Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-14, 02:16 PM  
bzbnmom

Need help with recovery week

My lower back is in stress - tight and achey. I just finished the 5-month STS program last Thursday and for my recovery week my goals were to relax my lower back and to do a few total body workouts so that I don't get major DOMS when I start back next week. I'm following Cathe's Bodybuilding Rotation; next week is Cathe's Jan 2014 Rotation: Gym Styles paired with metabolic workouts. At this point I don't care about getting DOMS, I just want to help my lower back. STS Squat Rack was really hard on my back.

I have lots of detail here because I'm hoping for detailed advice.

Last week I decided to start yoga and did UY Gentle Yoga and on Friday following my final STS disc, I did Cathe's Yoga Relax. Saturday I took a day off. Next, this *was* my planned recovery week which I need to change:

Sun: UY Flexibilty (done)
Mon: Party Rockin' Step #1 (done)
Tues: Jessica Smith 10 Pounds Down Better Body Blast + Cathe Yoga Relax Express #1 (done)

Wed: UY Vitality
Thurs: a Turbo Jam
Fri: Cathe Low Impact Circuit
Sat: UY Mountain Poses + Hardcore
Sun: REST

I'm a beginner at yoga. I've done Cathe's and less than half of UY. I thought it would be good for me but maybe I should just stick to Yin, Gentle, and Yoga Relax (or none at all)? Maybe walking (this I don't usually do) or easy biking? I feel sore all over, from UY Flexibility I think? And I'm tired. I feel so tight through my core. I'd like to scrap the rest of my planned recovery week and come up with a new gentle plan. What do you think I should do? I've never felt such a great need for a recovery week before! I don't have any stretching DVDs.

I've been looking at a lot of yoga DVDs this week for stretching and flexibility. I don't know what other direction to take. There have been times in the past month where it has been so painful to flip over in bed at night. This has eased a bit but I still have a ways to go. I just know I've got to keep moving.
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 02:33 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It sounds like your body needs a recovery week, whether you want it or not. Rebel!

This DVD is about as exciting as paint dry. But, it works and it gave me lots of relief in my lower back when it first started bothering me.

Good luck. I hope you find a routine that works for you.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 02:47 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I know that in the more recent New Rules of Lifting books, the authors now don't recommend a squat with heavy weight on your back because it causes back problems for a lot of people (as you're finding out).

I think you need to rest completely and let your back recover. A visit to a doctor, chiropractor or physical therapist might be in order if the pain continues. You may have pinched a disc or something. You don't want this to turn into something chronic.
Old 04-22-14, 03:43 PM  
Tugger31

I agree that your rest week doesn't look too restful. I'd take another full day off in addition to Sunday. The other days, I'd either do light walking, and yoga relax again. I'd skip Turbo Jam and if you do Low Impact Circuit, I'd do only the cardio premix on a 4 inch step. I don't think you have to worry too much about DOMS. A little bit of DOMS is better than back pain in the big scheme of things.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 03:47 PM  
Sandrine

Hi, bzbnmom,
I had an episode w/my lower back last November and discovered the Elaine Petrone Miracle Ball method. It's available on Barnes and Noble's website and in their stores, for under $20. It's 2 balls, a bit bigger than tennis balls, made out of the same material as most weighted balls, and a booklet that provides instruction for how to use them to soothe pain in various body parts. Basically, they help you gently stretch and then relax, in this case, your lower back.

I don't usually recommend anything this strongly, but I make an exception for the miracle balls because they helped me so much. My lower back was in such intense spasm, that I couldn't get comfortable in any position. I would do my gentlest Leslie Sansone w/o (Walk Diet, one mile) to warm up and then use the miracle balls. After one session, I could tell the difference and after 4-5 days, I was feeling almost back to normal. I still use them whenever my back feels fatigued or after certain w/o's that make it stiff (Cathe's Lo-Max is one).

Hope this helps. And congratulations on completing such a rigorous rotation!
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 03:48 PM  
Zenara25

bzbnmom I'm so sorry this is still bothering you

I injured my lower left back 18 years ago working in a nursing home. The only relief I've had is a combination of strength training and stretching. I've recently figured out that I have very tight hip flexors. Not that that is what is causing your pain but maybe worth a try. I stretch them almost everyday. I really like the stretch lying down with one knee pulled in and the other leg hanging down off a table.

It's the hip opener stretch shown here. I hold this much longer though.
http://www.womansday.com/health-fitn...ck-pain-119306

Maybe take the rest of the week off and do gentle stretches. It would really be good for you both mentally and physically. I know it's hard but you won't lose any strength or cardio during this time off. Jessica Smith TV on youtube has some good stretch routines. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...8jpkIY6Fe9TzLZ

And as you know I do CS which also stretches the hip flexors quite often.

Feel better soon!
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 04:00 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I second Zenara's hip flexor stretch in the link she posted! If it's too intense off of a table, you can do it with a yoga block under your sacrum. I would stick with gentle reclined stretches for both the front and back body, and the hips. I do a reclined stretch routine regularly and it has done wonders for my lower body including my back. You can use a yoga strap to make it very gentle and increase the intensity as it feels good.

I hope you get some relief soon!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 04:20 PM  
PrairieGem

You sound like a lot of us--one of those women who doesn't know how to rest. Alas, I've had this lesson painfully drilled into me in the last year or so. Rest days mean just that. TAKE IT EASY! And your body might have a different definition of that than your brain (ie, what you think is resting, and what your body thinks is resting might be very different!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenara25 View Post
I injured my lower left back 18 years ago working in a nursing home. The only relief I've had is a combination of strength training and stretching. I've recently figured out that I have very tight hip flexors. Not that that is what is causing your pain but maybe worth a try. I stretch them almost everyday. I really like the stretch lying down with one knee pulled in and the other leg hanging down off a table.
I'm another person whose back pain is greatly alleviated with strength training (traditional weight routines)--but not when I'm injured. This whole Woman's Day routine looks excellent. But I'm wondering... how do you do this stretch on a table? What kind of table?
Old 04-22-14, 09:33 PM  
bzbnmom

Thank you everyone! You're the best! I will work on stretching, or nothing, or if I get antsy I'll dust off an old Leslie S. DVD. My lower back problems started when I had my first baby 27 years ago and it often aches when I do something strenuous. Right now it's a little worse than usual. Getting feedback makes the obvious clearer -- just rest it.
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 03:53 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'd definitely stretch a lot an avoid all impact exercise! And sleep as much as you can.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back issues, back pain, lower back, miracle balls, recovery, rest days, yoga relax