Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-04-18, 10:00 AM  
Sollamyn

I'm 59 and started menopause about 3 years ago. Since then, I've been depressed and have absolutely no stamina and I have trouble maintaining my energy--despite sleeping more than 10 hours a day. My stressful work situation combined with my health issues convinced me to retire a little earlier than I had planned, but really I felt that I had no other choice. Also, due to the depression and lack of energy, I've gained 60 pounds, so--all you ladies being disappointed about being 5-20 pounds heavier than you would prefer--well! Count your blessings! I am struggling to make myself eat right (it's tough to do when all I want to do is sit on the couch or take a nap!) in addition to exercising even two or three times a week. It is JUST SO HARD!

I am seeing a doctor, started taking thyroid meds over a month ago, among trying other things. I wish I could say I feel like I am on the mend now. But I'm not. So--yeah, I hate being obese, but I'm also trying to observe how I'm feeling and what I'm learning. I've got to tell you, it's been a real eye opener for me! Being obese has given me a whole new perspective on what plus-sized people go through and I hope this experience makes me a better person.

I believe that, eventually, I will lose at least most of this extra weight I've gained. (It's not exactly a hereditary thing, so I have that to my advantage!) However, I hope I take with me my experiences as an extra-large woman. I refuse to feel ashamed or guilty for what has happened to me. I will continue to believe that I will be a better person because of it.

Sorry for the long post. I have been wanting say all of that for a long time!! I didn't mean to change the topic.

Donna
Old 05-04-18, 10:44 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I'm 60 & although I am not heavy, I have been battling a bit of a "spare tire" since forced menopause when I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago. I doubt I'll ever get rid of it entirely, but clean eating & no late night snacking has helped. Regular exercise, although I enjoy it, continue to do it, & it feels good, had little effect.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-18, 11:40 AM  
Shelbygirl

I gained around 15 pounds over four or five years during peri-menopause. I finally joined Weight Watchers and totally changed my eating habits and lost 30 pounds. I still have a bit of a stomach pooch, but I don't care. I dropped from a size 12 to a 6, so I'll just embrace the pooch. For me to get totally rid of that area, I'd have to lose maybe 10 more pounds, which would be impossible for me to maintain and not be cranky all the time.

Shelbygirl
Shelbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-18, 11:42 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
So--yeah, I hate being obese, but I'm also trying to observe how I'm feeling and what I'm learning. I've got to tell you, it's been a real eye opener for me! Being obese has given me a whole new perspective on what plus-sized people go through and I hope this experience makes me a better person.
I could have written this. I look like a person who eats doughnuts and soda for breakfast, and I hate it.

I'll be 65 this summer and am still looking for the Holy Grail of weight loss post-menopause. Seven years ago, in my late 50s, I managed to lose close to 30 lbs with a combination of diet change, split weight training, walking and rebounding for cardio. Yay! I thought. I’ve triumphed over post-meno weight gain!
Then life happened. For a variety of reasons (work stress, insomnia, fatigue, less physical activity), I've regained those 30 lbs, plus 20 of their pals.

Lately I've been aiming for a better work-life balance and getting enough sleep. I signed up for a popular WL program. And I’m starting to exercise more consistently again. My diet is already very good, so I have a feeling that more consistent weight training and walking/rebounding will get me to a healthy weight. It's very tempting to just give up, but I'm determined to figure this all out. The right combination of things, I think, is different for everyone.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel

Last edited by MsThistlebottom; 05-04-18 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Shortened overlong answer
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-18, 04:37 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

I started peri during my 40s, and what really helped me at that time was T-Tapp. I don't know why, but it did -- it helped a lot! Now that I'm approaching 58, I'm gaining weight and it's stubbornly refusing to leave, despite ramping up my exercise. I'm going to revisit T-Tapp again. Unfortunately, I sold/traded most of my T-Tapp DVDs, but I do still have a few I can get started with.
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-18, 05:19 PM  
bayportsmom

