Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-23, 08:49 AM  
amoodygirl

I'm jumping in to recommend something that may seem odd but I read about this years ago in a book by Christie Brinkley. Shaving one's face! This is another way of exfoliating the skin and it works.

I have good skin, even at 65, but I also have good genes from my mother's side of the family. We're South American on my maternal side and my mom's skin was flawless when she passed at 84. Nevertheless, I'm still half German so I'm always looking for something that will help my skin along. I've been shaving my face for about 20 years - once a week - and I honestly have no wrinkles or lines. Again, genes play a huge part but I'm helping Mother Nature by doing my part. HTH!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-23, 11:29 AM  
Daffie

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post
I just scoop it out of the jar and then spread it around my face by itself. You could add a touch of water to get it to slide easier, or warm it up in your fingers for a few seconds first. But I like Jackie's idea!

I like this idea, I'm going to try that!
Thank you!
Daffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-23, 11:43 AM  
bubbles76

I don't THINK I have thin skin, but I have noticed that my skin has been looking more crepey lately. And my feet are a disaster. Does anyone have any tips for exfoliating the feet? I've used the thing that looks like a cheese grater and all kinds of other tools. Inevitably, they just look bad again within the week. I am barefoot a lot though, so maybe that doesn't help? Neither does the NJ hard water, even though I have a water softener and well water. Or maybe I just need to be more consistent?

As for the skin, dry skin brushing does help (except for my feet). I may need to get back to that. Has anyone tried the Sasquatch exfoliating soaps? Shows up on youtube for me all the time.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-23, 12:27 PM  
desie

Thank you for the ideas. Did you guys really think I was talking about my face when I said crumpled wax paper? It's my arms and legs, giggle. I bet dry brushing would be the thing that doesn't take but a few minutes and costs nothing. I must remember to do it now! Where I live we actually don't get a lot of sun, just a couple months of bare skin, the rest of the time wool socks are the norm. But I do have age spots on the backs of my hands. So gloves or sun screen might have helped. My face is okay - have always worn a hat.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-23, 12:41 PM  
wendug

Maybe try an exfoliating toner to give your skin a refresh. Here's an article about different toners and their use. Use a toner after washing your face then go about your normal skincare routine with sunscreen, moisturizer, etc.
Old 04-22-23, 01:21 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
Thank you for the ideas. Did you guys really think I was talking about my face when I said crumpled wax paper? It's my arms and legs, giggle.
Sorry, I guess I assumed face since you didn't say face and arms. I went back and reread your post.

I guess then I'd do a nice sugar scrub! Good luck.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-23, 02:35 PM  
Leonana

For the body, I’d recommend a lotion that has urea and alpha hydroxy acids. Urea is a gentle exfoliation and also the best moisturizer for dry skin. Eucerin has one called Advanced Repair Body Lotion. It also has ceramides and shea butter. I also like it because it’s fragrance free (I’m allergic).

Gloves are a good idea. I have a lot of age spots even though I use sunscreen. But I live in Phoenix and am genetically prone to them.

On a side note, the best thing for my face has been tretinoin. Along with sunscreen of course.
Old 04-22-23, 02:57 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

For body, I've recently discovered this Tree Hut shea sugar body scrub which has been nice so far to use 2-3x week. Comes in different scents but this is the first one I've tried:

https://www.target.com/p/tree-hut-mo...z/-/A-51693591

For face, Naturium's 10% Glycolic Acid Resurfacing Gel is a miracle worker for my sensitive, pale, thin, acne-prone skin. It has finally cleared my skin and pores and my skin now feels smooth, no flakes and only rare minor pimples. I don't have many wrinkles yet (age 41). I've tried everything over the year--honey, "natural" products, regular products, face scrubs, traditional "toner", witch hazel, ALL THE THINGS.

The Naturium glycolic acid stuff is pretty cheap (usually on sale 15-20% off through Target and the bottle lasts a long time). A girl at the dermatologist office advised me not to use scrubs or toners on my face and said it's better to use an acid type product for "exfoliation". I stumbled upon Naturium's product on my own after researching online products that had a high enough concentration.

https://www.target.com/p/naturium-gl...z/-/A-80184038

I started using it a few times a week at night followed by moisturizer (Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Moisturizer for extra dry skin) and now I use the Naturium gycolic acid EVERY night. (FWIW, I tried using Naturium's Niacinamide Serum 12% Plus Zinc 2% - 1 fl oz in the mornings but I think it might have caused some pore congestion/break outs so I stopped using it. May try it again since I still have the rest of the bottle.)

Here's the miracle Neutrogena gel moisturizer though:
https://www.target.com/p/unscented-n...z/-/A-16600134

A little goes a long way with this gel moisturizer. The moisturizer also helped clear my skin up and I now use it in the morning and at night. I've tried so many moisturizers since I was a teenager. The best I had found via trial and error prior to this one was this:

https://www.target.com/p/unscented-s...2/-/A-14532442

But again, after trying the Neutrogena hydro boost gel samples from the dermatologist and then buying the full size jars, I'm totally converted to this gel-based moisturizer. I found it at Costco too on sale and stocked up.

I heard it's even more important to use sunscreen during the day when using glycolic acid at night. I use a zinc-based sunscreen made by Neutrogena I think.

If anyone is curious what face wash I've found after trying ALL THE FACE WASHES, the only one that works for me without irritating or drying my skin is Olay's Gentle Foaming Cleanser. Usually $5 or less a bottle on sale. If you wear heavy foundation or eye makeup, you might need to use a makeup wipe or something in addition.

Here's the face wash:
https://www.target.com/p/olay-cleans...z/-/A-13108840
adawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-23, 03:15 PM  
Leonana

adawn, I LOVE Olays Gentle Foaming Cleanser! I’m always afraid they will stop making it. Besides being fragrance free and gentle, it takes off my makeup.

I usually use Paula’s Choice AHA’s, but I’ll have to check out Naturium.
Old 04-22-23, 05:42 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
adawn, I LOVE Olays Gentle Foaming Cleanser! I’m always afraid they will stop making it. Besides being fragrance free and gentle, it takes off my makeup.
I also fear them discontinuing the Olay gentle cleanser!!! My local Target stopped carrying it in store about a year ago even though they still carry the slightly more expensive Olay foaming cleanser formulations. I can get it online from Target if I order enough for free shipping and Woodmans (grocery store chain) still carries it and sometimes has a $1 off digital coupon I can use.

It's the only cleanser I've found where my skin doesn't feel "stripped"/dry afterwards and it never burns around my eyes or any blemishes.
adawn is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty, beauty products, beauty thread, exfoliation, feet, gloves, off topic, off-topic, skin, sunscreen