Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-14, 02:29 PM  
Rhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy T View Post
I don't have fast internet and I can barely stream anything, if at all.
Thanks Peg that is what I am afraid of. i will stick to my DVDs.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 03:18 PM  
Lollie
VF Supporter

This is very much like Studio Sweat on Demand that I have posted about on VF and Cathe. This may be the norm for the future. Won't be subscribing to COD since I already have a subscription with SSOD.

Lollie
Lollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 03:25 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
What I don't understand about streaming in general is paying a subscription every month. If you subscribe to a variety of sites, this can get costly yes?
There would be $20 a month for Cathe and $10 and up per month for other instructors. Most of us use a variety of instructors and I can see a large monthly bill for all the various subscriptions.
It suddenly becomes like a monthly gym membership only possibly more expensive.
I agree it could run you up a tab, but you don't have to maintain all of those subscriptions. Let's say you like streaming and you wanted to do an STS rotation. Well, just subscribe for the duration of the rotation, unless of course it's more cost efficient to just buy the DVDs or downloads. Still, you could cancel your other memberships while trying Cathe's streams.
Old 04-21-14, 03:28 PM  
woodmouth

Once the dvd's stop then I stop. Keeping with the technology I can handle. Fed up having to upgrade every time you change the computer. Dvd stick it in the player press play does the job.
woodmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 03:41 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I agree it could run you up a tab, but you don't have to maintain all of those subscriptions. Let's say you like streaming and you wanted to do an STS rotation. Well, just subscribe for the duration of the rotation, unless of course it's more cost efficient to just buy the DVDs or downloads. Still, you could cancel your other memberships while trying Cathe's streams.
Hmmm, this puts it in a different perspective. Say you want to do a Cathe rotation that is 90 Days by using the streaming service. This will cost you $60 for the access to the workouts for the 3 month period. This may be cheaper than purchasing a 90 day system on DVD, but what if you want to repeat the rotation? That's another $60 to have access to the same content for another 90 days. This doesn't include any other non-Cathe workouts you may want to add in, that you will have to purchase or rent elsewhere (yoga, dance, barre, etc). Of course, you could then just purchase the DVDs, but at this point you've already invested $60 into the system with no DVDs to show for it.

I agree, for $20 you do get access to a ton of content with Cathe's library, and it's a great way to get to try out workouts you may not be sure about buying, but looking at it from the perspective of doing rotations, it may not be quite so cost effective for something you can't keep. If you don't tend to repeat workouts or do rotations, then it sounds decent.
Old 04-21-14, 04:59 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post

What makes a better sense if you can subscribe to a service that offers different instructors... almost like Netflix... maybe Amazon/TFD/Kineflix? Still, I'd rather own my workout DVDs -- either buying or downloading.
A Netflix-type service devoted to workouts - now that's something I'd sign up for in an instant. I'd love to be able to access a huge number of existing workouts for a monthly fee. It would be well worth the money.

I have a core of about 20-25 workouts that I use on a very regular basis, and I would keep those on DVD/VHS. Beyond that, I like to rotate through the rest of my collection as the mood hits, sometimes using my other workouts only once or twice a year. That's where a streaming service would be a nice compliment. It would also allow subscribers the chance to access many new workouts as they are released.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 05:21 PM  
PhyllisG

Example When I did TA's Omni I walked with Leslie instead of doing TA's cardio. So 2 subscriptions. Now I am doing Fe Fit and also subbing 21 Day for some days and have just added on TA's Abcentric. Not to mention I like to throw an UY in there on the weekends. So what is that going to cost me per month? You can be doing any rotation and then for a day feel like reaching for something else and then what?
No I prefer DVDs. I think the subscriptions limit you in some ways but if you are interested in just one or two instructors it could work.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 06:31 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollie View Post
This is very much like Studio Sweat on Demand that I have posted about on VF and Cathe. This may be the norm for the future. Won't be subscribing to COD since I already have a subscription with SSOD.

Lollie
I just went to this site. Their classes are all Spin or TRX . . . right? I just want to be sure I saw everything. There's not any step or hiit , right ?

I'm interested in this. How long are most of the classes ?
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 05:38 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I'm excited about this. Though I haven't fully embraced streaming yet (nor have a fully embraced kindle books yet), I am enthusiastic about downsizing my house and life. So look at it this way....$20 a month streaming is a lot cheaper than continually having to buy a bigger house for all our extra acquired stuff!
Old 04-22-14, 09:37 AM  
Lollie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
I just went to this site. Their classes are all Spin or TRX . . . right? I just want to be sure I saw everything. There's not any step or hiit , right ?

I'm interested in this. How long are most of the classes ?
Sancho,

There are a mixture of workouts but most are spin workouts, there are no step workouts. HIIT is thrown into some of the spin routines. They range from 30 min to an hour. You can pay $20 for the subscription to the library (all workouts). There are also some workouts available for download. What caught my eye was the spin and trx workouts. Don't let 30 mins fool you, they are tough. Check it out. I love SSOD.

Lollie
Lollie is offline   Reply With Quote