Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-13, 01:41 PM  
beth22

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerkin11 View Post
I just did Athletic Training and those first 30 minutes leave me breathless and tired. For me, I am proud to be able to do this entire workout and for me, it's advanced. Maybe low advanced, but still advanced.
I agree 100% with your post. AT is definitely an Advanced workout. Maybe not high/crazy advanced, but low advanced nonetheless.
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 07:40 PM  
Bebop

Levels are so subjective.

What is advanced to one is beginner to another.

I think a workout is advanced if the instructor doesn't spend much time teaching the moves.
They assume that the exerciser is familiar with the exercise. They may give form pointers.

IMHO - if one had to try to categorize a workout, the entire Bodyblast
series would be intermediate. But what I love about that series is that there
are so many pre-mixes.

The Intensity Series is advanced, IMHO.

I think the LIS is intermediate/advanced.

The MMA boxing and kickbox are intermediate/advanced.

XTrain- I think it's advanced. The tabata and Hiit are pretty intense.
Supercuts moves quickly and is all about compound moves.

The weight work is not my favorite but it's designed for heavy lifting.

4D's - advanced - cardio choreography is tricky and the weight work is intense, uses pyramids, the ball,

CTX - advanced - maybe intermediate advanced - the intensity of the cardio workouts is high even though they are short.

In my opinion, I think workouts that use a lot of compound moves can be more intermediate. A beginner should learn each individual move first than put them together.

For me, a good workout is one you can grow with. You don't have to lift heavy right away or finish the entire workout. Work up to it.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 08:45 PM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

KickMax is a wonderful intermediate workout if you skip the high impact drills that come between the kickbox combos and the leg conditioning work.

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 09:01 PM  
Bebop

Lurdes,

I totally agree.
Old 04-30-13, 05:26 AM  
bubbles76

Hmmmm....I think maybe I wasn't specific and I apologize. Maybe I should have said something more along the lines of this:

Without modifying, can intermediate exercisers chime in on what they consider to be Cathe's intermediate workouts, in terms of endurance and/or choreography?

That still sounds subjective, but I think it's a little closer to what I was looking for initially . Sorry for the confusion. I still appreciate all the answers!

ETA: I think BeBop summed things up nicely! I agree, a good workout is one you can grow with. That's why my Cathe's generally stay with me. I'm just trying to find out where to restart
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-13, 05:31 AM  
Bebop

bubbles,

The Bodyblast series probably fits your criteria closely.

The weight work is gym style. She uses a stability ball but you can modify and not use it.

The choreography is basis and the more dancy moves don't have that hard a learning curve.

There are so many pre-mixes that you can tailor the workouts to your level.
Old 04-30-13, 07:57 AM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Without modifying, can intermediate exercisers chime in on what they consider to be Cathe's intermediate workouts, in terms of endurance and/or choreography?

MMA boxing, kickboxing, fusion

Probably Travelfit but I don't have that one.

Body Blast

Basic Step (even though it's instructional, the pace is pretty steady so it doesn't really slow down to instruct and the heartrate stays up.)

Muscle Endurance
Old 04-30-13, 08:42 AM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

Most of Body Blast is intermediate with the exception of Step Blast. That workout has tricky choreography and it take a while to learn. Not to mention she has a challenge at the end that includes some interval work which I find pretty advanced. I just did this workout a couple of days ago so it's still fresh on my mind. I love the premixes that combine two workouts. I wish she did that in her later workouts.
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-13, 07:24 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I also consider step blast fairly advanced choreography and cardio, especially with the challenge at the end.

For reference, I consider Crossfire, Imax3 and Intensity advanced.

I consider MMA Kickbox (w/o the drills), Travel Fit and possibly Cardio&Weights intermediate.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe intermediate, cathe push pull, intermediate workouts, push pull