Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-11, 09:31 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Abbe, thanks for reminding me about Gin Miller!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 09:40 PM  
Daphne M

I've attended several fitness conventions and have taken classes with quite a few instructors. (But nowhere near as many as Joni!)

The ones who made the biggest impression: Cathe, for her energy, professionalism and for always going the extra mile to make a personal connection with every person there; Christi, for bringing every routine to life; and Coach Troy for proving to me that I could do more than I thought possible.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 01:30 AM  
tigger

That's awesome that so many people have been able to take live classes. I love going to the conventions, but would love to take an instructor's class in a smaller setting (in their home gym or something). Although Amy's cycle class seemes like a pretty normal spin class.

I think I'd like to take a live Firm class; I didn't think about that until it was mentioned by someone else.
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 03:35 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlita View Post
Wow, Twyla Tharp! I'm jealous (though I'd be scared to study with her).
And rightly so!

She and her troupe (of oxen as I came to call them) came to do a master class for the dance majors in college and I was invited to join in as I was taking the two hour morning ballet class every day (and others when I could fit it in). They thought I was strong enough (and so did I, lol!)... By the end of the first day I was crawling, crawling! up to my third floor dorm room. By the end of the week, I was begging to be carried and would grab on to any passing leg just to get dragged up a couple of stairs at a time

I can't recall ever having been so humbled in my life -- nor having so much fun in the process

Respect!
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 11:11 AM  
Orlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by in paris View Post
And rightly so!

She and her troupe (of oxen as I came to call them) came to do a master class for the dance majors in college and I was invited to join in as I was taking the two hour morning ballet class every day (and others when I could fit it in). They thought I was strong enough (and so did I, lol!)... By the end of the first day I was crawling, crawling! up to my third floor dorm room. By the end of the week, I was begging to be carried and would grab on to any passing leg just to get dragged up a couple of stairs at a time

I can't recall ever having been so humbled in my life -- nor having so much fun in the process

Respect!
Cool story! I know that feeling. That reminds me, I took (twice) a special class with a Pilobolus dancer, teaching their techniques. That was great fun but challenging, with major DOMS afterward. And I took a dervish master class once with Khadija
Marcia Radin (an interview I did before her arrival is here in PDF). Also unforgettable. Both were tied to the American Dance Festival. Oh, here's the post I did for the Boston Globe about the Pilobolus class.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 11:26 AM  
imhere2dance

All of my exercising is done at home with DVDs. I've never been to a fitness center. However, it would be so much fun to do Pilates with PJ O'Clair and Michelle Dozois. And you know I would LOVE to take one of Leslie Sansone's walk classes. A class with Mary Kay would be almost as good. I know Mary Kay teaches Walk Leader certification classes, but I have no desire to be a Walk Leader. I doubt I'll ever be in PA, but if I am... Forget Hershey Park (well, maybe not, because I adore chocolate. LOL), I'm going to Leslie's studio!
imhere2dance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 12:01 PM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlita View Post
Cool story! I know that feeling. That reminds me, I took (twice) a special class with a Pilobolus dancer, teaching their techniques. That was great fun but challenging, with major DOMS afterward. And I took a dervish master class once with Khadija
Marcia Radin (an interview I did before her arrival is here in PDF). Also unforgettable. Both were tied to the American Dance Festival. Oh, here's the post I did for the Boston Globe about the Pilobolus class.
Pilobolus? Total blast from the past for me! And way cool to contemplate... I remember us trying to emulate the moves, figuring some out and being totally perplexed by others. If only we had had your excellent article and photo essay back then -- all would have been clear

(You got away easy, imo... My DOMS were so comprehensive from Twyla that I learned a lesson the hard way that there were portions of the anatomy best left untouched by Bengay )

And a dervish master class??? Oh my! I so see myself twirling out a window

Were you taught to only spin one way (clockwise or counter?) or both?

That really must have been fun -- what a hoot!

Anyone else?
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 12:34 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

Wincing in sympathy with InParis! Years ago I did a day's workshop with Teresa Tapp and had DOMS in places I didn't know you could get DOMS in...including those non-bengay areas! Whodathunk there was some sort of muscle running crosswise right thru *there*?? AND my armpits ached! I cannot imagine doing that for a week. Whew!

I would love to take a class with Karen Voight or Kurt Johnsen.

Pam
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 01:40 PM  
Ctfitnut
VF Supporter

I have taken classes with Christi Taylor, Beto Perez, Rob Glick and his wife Kimberly Breen, Bryan Kest, Jonathon Urla, Cathe, and probably a few more that I am forgetting.

I would love to take a class with Eoin, Ana Forest and Billy Blanks.
Old 09-05-11, 02:21 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by penl View Post
She teaches at Active Fitness in Medford, NJ.
My hometown! penl, do you actually live in Medford? My mom still lives there; in fact, her apartment is just up the road from Kelly's gym. Cathe is in South Jersey as well--if only I still lived there!

My brushes with famous instructors have all been in yoga: I have been lucky to do workshops with Desiree Rambaugh, Leslie Kaminoff, and Ravi Singh/Ana Brett. In a few weeks, I'm also doing a workshop with Ellen Saltonstall, the Anusara yoga instructor who co-wrote the book Yoga for Osteoporosis.

Taking a class with Kelly would be fun, but I'd mainly like to do more yoga workshops, especially with Tilak Pyle, Jill Miller, Rodney Yee (but without Colleen), Desiree Rambaugh (again!), and other Anusara instructors.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote