Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-14, 06:53 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castella View Post
I'm in the same boat as eam531. I'm following this thread with interest to see if there is anything new on the market that might work for me.
---

I have to say, it was kind of a big relief to go back to regular antiperspirants and not have soggy pits all day.
Same here. I don't sweat that much, but boy do I get stinky. I've gone back to regular deodorant. I'm tempted to try witch hazel, though...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 07:26 AM  
geojill

Alison, I prefer regular deodorants to natural ones, but after a short period of time, my underarms always start itching. Some brands cause it more than others.

I am going on vacation next week to the caribbean and will be using witch hazel in the warm, humid environment. I'll check back in when I get back and let everyone know how it REALLY holds up
Old 04-23-14, 11:19 AM  
bubbles76

Mbramer, thank you so much for the suggestions! I was reading reviews, and am not too keen on trying something that will cause stains on clothes. Petty I know. I do put coconut oil on my bits anyway, and may try dusting with corn starch, if it's not as harsh as baking soda. Or may just try the witch hazel, as I have some in the house. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have also heard good things about using lemons or limes. This was some years ago, so I can't remember which it was.

Jill, definitely keep us informed as to how the witch hazel works, and if you had to reapply. I don't mind the sweat, just can't stand the stink!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 06:12 PM  
videofit

I have a small travel bottle of witch hazel in my desk and after lunch I swab my armpits again. So far so good.
Old 04-23-14, 07:47 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76
I have also heard good things about using lemons or limes. This was some years ago, so I can't remember which
I tried limes last summer and it caused pretty severe irritation. YMMV
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 04:47 PM  
bubbles76

Yikes wishiwashi! Thanks for the heads up.

Well, I have been using regular witch hazel since Friday, and so far, so good. I mean, I still have a mild smell by the end of the day, but I get that with my regular deodorant anyway. It hasn't been very warm here, and I had to reapply on Friday, but so far I am not missing the deodorant, natural or otherwise.

How I apply: right after a shower, I just squirt some witch hazel on a cotton ball and swipe my pits. I let it air dry and then follow up with some lotion. I have gone all day like this. I will probably carry a small roll on bottle with me when I can find an empty roll on container.

I am anxious to see how I do when it gets really hot and if I have that "detox" stink that I hear so many people talk about. I hope that this is a long lasting thing. So far, no drying effects in the pits, no rash, no irritation whatsoever.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 04-29-14, 04:50 PM  
alisoncooks

Thanks for the update, Bubbles!
What sort of lotion are you following up with? Just your regular lotion or some sort of arm pit lotion?

This sounds promising -- if for nothing else but to use on days that I don't have plans to be anywhere...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 04:55 PM  
bubbles76

I use my regular lotion - SheaMoisture Argan Oil and Raw Shea Butter Lotion. I use their body wash too.
Old 04-29-14, 06:20 PM  
Tinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
I have 2 issues with the natural stuff. One, is a lot of times I'll start smelling after a while, and second, I get raw streaky red armpits after so many uses.

I always thought the red pits came from the baking soda, but I read an article on Bubble & Bee's blog that it's usually intertrigo that people get. This is caused by skin to skin friction. To combat "This is best done with a natural powder such as arrowroot or corn starch. Reapplying our Pit Putty sticks frequently throughout the day to keep the underarm dry and friction-free can control intertrigo."

I'm now going to try Bubble & Bee's Pit Primer that has witch hazel in it followed by their Pit Putty deodorant stick that has arrowroot powder and baking soda. I'm going to reapply the deodorant throughout the day and see if this prevents my armpits from getting red. I'll try and remember to update after I've used it for a week or two.
I thought I would update with my results so far. I think the Pit Primer which has witch hazel in it has really helped with fighting odor. I apply this with a cotton ball, and then follow it up with my Pit Putty deodorant. I don't think I've smelled any odor since I started using this. So far my pits are rash free...yay! I apply the pit primer and deodorant in the morning, then later in the day I apply the deodorant again. The very first ingredient in the deodorant is arrowroot powder which is supposed to help with the intertrigo type of rash that I think I usually get.

I'll try & remember to update again when it gets hot to see if I get a rash or start stinking. It looks like starting Sunday it will be in the 90s so I'll try to post in a couple of weeks.

Here's the ingredients for each of the products I'm testing out:

Pit Primer: Organic witch hazel, organic rice enzymes, organic rosemary extract

Lavender Vanilla Pit Putty: Organic arrowroot powder, organic coconut oil, aluminum-free baking soda, organic lavender essential oil, organic vanilla extract
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 07:15 AM  
Jane1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
Jane............let me know how the vodka works. I don't drink the stuff but if it works I could buy some. I am using the vinegar and just a little bit of baking soda right now. Its working so far.
Becky, I tried the vodka last weekend and did not like it AT ALL! I'm sure it did work for odor control, but I could smell the vodka ALL DAY LONG. I had this same problem when I used vinegar as deodorant, and I am extremely sensitive to strong smells and fragrances, so it may have been just me! If you don't have a problem with the smell of vinegar, you would probably be okay with the vodka.

I don't drink vodka either, but it's used as a preservative in my homemade hairspray, so at least I will still use it!
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deodorants, natural deodorants