel more muscle when I touch my arms, and I am seeing more muscle in my legs. My waist is sadly the same, but it feels more pulled in. I am liking the feeling though, so even though nothing is different on the outside, I like how I am feeling. I feel like I'm standing taller in better posture easily.

Yesterday I had big plans to do school then we were meeting a friend at Urban Air... DH was just hanging out on the couch and mentioned that it was a holiday. Oh yea! So when LB asked if we could work a puzzle, I said Yes! And we worked a puzzle all morning. We listened to our CC stuff and her violin stuff, but we worked a puzzle. Then we played at Urban Air! It was good for both of us.

Eventmom: I am so sorry you are still sick. I hope you get over it soon! Ugh. I hope this is your only sick this season, and I'm impressed you are working through it. Very impressed!

Ebianco: I hope you are all moved in and loving it still. No problems, and you are getting your workouts in and eating well. I also hope your old house sells quickly!! Get rid of it and enjoy!!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 02-18-20, 11:44 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - cardio barre beginner
today - 30 min essentrics stretch

I'm so so sick of easy workouts.

buzzer - I can never remember that other people have president's day and other stuff as a holiday! I can't seem to get totally over this flu physically, mentally I'm just want it to be over.

hi ebianco!
Old 02-21-20, 04:19 PM  
Buzzer

OK I think I have done since the last time I checked in...
bootcamp 3 in 1 workout 1.. dONE!
ballroom aerobics.. DONE!
Volume 3.. DONE!
today I did Not So tough Aerobics, then the first 2 dances from cardio Overdrive... DONE!

Bootcamp 3 in 1 was a good workout. It was only about 40 minutes, and I thought I would add another workout on to it, but I didn't need to. It was good all on it's own!!
Ballroom aerobics was so fun. I got all the tango close movements right! I remember doing tango closes in my condo, which I owned from 1997-2002, so I have been doing this workout for at least 20 years and have never gotten the tango closes right all the time. I did it!! I feel accomplished!

Volume 3 was so good. I did not pause at all!! I bet I cheated a lot, and used lighter weights, but I didn't pause!! It actually seemed pretty... not easy, but at level for me? I don't know why, because that is a crazy hard workout. I must have cheated a lot, but that's ok. It was good.

Today I did NSTA, which was fairly slow paced but good. I used 5 pounds for the whole thing, even when they said "use heavy weights". I had written on it that it's 53 minutes, but I swear it was maybe 35 minutes. So I added on cardio overdrive... woof. That workout moves so fast I don't know how those ladies get the full range of motion in!! The triple steps were so fast I couldn't even do them. it felt like I would have to slow this workout down 1/2 speed to get it decent. It's like they were moving in fast forwards. People don't move like that. it wasn't a very good workout for me. I felt like it was geared more for people who want to get as many steps in as possible and move as fast as possible, thinking that will give them a better workout.

We have been plugging along... LB had her first violin lesson yesterday and it was good! She's so excited and motivated. I loved it! She loved it!

I have to admit, with all the traveling DH does, I am concerned with this coronavirus. I need to stop reading about it. He's traveling to the east coast over the next few months, and I have been reading way too much about how it's transmitted, how long it can live on surfaces, in food, and in your body before you even know it. I am ready to tell him to wear a mask and glasses, don't touch anyone or anything, and only eat food that is cooked to scalding hot temps and then wait for it to cool.

I know it's not likely we will catch it right now, and hopefully it is contained well enough that it's not a worry. But man, don't read about it! It'll panic you! HA!

I have really been enjoying this Firm rotation. I haven't seen any changes in my waist (where I really want changes!) but my abs have been sore a lot, my legs are worked (of course, it's the Firm!), and I think I am seeing gradual definition in my arms and legs. I do feel more tucked in and stronger, so that is a definite plus!!

I am really trying to remember all of my Ttapp form while I do these. Like kicking to the side with my heel not my toes, feet straight ahead, chest lifted, shoulders back. I think it's helping!

Eventmom: I hope you are feeling better. I forget about all of the holidays too. I always classify it as "trash holidays" (a holiday that delays our trash pickup by a day) or "non trash holiday" (when our trash is picked up on our regular day). Presidents day was a non trash holiday, so I am not surprised I didn't remember!

Waves Ebianco!!!!!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 02-21-20, 04:33 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all!

Checking in with not too much...rest days Monday and Tuesday and unplanned rest days Wednesday and yesterday. To be fair I haven’t taken any unplanned rest days in a while, two months ago per my tracker. I’ve just been exhausted. Last weekend was work, work, work on the house (lots of manual labor) and this weekend, finally, is the last SMALL amount of work and then complete rest on Sunday at least that is the plan. But even though I was just as exhausted today, I wanted to get back to working out, and I was excited to try out more Pure Barre online workouts! I bookmarked about 6 or 7 that I wanted to try out on preview, the two 60 minute ones and other ones that met my criteria-good music to instructor voice balance in audio, not beginner, not much or only a little time spent on knees (table).

