Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-03, 01:42 PM  
KimberlyN
VF Supporter

new purchases - DVD/VHS/both?

As a relatively recent DVD owner, I'm wondering how it's going to affect my purchases. I thought I would be buying all DVDs, but I noticed that I bought 5 things last week, but only 2 were DVD:

- CIA preorder: 2 DVDs. This one was easy; same price for DVD, and only the workouts I wanted.

- Cathe Cardio & Weights: I'm really just not interested in Imax 2, so despite the raves about the chaptering and pre-mixes, I got the VHS. I have a DVD writer so I could make my own, and for the same price I could buy another workout that I'd actually do.

- Kari's ALC 2: This one was hard, but I went VHS. From CK Sales, the DVD was $10 CDN more. I haven't read about any extra footage, special features, etc., and I've never been into mixing and matching, so I didn't think I'd be missing anything. I guess this is a sign that I'm not a true DVD convert yet...

- Pilates for Weight Loss: VHS. This one doesn't really count because I wasn't really looking it. I had a Blockbuster gift card I had to use up, and this was the best thing I could find -- there was only one fitness DVD in the store, and it was a Leslie Sansone that I had zero interest in. (I will admit that I wondered if I should get it anyway and attempt to trade it, but decided I was better off with something that I might use).

Do you buy only DVDs now? Only DVDs with special features? What would make you buy a VHS?
Old 02-03-03, 01:47 PM  
DD1

I try to buy mostly dvd's but if I see a great bargain on a VHS I'll grab it. It'll take years for me to build my DVD library to the point where my VHS's are no longer neccesary, so in the meantime I need both.

I haven't had to worry about this yet, but I'm not sure if I'm going to buy DVD's that I already have on VHS (ie Tough Tape and my other fav VHS's). Unfortuanetly there are a lot of tapes for me to replace - so like I said I haven't crossed that bridge yet

Dee
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-03, 01:49 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

My wish is to be able to buy only DVD, since they are so much more versitile. Even if there aren't a lot of features, I like the durability of DVD and the clarity of picture. Unfortunately, there are some workouts that aren't out (at least not yet) on DVD, like Michael Olajide's Aerobox (which is one of the last videos I bought).

I wish the fitness industry would get their act together and move over to DVD. But I guess I'd rather have a good video than a badly planned and executed DVD (like the Firm sculpting series and the 6 newest videos---which I have in video because I didn't know DVDs would be coming out--which have no-to-minimal chaptering and only have one workout per disc---a pretty stupid set-up for workouts that are supposed to be a "system"!).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-03, 01:54 PM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

Re: new purchases - DVD/VHS/both?

Quote:
Originally posted by KimberlyN

Do you buy only DVDs now? Only DVDs with special features? What would make you buy a VHS?
I buy DVD's whenever I can. It doesn't matter whether they have special features or not; I'd rather have a DVD because it takes up less space. I'm also replacing any VHS tapes I can with DVD's.

On the other hand, if a tape I want is only available on VHS, and not likely to be on DVD in the future, I will buy it on VHS.
Lenore Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-03, 03:26 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

I bought my last VHS tapes about a year ago. Some of the workouts on my wish list are only available on VHS, but there are also plenty of DVDs on my wish list! I'm a grad student on a limited budget. If I buy a VHS tape, I have less money to spend on DVDs. If I had more money, maybe I'd still buy a VHS tape from time to time. If I want something that's only available on VHS, I try to trade for it.

I prefer DVD over VHS even if the DVD isn't well-chaptered. I have my stereo connected to the TV, and the sound quality on DVD is great! The improved picture quality is nice too, and DVDs take up less space than VHS tapes. This is becoming an issue as my collection grows!

I've also discovered some good workouts on combo DVDs that I never would have purchased separately. BodyMax, for example! I have a hip injury, and it will be a long, long time before I can even attempt the cardio segments on this DVD. I'm getting a lot of use out of the upper body work, though! This upper body section is well worth 1/3 of the DVD price to me.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-03, 05:53 PM  
peggy h
VF Supporter

Thought I had already made a firm decision but....

