Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-13, 07:27 PM  
F1mom

You know, I was all set to feel bad for her since she lost her husband but this is truly distressing, almost Leona Helmsley-like.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 07:48 PM  
Harantwanders

Sad but hopefully a new home with a wider perspective will be found for at least for Oxygen.

I personally can't get into Clean Eating anymore, it is a little too one dimensional for me, as if there is only one right way to eat on the planet.

I think it is sad that Robert Kennedy is gone. He did good work back in the day.
Old 06-13-13, 08:02 PM  
chrisqan

Agh! I just bought another year of Clean Eating and received 1 magazine and now they're done.
chrisqan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 08:10 PM  
TinaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
... Oxygen has been going downhill for a long time now, becoming the Tosca Reno show along with fat burner adds made up to look like articles.
+1. This is why I dropped my Oxygen subscription last year. The self-promoting really turned me off.

"Don't be Defeated!" ~~ Cathe
"I know it's hard. But, do it. Please. ~~ Sylwia
"Nothing comes easy. It's always a fight. ~~ Cathe
TinaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 08:57 PM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisqan View Post
Agh! I just bought another year of Clean Eating and received 1 magazine and now they're done.
Ugh, I am subscribed for like 3 or 4 more years.
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 09:57 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Ironically, I received my first issue of Clean Eating today.

Many credit card companies will issue a refund if their card was used to buy something that the company can't deliver. I got a big refund years ago when NutriSystem went bankrupt because they weren't able to fulfill my contract.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 10:05 PM  
Candiceena

Wow...I'm kind of speechless.

Although I am not too surprised. I first started reading and buying Oxygen and the Eat-Clean books back in 2009. I was never a huge fan because they mocked (seriously, MOCKED) some of the people who wrote in to them in the "letters to the editor" section. The mag always kind of put me off for some reason. It was like, if you don't lift heavy, you're not cool enough for us.

I think that that is a poor way to do business....fitness, moving, lifting, running, eating whole foods - there are so many different ways to do it.

Anyway. Wow. I am not surprised though. Like I said, I never got a good vibe from Tosca or the magazine. The EC principles were solid but there was something that always rubbed me the wrong way.
Old 06-13-13, 10:18 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Here's the link to the blog: http://www.toscareno.com/2013/06/13/.../#.UbqKVvmsh8F

Really interesting. I'm not a Tosca Fan, but have enjoyed Clean Eating.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 10:38 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I started reading Oxygen in 1998 when it featured more info on fitness competitions, back when Monica Brant and then Susie Curry, Kelly Ryan (whose road took a different turn, but she was the one to beat for a while) and others dominated that scene. There used to be so much good workout information that just wasn't available in any other magazine. Honestly, reading Oxygen back then is what got me seriously interested serious fitness, training and lifting at a time in my life (19 years old) when most people my age couldn't care less. Eventually though, Oxygen began to get away from the fitness competitor oriented stuff (the few pages it dedicates now is nothing compared to what it used to offer), the well planned, complete and progressive workout plans, and it became the Tosca Reno show. That's when I stopped subscribing. It seemed like every other article managed to push her Clean Eating books (which alone are fine, I just don't like the entire magazine feeling like one big advertisement for them and Tosca). I also feel like her monthly article would always manage to come across as condescending and patronizing.

I think Oxygen had a great formula for a while and I'm sad to see this happen just for reasons of nostalgia, but I can't say I'm surprised.
Old 06-14-13, 07:27 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I wasn't exactly a fan of Tosca before, but waiting almost a whole week to announce the closing (probably to try to sucker in more subscribers before news got around) was pretty low.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean eating, clean eating magazine, martha stewart, oxygen, tosca reno