Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-06-03, 10:43 AM  
Deanna
VF Supporter

Althea Lawton-Thompson, Woohoo!!!

After having such a blast in her class at the recent CIA conference, my CCT buddy Elisabeth, sweetly offered to let me borrow Altheatized. What fun!! Her great personality shines through beautifully in this video.

She's my new favorite instructor. Now, if only I could move like she does....

To anyone that enjoys funky/dancy hi/lo, this is THE video for you. Fun, fun, fun.

I'm off to email her and sing her praises directly .
Old 02-06-03, 10:48 AM  
KayM

Questions?

Deanna - can I pick your brain about the tape? I have hesitated to get her video and also Cardio Dance Floor II because I don't care for hip-hop type stuff. Y'know, in CDF II there is a "hip hop" routine.

Is there anything like that in Altheatized? Is there any type of workout style you could compare it to so I could get a feel for what it's like?

And since I'm picking your brain, is it OK to do on carpet, and does one need a lot of space for the video?

I might have to add this back to my wishlist since you liked it so much! A good instructor personality can make all the difference.
KayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 10:49 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

I love this one too.

It really is a fun routine with some new (for me) twists.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 10:52 AM  
Elisabeth
VF Supporter

Well I'm not Deanna but I'll butt in anyway! I don't think Althea's tape is anything like the hip-hop workout in Cardio Dance Floor I (haven't done CDF II, but assuming they're similar) because I like Althea and can do it--tho not smoothly like her of course--and I didn't like Julianne's hip hop at all and felt like a major klutz. Althea's moves are very athletic, which I think is one difference. So I'm able to pick up on the athletic part rather than the funky part. She also teaches and builds the moves very smoothly, so you're doing it before you even know it.

A lot of us took her class at the CIA convention and we'd probably all describe ourselves as being a very non-funky bunch and we were able to do it and have a lot of fun.

I workout on a hardwood floor, so I don't know about carpet. You'd have to be careful, definitely. I don't think space is a huge issue because you can make the moves a lot smaller than she does.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 12:07 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Just want to add

that while the routine is good, there is major TIFT, so if this is something that turns you off, you're better off passing.

Donna K
DHKWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 12:59 PM  
giacchina
VF Supporter

You don't have to BE funky!

That's what I really liked about Altheatized - no funky bones required. And the fact that there are real people (with real bodies) as background exercisers. And one person out of the three background exercisers is doing it entirely low impact. You don't have to be good or do it well to have a great time. I have tried some hip-hop tapes (Culture Shop, MTV - have not tried either Cardio Dance), and was unable to even do the warm-up before I gave up in frustration. I intended to watch Althea's class at Philly, but next thing I knew I was up there with fellow VFers just having a ball.

I bought her tape at the conference and gushed on and on AND on about how much I enjoyed her class. I told her I was from VF, and she said she'd LOVE to have some people from VF to her gym sometime for a class (in Baltimore). So, how many people are up for it?

Jackie
giacchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 01:46 PM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

Doing Altheatized on carpet.

I do Altheatized low impact, barefoot, on carpet. I'm not sure how it would work to do that tape on carpet including the high impact moves.
Lenore Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 04:29 PM  
lynnem3
VF Supporter

Cool Definitely up for a live class

I'm really looking forward to her new video/DVD, especially if it has the moves from the Philly conference. I posted a question at the CIA forum asking whether or not there would be a presale for her newest, but last time I checked, no response. Do they do presales for specialty videos?
Old 02-06-03, 04:33 PM  
Chaos7023

Live Class? I'm In!

I'm a bit choreo challenged, but I'll give it a shot. I'm up for a road trip to Baltimore!

Lynn
Chaos7023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-03, 06:00 PM  
Deanna
VF Supporter

news from Althea :o)

As I mentioned in my original post I was going to email Althea yesterday. I just heard back from her and here's a little excerpt from her email I thought everyone would want to hear .

"I just emailed Greg to set a date for taping in May. I am planning on a pre-release sale of the video via my website www.altheatized.com at a discounted price in April. Please spread the word."