When I first acquired my DVD player (May of 2000) I had planned to get DVDs instead of VHS tapes whenever possible. Currently (just checked my database this morning) I have 61 DVDs and just under 140 tapes. However, while I was really gung-ho about limiting VHS purchases earlier on, I find that in the last couple of months, I've relaxed my own restricition somewhat, especially if the DVD is not well-chaptered.

For instance, I was really only interested in Super Body Sculpt from the Firm 6-pack though if the DVDs had been well-chaptered, I would have considered getting four of them (Supers and Blasters). I actually ended up getting two VHS tapes out of the 6 and traded one away. It is true a VHS tape takes up more space....and I noted that the few inches of space taken up by my entire collection of Cathe DVDs would probably translate into a couple of shelves if I had them on tapes. But if I'm only getting one workout in a series, I would weigh other factors (price, chaptering) before deciding.

Earlier today, I sent an email to Mary Griffin of ginmiller.com to ask about the Simply Strong DVD (estimated date and whether it has chapters). It seems the date could be quite soon but she didn't know about the chaptering. She had forwarded my question to their technical people and will get back to me. I have Simply Strong on VHS. I have used it twice and I enjoy it but .... IF Mary gets back to me and says there is no chaptering....I would not go with my old instinct and immediately upgrade to DVD just because it is a DVD.
Old 02-04-03, 02:50 AM  
Smokie

Definitely DVD

So far I have not programmed a single DVD either, but I love having the option available.
I do however skip chapters here or there, and find it easier to stick on a cool-down etc. from a different workout/instructor if it is on DVD. (If I am mixing parts, then I don't have time to rewind the tape until after the workout, at which point the counter rewind is no longer set for that tape.)
Also, DVDs supposedly don't suffer from quality loss over time, unlike VHS.
I am slowly replacing my VHS with DVDs whenever possible. And if the older workouts that I actually still do never make it to DVD I plan on making my own eventually, with my own chapters

Anna
Smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-03, 10:33 AM  
Sherri

I think if you have lots of favorites it will be hard to make the switch, but for me it’s been easy. I just want a few great aerobics, weights, circuit, and yoga workouts on DVD with chaptering. I’m not that picky! I also don’t get very sentimental over my tapes, and I don’t feel that I have to have every great workout. I get tired of tapes, they start too look dated, or my tastes change.

At least for aerobics and gym style weights, there are plenty of DVD options with Cathe, Christi, CIA, Kari, Donna, etc. Power yoga and circuit workouts are a different story. Apparently the only advanced power yoga DVD with chaptering is the Baron Live DVD. That will be my next purchase, but I’ll keep my Bryan VHS until I have a few more options. The Firm with all its awful DVD choices was just about the only option for circuit workouts on DVD for a long time. Thank Goodness we now have Cathe and Keli’s new circuit workouts!

I stopped buying VHS nearly 3 years ago with only a few exceptions. I knew I was going to be a big DVD fan. Of course it helped that I already had about 50 tapes and was looking for an excuse to stop buying more! Now I think I finally have enough options that it won’t be long before I sell off the handful of VHS I have left and complete the switch to DVD.

So: I only buy DVD, the only special feature I require is CHAPTERING, and nothing could make me buy VHS since I already have a well rounded collection of 22 DVDs (44 titles) and I don’t mind waiting for those few perfect DVDs that are worthy of my money
Sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-03, 10:38 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

The way I see it, it's like asking with regard to music, "will I buy cassettes or CD's?" I will buy the newest workouts in DVD only, but if there's an old video that I want and it isn't available in DVD, then I would buy the video. I love the quality and ease of use of the DVDs, plus they are much more durable and take up less space.

I have been replacing many of my videos with DVDs, and I've sold all the videos.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-03, 10:51 AM  
Daphne M

What Abbe said

I'm getting everything new in DVD, because they're more durable, easier to store, have a better picture and they are the wave of the future. It just makes sense to me.

I'm ashamed to admit that taking the jump to DVDs was harder for me than I thought. My first two DVDs were a bit of a disappointment, in fact. I missed my FF and Rewind buttons.

But a year has passed and now I have figured out the "skip" button and many of the menu options. Yes, it did take me the full year to learn. I still don't understand all the stuff at the top of the screen when I hit "display." I'm usually quick to adapt to new technology, but I guess when it comes to my workouts, I never wanted to stop and take the time to learn.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote