Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-19, 06:38 AM  
Tugger31

A walk outside wouldn't work as I workout really early and it's still dark outside and I don't feel safe doing that. I do have kettlebells but have never used them much except for goblet squats, which is crazy since I own the RKS dvd set and have never done it! (Going to have to look into that one!) I've never done an all barre rotation so maybe this is the time to do something like that. I have some Suzanne Bowen dvds and I'd need only very light dumbbells. Or I could do Cathe leg/glute workouts unweighted. I also just bought an all body weight set (the name is escaping me now!) Thanks for the comments.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-19, 11:26 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith's YouTube channel is filled with great options (quiet cardio, unweighted strength work, fusion stuff, strength workouts with two sets of dumbbells). I have lots of playlists on YouTube that should cover the bases on this front. Same username as on VF
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 10:15 AM  
bfit

Can you make a space outside on your deck or porch or in your yard? I did that a couple of years ago when our was torn up for renovation. I had a piece of old carpet, tubing, and a plastic bin with two sets of weights in it plus a portable DVD player. I did only low impact because the carpet was on concrete. I live in California where it never rains in the summer so weather was not an issue.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 02:34 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Since you have some Cathes, maybe Travel Fit or the latest band workout on her Lite series. I actually like the Lite band workout a lot. I only use the bands for this one, my tubing is kind of shabby and afraid it might break on me. Doesn't Chalene have a band workout on the Turbo Fire series? Not sure you have that one.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 04:24 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

So the guests will be in the basement, and you can work out upstairs? If there's space in the living room, I'd set all my stuff up there and go for it.

I mean, they'll be there for 6 weeks, they can't expect you to completely change your lifestyle for that long. You can let them know what you'll be doing, maybe offer to buy earplugs. Sort of joking there, sort of serious.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 04:42 PM  
Tugger31

I don't have a deck so that option is out and it'd be 5am and too dark anyways. My house guests (friend and husband) are staying during radiation and chemo treatments b/c they live too far away from the hospital so I don't want to make them feel like I'm totally turning my life around because of their stay so I want to workout as discreetly and quietly as I can in case she isn't feeling well or is tired, etc.

I'm likely going to have take it day by day, but yoga and barre will likely be my go to workouts. I won't have to move too much for barre.
Old 04-11-19, 04:54 PM  
Sissy B

Is there any other time you can workout? Maybe while she's having her treatments?
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 05:40 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I don't have a deck so that option is out and it'd be 5am and too dark anyways. My house guests (friend and husband) are staying duration radiation and chemo treatments b/c they live too far away from the hospital so I don't want to make them feel like I'm totally turning my life around because of their stay so I want to workout as discreetly and quietly as I can in case she isn't feeling well or is tired, etc.

I'm likely going to have take it day by day, but yoga and barre will likely be my go to workouts. I won't have to move too much for barre.
I'd check how much the noise carries. When I lived in an apartment, you could hear everything! In the two houses I've had, the noise didn't carry nearly as much.

And this may sound really odd, but I've been through radiation myself. I was so tired I didn't care what anyone else was doing as long as they let me rest. Noise didn't bother me unless it was from my children standing over me asking for something while I tried to sleep.

Talk to them--it's tough to know how a person going through treatment feels and what they want. My mom had it really rough, people didn't really ask her, and I think it would really have helped.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 07:05 PM  
Tugger31

Thanks for sharing your story. I'll definitely ask them. (We have an open floor plan house so the sound carries everywhere. I'll be at work during her treatments so have to workout before I leave for work)
Old 04-12-19, 08:38 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

There are lots of silent workouts on youtube. Here are some from Christine Salus. I searched using the terms silent bodyweight.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel workouts