Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-11, 05:17 AM  
cardio.junkie

I am currently pregnant and have had TERRIBLE sciatic nerve pain with this pregnancy. (had it with my other's too, but not this severe). There were some nights where I was nearly in tears and limping around. AMAZINGLY after one (yes ONE) adjustment, the pain was reduced significantly. I've now went weekly for three weeks, and the pain is pretty-much gone. I just can't believe it!! It's like 4 pushes on my pelvis and that's that.

However, I will have to say that I was very annoyed when she wanted me to come in three times a week when the first adjustment helped and it was clear to me that one time a week would do the trick. She wasn't thrilled that I refused to come in that often and told me not to expect great results. Well, I am getting great results with just coming in weekly. I hope it lasts!

Best of luck to you!
cardio.junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 05:32 AM  
cfwb

Another option would be to consult a good massage therapist. They are also trained to see if things are out of alignment and can work on the muscles to get you unkinked. This could be an intermediate step before you went to a chiropractor.

Some chiropractors do gentle manipulation - that could be another option to consider.

Ask around your community, too, to find out who the good chiropractors are. I'm lucky to live in an area where there are a number who come highly recommended. I know if I ever need one, I'll be in good hands!
cfwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 05:34 AM  
cdayley

I had a severe whiplash due to a car accident almost 6 years ago, and went to a chiropractor. He didn't try to do any manipulations or adjustments for weeks, instead doing electro-stim therapies and massage until the pain lessened enough that we could try to adjust it. I still go for frequent massage therapy, which I started through my chiropractor's office, and an occasional adjustment. I will have neck and trigger point issues forever due to the accident, and my chiropractor helps me to work through the pain.

Chrys Dayley
cdayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 06:41 AM  
Bearybuff

My chiro has been a godsend. I was extremely doubtful when I went to my first appointment. I'm a believer now. But, get good recs, because not all of them are this good, I hear.
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 08:19 AM  
Juli

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfwb View Post
Another option would be to consult a good massage therapist. They are also trained to see if things are out of alignment and can work on the muscles to get you unkinked. This could be an intermediate step before you went to a chiropractor.
Massage is great too and probably would work for what I need but it isn't covered by my health insurance.

"Que Shiraz Shiraz"
Juli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 08:56 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS View Post
DH doesn't "believe" in Chiropractors - He thinks they are all quacks!
My DH kind of thinks the same thing--not just about chiropractors, but about physical therapists and massage therapist too! Actually, I don't think he believes they are "quacks," exactly, just that they aren't really doing anything, especially if you go on only an occasional (as opposed to a regular basis)--this is an issue for me, because even with health insurance, my co-pays are high enough that it starts costing quite a lot of money (not to imagine eating up quite a lot of time) to go on a regular basis, even biweekly. Which is a shame because I have chronic neck, shoulder, and upper back issues!

I really liked the chiropractor I saw several years ago. I'm not sure of her approach, but she would general apply heat, use a machine that did these little clicking sounds to my back (not sure exactly what that was!), and do manual manipulations as well. The visits felt good, but I didn't notice any miracle changes, either. She also gave me exercises to do at home; I don't think you can expect that all of the treatment will be in the office (I'm a psychologist, so I understand that!).

Although I definitely believe in alternate medicine approaches myself, one issue I have is how do you know which type of practitioner to choose? I'm having some neck/shoulder discomfort again now, and I was thinking about getting a massage (again, DH thinks that there's not point to this--other than simply feeling good while you're doing it--if you can't go regularly), but would it make more sense to return to the chiropractor or even to my PT? Any thoughts?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 10:49 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Although I definitely believe in alternate medicine approaches myself, one issue I have is how do you know which type of practitioner to choose? I'm having some neck/shoulder discomfort again now, and I was thinking about getting a massage (again, DH thinks that there's not point to this--other than simply feeling good while you're doing it--if you can't go regularly), but would it make more sense to return to the chiropractor or even to my PT? Any thoughts?
The best compromise, I think, is to ask around and try to find a chiropractor that uses massage as part of their practice...

I went to one that would start with heat and then you'd get a glorious massage and only then would the chiropractor come in and do his magic. There weren't any additional costs for the massage, it's just how he did things.

I lucked out with him because he was into fitness (used to body-build and now was cycling) and so gave me very sports specific tips as well as general exercises. (There are still things I will not do because he told me never!)

The masseuse was extra special because he was also an acupuncturist. I'd sometimes do a double-booking, often for something unrelated

The person who said a good chiropractor is worth their weight in gold is right on!
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 11:16 AM  
Ctfitnut
VF Supporter

I have had really good luck with my chiropractor from all types of issues from rotator cuff, gluteal medius, sciatica, plantar fascitis and lower back. I usually visit him first since I am usually good to go after 4 visits. He does exercise himself, running, karate, etc.
Old 08-08-11, 09:13 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Question Reviving old thread...have questions!

Hi all--I posted in this thread several months ago. I am considering returning to the chiropractor I saw several years ago, but I wanted to get some advice first from those of you who use chiropractors more regularly in order to make sure I get the most effective treatment.

My problem is that for the past month or so, I have had a nagging soreness focused mainly in the back of my right shoulder blade that will just not go away. Sometimes it's better, and sometimes it's worse, traveling up into the top of my shoulder and neck. I have done all kinds of self-therapy, from yoga to various stretching to self-massage/acu-pressure (using both Jill's Yoga Tune-Up balls & foam rolling). These things often make it feel better for awhile, but nothing lasts. Finally, I'm not exactly sure what caused the issue; I thought maybe that it was computer mouse use, but I'm not using the computer any more often than usual, and it's never been this bad before.

So, here are some questions I have about going in for a chiropractor visit:
  1. Is there anything in particular that I should be sure to tell her?
  2. Along the same lines, is there a certain type of treatment that I should ask for? From what I remember from past treatment (it was awhile ago!), I think she usually started by applying heat to my back for a bit, then using something that made a series of little clicking sounds when she pressed it against my back (to be honest, I never felt anything from that), then doing a few manual manipulations.
  3. Finally, is it possible to get adequate treatment from just 1-2 sessions? My main reluctance in going is that there will be this expectation that I need to come multiple times in order to be treated, which is just more time/money than I can afford. When I went before, I told my doctor up front that I wanted to mainly work on exercises at home, and she was really good about that, but I still felt guilty. I don't want to make it sound like I am expecting a single-session cure or anything like that.

Thanks for any help you all can give me. I'm really uncertain as to whether I should do anything at this point; I keep hoping that the problem will go away on its own. I also never know how to make a decision amongst the various alternative treatment options out there--i.e., should I just get a massage instead? Should I go back to physical therapy? (I did PT a couple of years ago for a similar issue, although it was more the top of my shoulder/neck. Again, I have similar concerns about the time/money issue, plus that would need a doctor's referral.)

Thank you in advance for the feedback!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 11:25 AM  
furmomof6

*nevermind - didn't realize this was an old thread and I don't have the answers to your questions. *

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chiropractic, chiropractor, chiropractors