Today I did a 45 minute workout in the “Sculpt” series where the instructor uses light weights not just for arms but during all the sections from abs to thighs and seat. It was definitely tough and enjoyable.

Tomorrow arms and abs before a little more manual labor, and a full 60 m Pure Barre on Sunday.

I’ve gotten into the Pure Barre online workouts even though it pains me to pay the $30/mo. I am definitely not doing it forever but wanted to check it out. Hopefully it will be easy to cancel. I can see myself doing a month at a time a couple times a year to mix up with my DVD’s.

I’d like to work up to 3 days a week of barre and combine my arms/abs and Ellen days but I am waiting to see how I feel next week after work I am well rested.

Eventmom I’m sorry you’re stuck with the easy workouts . I miss doing any cardio but I must admit my scaled back workouts are helping me tackle my appetite. I’d still rather go back to more intense workouts though. I really hope you feel better!

Buzzer. I have that Live Fitprime workout and it looks good, now you made me want to try it for sure! I am feeling more pulled in (especially in the leg and seat areas...my arms and abs are slower to see results) from the barre work and maybe all the extra arm and ab work I’ve been doing and really thrilled about that.
Old 02-22-20, 04:32 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Wednesday - flat belly barre + 10 TA cardio
thursday - cardio barre beginner
friday - some cardio that I bought from total fitness dvd to get free shipping - it was 4 dvds and this one needs to go. Tracey Mallett is fine but the workout made no sense. is it cardio? toning? no stretch

today - fitprime lean - it's only 42 min but I like the music, it's not too hard but a waste of time

buzzer - working at a university I figure stuff goes around all the time and try to not worry.

ebianco - it is tough to get the right mix of workout and eating less, one can mess up the other. glad you are getting settled in, it's a process!

waves!
Old 02-23-20, 12:07 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all!

Yesterday: MR Getting Better arms + 10MS Belly Blaster for a 45 minute workout

Today: I strung together some Pure Barre online workouts. 45 minute intensive with Karissa, then 15 minute seat intensive with Brookelin and 10 minute thigh emphasis with Karissa. I actually only did 5 of the 10 minute thighs because I didn't want to push it too hard, I am trying to inch up my effort without raising my appetite, but I was also wanting to "catch up" since I only had three exercise days instead of five this week. So it ended up being about ta 70 minute workout today. I have to say I'm really enjoying these online workouts.

Eventmom Yes it is extremely difficult to balance exercise with appetite. I am doing good now and an internal voice is telling me not to push it. My knee is almost feeling normal and ALL I want to do is some cardio, but I don't want to risk exacerbating my knee so that's partly why I wanted to inch up my barre work.

Fitprime Lean with Keli is good, do you mean to say it's not a waste of time or you don't like it because it is a waste of time? I like the music on this one too.

I love Tracey Mallett but some of her workouts really don't make any sense, I completely agree with you. I tried to get into many of her workouts that are outside of the Booty Barre series (which I love) and they were mostly misses for me.

Buzzer waves!
Old 02-23-20, 03:57 PM  
Buzzer

Upper body Sculpt (Firm)... DONE!

I loved this one. it had some cardio and some legs in it, but mostly it was upper body!!! So, so many pushups. I did not pick a good day to try to do pushups on my transfirmer. Ow. I went back to my weight bench after the second set!! That was a lot of pushups!

I enjoyed it though. I took yesterday off, and debated if I wanted to do a volume, or a strength one. I was reading some old threads on the upper body workouts, and several people talked about how this one was good for getting definition in the upper body. so I did it!!

I do love weight training more than cardio, and I love working my upper body more than my lower. so this one was a win for me. However, the abs were the Tamela Hasie abs, and I don't like her and I don't like the ab series! That part was a loss for me. I did it, but did not enjoy it. The abs are just.... weird. like, windshield wiper your upper body (rug burn!), lots of lower body pull ins, some pilates type moves... I just didn't like it. It doesn't leave me as worked out as other Firm abs do.

Today it's snowing, and I am debating going into town. We are doing a homeschool day activity tomorrow, so I am thinking I may add it on to that trip. Today we did church, and LB really wanted her friend to come over after. I am feeling cranky, the house is a mess and smells horrible because the dogs keep eating the bully sticks (that smell like death while they eat them) and I just don't think I can handle LB today, let alone another kid. She's disappointed, but I am just done for the day. DH is out of town, so I have to figure out how to make it through the day. I am wanting to say mean things, be sarcastic, and get all my grumpiness out at LB. However, I am being nice, just screaming in my head, and using a kind tone. Not at all how I am feeling on the inside!!

I just want to have a nice, quiet day where I can read and sleep. Today is not it though! I guess I'll go see what candy we have and eat some to pretend it makes me feel better!

Eventmom: I worry when I read about it, but when I go through my normal life I forget. My sister works at a University here too, and she said they're already talking about how to schedule the employees to minimize exposure if necessary, and how to handle the campus. I know it's proactive talk, but I figure if they are preparing just in case, I need to at least be alert!

Ebianco: I'm impressed you are getting workouts in. Moving is a lot of work in itself!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14