Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-11, 03:30 PM  
RachelW

I have had wonderful experiences with chiropractors as has my family. I have even taken my kids when they were babies to help with various issues. Nerves that go to every part of your body run along the spinal cord, so it makes sense that adjustments can help many things. You won't know if they can help you in your case unless you go and find out. Good luck! I hope that you feel better soon!
On a side note, it is great that your doctor sees the wisdom in using alternative treatments.
Old 04-12-11, 03:37 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Limited experience with chiropractors - and felt it was a rip off. I went to see one for my back - they set up a regular schedule of visits (each visit taking more $$$ - very expensive) seemed to do very little in my opinion. I was sort of expecting for them to crack my back or to get a massage or something and to feel some relief. I got none of that. In the meantime, I was supposed to ice my back and do some stretches. These 2 things worked wonders!! I now ice my back when there is pain and stretch every single day. I don't need to pay anybody to do that.
I've had similar experiences with three different chiropractors over-treating me. Each time I really only needed an initial adjustment, but then they prescribed follow-up treatments which did nothing but cost money.

The last time I saw a chiropractor she insisted I had "adrenal fatigue" (which I understand is not an officially-recognised medical condition) and needed lymphatic massage because my thighs looked "puffy". Um, the reason my thighs looked "puffy" is because I had a lot of loose skin after losing weight, which she should have figured out from the extensive questionnaire she had me fill in.

These days I go to a physiotherapy clinic which practises a range of disciplines, so if anything needs adjusting, they can do it while I'm there. A few months ago, I went in for a therapeutic massage for shoulder pain and it turned out I had torqued my spine and one of my ribs was poking out at the back. A big scary-looking guy with facial piercings and tatts rearranged my ribs while we chatted about boxing, so I felt right at home!
Old 04-12-11, 03:46 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
A bad chiropractor can be a bad thing but in general, a good chiropractor is worth their weight in gold.
Agreed. It took me years and years to consider going to a chiro and I am a believer in alternative medicine. I found one that is highly recommended where I live, and he's very good and has helped considerably (low back pain).

Definitely try to get a personal recommendation, and try checking Yelp.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 04:01 PM  
Fidget Queen

I've used chiropractors on and off for years. I started the first time over 15 years ago. He didn't spend much time with me, but he helped a lot anyway.

I've been seeing my new chiropractor for 3 or 4 weeks now... maybe longer? Don't know. She is helping my SI joint problem tremendously. It isn't always perfect, but it is steadily improving. I also took her advice regarding sleeping with a pillow between my knees to help the back - GREAT advice, and buying Vibram 5-fingers. I expected that I'd need a very long adjustment period for the Vibrams, but they've been wonderful right away. It truly takes a lot of pressure off my hips and knees. Sorry... that was an aside... But sometimes they have good advice.

Make sure the office is busy and reputable, if you're afraid. You can tell them right away that you are scared and you'd prefer their adjustments be either mild or different from the snap/crackle/pop kind. If they aren't open to easing you into it, run away. They should be open to whatever makes you comfortable. Just open up a conversation about what is actually necessary to help your problem and take it from there.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 05:29 PM  
killoffsonny

Love my chiropractor. I've gone to four and none of them were exactly alike. They have all been okay but the one I have now is the best. He does not try to squeeze money out of me by making me come back and back annnnd back. He leaves that to me. But he is expensive compared to most around here. A visit is 55 dollars. He spends anywhere from twenty to thirty minutes with me.
Old 04-12-11, 06:12 PM  
pbnj

Love the traction machine for my neck. I used to have nerve issues (tingly, stingy, asleep feelings in my arms). It did take around 10 sessions, but it worked. I'm not big on the manipulation, but I am in love with traction.
pbnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 07:36 PM  
videofit

I just saw my chiro today after suffering for two days. I had done Margaret's Sculpture Upper Body, which is pure torture, and didn't really stretch enough afterward. My upper back and neck locked up the next day. I thought I'd be clever and walked for half an hour, then did Dynamic Stretch for 25 min. but while I felt a bit better afterward, the next morning I had a hard time getting out of bed because of the spasms. I've been seeing the same chiro for over twenty years and I didn't even have to tell her what was wrong when I walked in because she knows my body so well. I hope she never retires! I realize not everyone has the same experience, unfortunately.
Old 04-12-11, 07:53 PM  
dmlarue1

Love my chiropractor. One time she was not available and I went to someone else...what a mistake..I was in more pain than before! So definitely find someone who is highly recommended. Also beware anyone who tells you that you will need 15 treatments...you should only have chiropractic if it makes you feel better, if not stop going. My chiropractor tries to get me to come in more but I don't need to, so I don't. But she saves me when my neck is out of place!
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 08:01 PM  
PLS

I had to go to the Chiro last year for the first time, I had one side of my pelvis locked fwd and the other locked bkwd and waited for 6 weeks before I had DH convinced that if I didn't go I was going to DIE from lack of sleep and pain! I work in PT but it is geriatrics so there really was no way I was letting any of my co-workers "try" to fix me. I did all of the self traction methods but just couldn't get things where they needed to be.

DH doesn't "believe" in Chiropractors - He thinks they are all quacks! Well, some are just as there are quacks in all fields. Anyway, I was told at my first visit it would take 4-6 visits to get me back to myself, she said after the first visit it would feel better, but due to muscle memory etc. things would probably not stay put, I saw her 5x and made a point of asking what stretches and exercises she wanted me to do and I did them daily. She was surprised at that because most of the time people come in and just want her to fix them and then they go back to doing exactly what caused the problem in the first place. I still do my stretches and have told DH that the NEXT time I need to see a chiro, there won't be any waiting 6 weeks to see if it gets better on it own.

I think like everyone else said try someone friends or family have used and like and be very open about your fears.
PLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 12:38 AM  
fatkat555

Well, it's my turn to be the oddball. I've never liked going to chiroprators. My parents love them and swear by them. I think going as a child and having a bad experience (some dude trying to force my neck to pop) did it for me.

I agree with everyone that you need good word of mouth to find a good chiropractor and even though I won't go see one I think that they can be helpful.

I prefer rolfing - more painful (like someone running a hot iron down your muslces to stretch them out) than a chiropractor but the feeling after being "rolfed" is phenomenol - like doing yoga at a retreat for every muscle (and I mean every one) in your body.

Again, you have to get a good recommendation with a rolfer, too. Same with doctors...

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chiropractic, chiropractor, chiropractors