I’ve heard this before, and actually tried Ttapp as well (not consistently). At the time, I just couldn’t see how it could possibly be enough. Can I ask which Ttapp you did, and if you added anything else? I’m assuming you also ate well, and I definitely need to work on that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie S. View Post
I started peri during my 40s, and what really helped me at that time was T-Tapp. I don't know why, but it did -- it helped a lot! Now that I'm approaching 58, I'm gaining weight and it's stubbornly refusing to leave, despite ramping up my exercise. I'm going to revisit T-Tapp again. Unfortunately, I sold/traded most of my T-Tapp DVDs, but I do still have a few I can get started with.
Old 05-04-18, 05:37 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayportsmom View Post
I’ve heard this before, and actually tried Ttapp as well (not consistently). At the time, I just couldn’t see how it could possibly be enough. Can I ask which Ttapp you did, and if you added anything else? I’m assuming you also ate well, and I definitely need to work on that!
I don't remember exactly which ones I did, except I do remember I did the Total Body for a little while at first, and then when I started seeing the changes, I bought several more. I know what you mean about thinking it couldn't be enough. I thought the same thing. But it really did wonders for me, particularly through my midsection. The downside is that it's not the most exciting workout program in the world. I did continue to do other exercise during that time, and maybe just replaced one or two of my regular weekly workouts with T-Tapp.

Regarding eating, I made no change at all. (Still haven't.)
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-18, 06:13 PM  
BunnyHop

I had a hysterectomy almost a year and a half ago, and seem to have noticed a sort of shift in my overall shape.

Even though I've managed to lose about 20 pounds so far in the last six months, and have been walking quite regularly in recent months, I seem to have a heavier midsection than I used to. Sure, smaller than it was before the weight loss, but there's a shift in overall weight to my hips and tummy in a way that didn't used to exist before the hormone-related shifts of peri/menopause. I'm assuming it's something to do with hormones.

On the other hand, I seem to be doing well when I manage to just have regular habits of exercise and eating. I seem to do better when I keep my choices rather simple, in food and fitness.
Old 05-04-18, 06:32 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I'm 62. I'm post menopausal by roughly 10 years. What I have noticed is the "redistribution" of weight. I've always been a pear, and now I am more than an apple, at least as far as the stomach goes. I gained between 15-20 pounds over the course of the 10 years (with a weight loss and gain after a ruptured appendix and recovery).

I left a highly stressful job last summer, and after about 6 months, as my stress level decreased, my weight also decreased. I attribute this to stress eating, which I did in that job. I didn't make terrible food choices, just nibbled too much on the good choices.

I changed my workout routine slightly to incorporate more weight training using (for me) medium weights. I don't starve myself, but also don't eat unless I am actually hungry. What a concept! After about 2 months, I have lost 20 pounds and feel much better and clothes that were not fitting so well are now the appropriate size. I was not looking forward to buying a new wardrobe!

Even with the weight loss, I still have a small stomach pouch. It is not overly protruding, but it's not something I had when I was at this lower weight prior to menopause. At least my pouch has muscle beneath it! If your stomach is protruding a lot, I agree with those who suggested seeing a doctor to rule out any medical issue.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 01:24 AM  
Genevieve M

Hi All,

Thank you so much for these candid answers. My beloved mom, who bore six children and went back to work professionally at 45, wore a long-line bra and a girdle every day, even when she didn't go out. All I could think of was when Scarlett O'Hara got strapped into her corset by Mammy in 'Gone with the Wind'.

When my mom was strapped in, she had a spectacular, hour-glass figure. She was a real Bostonian, and used to say to me, 'You girls will look like the broad side of a bahn (barn) if you don't wear your undergahments'.

I think of that statement often now, when I see the roles of fat protruding from my once lean abdomen. I do wear control garments when I dress for work. Don't want to wear them on my down days.

Why can't they create shapewear that melts the fat and tones the muscles while you wear it?
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, cancer, fibroids, menopausal weight gain, menopause, menopot, old talk, over 50