Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-02-20, 10:53 PM  
momofcha

Finding what works as we age

Has anyone successfully figured out what works for weight loss as we age? I’m in menopause and am struggling to lose about 25 pounds. I keep thinking I should go back to what worked in my 30s (kettlebells) but now that I’m older I know I need more rest days. I’m adding back in the strength I used to love but got away with because it started to wipe me out.

Anyone have any insight or tips? I realize it’s not a one size fits all and diet is huge but looking for some tips to keep me hopeful.

Thanks

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 01:55 AM  
Scorpio6

Bumping
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 04:13 AM  
IceQueen07

I am finding that what has been working for me is more weight workouts, but slow and controlled, not the fast paced workouts that have high reps and less cardio.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 06:48 AM  
donnamp

Hi Sue,

I think it is all individual to some extent - some people find that going with lighter/gentler exercises works better and others keep up with the intensity.

If you do streaming and you don't mind a VERY chatty instructor, Pahla B on You Tube has many workouts for, as she puts it, "women of a certain age". She recently did 31 workouts in January for weight loss for women in meno and perimeno. She does talk a lot - though - but it is mostly exercise/mindset/goal focused.

I'm still trying to figure out what works for me - I am having trouble finding my "happy" place - too intense and I'm in pain, not intense enough and I feel like I'm wasting my time and not getting the mood boost I need from working out.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 06:52 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Sadly, at my age (63) because of various joint issues, I can't work out hard enough to cause any weight loss. It's all about what goes in my mouth.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 06:58 AM  
Negin

I'm in menopause and struggling also. The older that I get, the more I realize that it's mostly diet. So yes, you are correct. When I control my diet, I notice that I get smaller and leaner. Exercise only makes me feel better and look more toned. It no longer helps me with weight loss. Also, the older that I get, the more I need gentler and more low-impact exercise - walking, swimming, Classical Stretch, light weights, all that sort of thing. Because of joint issues, I can no longer do heavy weights or anything high-impact. I just wish that I could be more disciplined when it comes to my eating. I love food and it's the bane of my existence.
Old 02-03-20, 07:47 AM  
deineira

I am struggling through this too. I am adding more weight workouts. I find cardio is just a chore for me right now. I do Lauren's Playground mostly. BUT, like everyone always says, I find dialing in my diet is definitely critical right now. I was doing pretty well before the holidays, and I was starting to lose weight - because I was being pretty strict about eating. I guess we can't say more than that here. I'm trying to get back on track now. I find logging my food is also a huge help with accountability. When I stop logging, it's easier for me to snack and eat stuff I shouldn't really be eating. Try tracking on MFP for a month or two and see if that helps.

I'd also added in IF two days per week, and I think that helped too. It was challenging but not impossible. I do tend to be starving in the mornings, but I was doing a 18 hour fast twice a week and it got easier.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 08:27 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I've been in menopause for a few years now and the first two were a struggle as I adjusted to my new normal. I gained a lot of weight and was heavy for my height, which was a rude awakening because I had been thin all my life. So I knew something had to change.

I realized I had to start eating healthier, but most important (for me) was cutting back on junk food/sweets and snacking. We aren't supposed to talk about diet here so that's all I will say, but a co-worker, who is a man in his 30s, recommended a book on the subject that gave me some good ideas. I haven't eliminated junk completely and don't think I ever will, but just by cutting back I have been able to lose just over 10 lbs. I also exercise, but not the intense hour or more workouts I did when I was younger. At this age, exercise doesn't seem to have much to do with weight loss or appearance, but I do it because I enjoy it and it enables me to keep my strength and cardio up. I do a lot of Jessica Smith because her workouts agree with me and I am able to avoid the crazy hunger I get with other workouts. But, as others have said, it really is an individual thing and you have to do a lot of trial and error to find what works for you.
Old 02-03-20, 08:41 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I've been in menopause for a few years now and the first two were a struggle as I adjusted to my new normal. I gained a lot of weight and was heavy for my height, which was a rude awakening because I had been thin all my life. So I knew something had to change.

I realized I had to start eating healthier, but most important (for me) was cutting back on junk food/sweets and snacking. We aren't supposed to talk about diet here so that's all I will say, but a co-worker, who is a man in his 30s, recommended a book on the subject that gave me some good ideas. I haven't eliminated junk completely and don't think I ever will, but just by cutting back I have been able to lose just over 10 lbs. I also exercise, but not the intense hour or more workouts I did when I was younger. At this age, exercise doesn't seem to have much to do with weight loss or appearance, but I do it because I enjoy it and it enables me to keep my strength and cardio up. I do a lot of Jessica Smith because her workouts agree with me and I am able to avoid the crazy hunger I get with other workouts. But, as others have said, it really is an individual thing and you have to do a lot of trial and error to find what works for you.
What is the name of the book? Thank you!

Old 02-03-20, 08:42 AM  
momofcha

It’s such a fine line! I did a Cathe yesterday and I am so sore today! I do like CS and often do that, but I do miss lifting. I will log what I eat and see if a hog lares out at me.

Sigh...

Tags
aging, gall bladder, menopausal weight gain, menopause, multiple workouts per day, over 50, sleep, sparks, weight loss