Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-11, 07:41 AM  
MuscleWoman
VF Supporter

Quote:
I want to be able to get up out of my chair and off the toilet by myself when I'm 80.
Yes!! I want to retire and keep my house, be able to take care of it and climb the stairs and do all the cleaning and gardening until very old age. To do this I need to stay strong and active and exercise makes me feel healthier physically and happier mentally.

Videos are more fun and give me variety and I enjoy trying new methods and reading what others are doing.
MuscleWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 07:50 AM  
Aquajock

The long answer (in no particular order of importance, equally weighted):

Feeling good
Longevity
Vanity (looks)
Vanity (performance capability)
Being healthy
Enjoyment of workout activities
Look good

The short answer:
To meet my life goal of living long, croaking fast and leaving a good-looking corpse.

A-Jock
Old 07-29-11, 08:19 AM  
Kyra

I do what I do because I enjoy doing it; I love being active, I love running, strength training, outdoor activites, sports... all of it.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 09:29 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I want to be able to get up out of my chair and off the toilet by myself when I'm 80.
That! I also want to keep outrunning my kids and have as few prescriptions as possible.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 09:54 AM  
moviegrl1737

I actually love to exercise, and when I can't do it I get surly, and then depressed. So I do it to regulate my mood and keep me sane.

That being said, I only started due to vanity, the above is gravy.
Insanity Grad
Half Marathon Finisher

"What you do today is important because you are trading a day of your life for it." - Unknown
moviegrl1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 10:17 AM  
laurajhawk

Mostly it's just fun.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 10:23 AM  
Judy W.

A number of years ago, I lost a great deal of weight with a program of daily outdoor walks. Then we moved to the midwest tundra, and I discovered that outdoor walks aren't as enjoyable with a blizzard raging around you! I was truly terrified that if I stopped exercising, I'd regain the weight. I bought some Richard Simmons workouts. I enjoyed them talked about them to a friend, who gave me the Collage catalog. And thus a vidiot was born.

How I found this site I don't recall, but I enjoy it because we have our love of videos in common. I enjoy the reviews, the discussions about various instructors and workouts and other topics. It's a comfort knowing there are others who stumble in the wee hours pushing furniture around and getting equipment in place, then pressing 'play' and entering into a special world. We emerge sometime later, sweaty and usually full of endorphins, ready to face another day in the real world. It's just good knowing there are others "out there" who are making that time (morning or whenever) to experience what I've found to be a real joy.

Why do I do it? I love it. I need it. I look forward to it. It's MY TIME when the only demands on me are the ones I impose.

I may be "nuts", as some in my "real world" claim, but as long as VFers are out there, I'm not alone!
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 10:40 AM  
DejaDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPLYN61 View Post
For me in the beginning, it was vanity, but as I have gotten older and wiser its about feeling good and being healthy.
+ me too!

I started exercising with Gilad on VHS many years ago when we moved to yet another new town (DH was career military, now retired) where I didn't know anybody and didn't have a job. With the kids grown and out of the house, I had plenty of time on my hands. Well, one tape led to another ...

Now it's about having the strength and endurance to do the things I want to do, and having strong bones and a strong heart for long-term good health. The side benefits of a slim physique with some muscle definition don't hurt, either!
Old 07-29-11, 11:04 AM  
SpiritSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I really like the combination of interests here. I like that there are people who go to the gym, run marathons, take circus classes, etc. Some of them do very few videos, but stay because of the focus on health and exercise in general. I like reading stories of accomplishment - and what those accomplishments are can vary widely here.
I wanted to take circus classes, but I couldn't afford the clown suit.

To be honest, I think I started working out mostly for vanity. If the doctor told me I was unhealthy but I looked great, I'm not sure if I would have been motivated enough to get off the couch. Now that I have started, I enjoy the feeling of being in better shape, even though my body isn't quite in the shape I want yet.
Old 07-29-11, 11:21 AM  
enduranceron

I'm not sure exactly why. I got into fitness as a kid playing sports and as a young teenager getting into Bodybuilding and Boxing. After that the Military.

All I know is I feel great being fit and I love the lifestyle. Being fit also allows me to do all adventerous things I desire to do. And best of all, I can play sports and be active with my kids.

I don't know how to be any other way....

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." - Thomas Carlyle

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Mahatma Ghandi
enduranceron is offline   Reply With Quote