Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-18, 08:15 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

My FIL is 86 years old. He lives independently in a regular apartment--not assisted living. He cooks, cleans, does his own laundry, walks 2 miles a day, still golfs a bit (he walks the course), and assiduously does his back exercises every day, as he has for decades (the same back exercises that JKF used to do). When my MIL was alive, they were heavily into ballroom dancing and excelled at it.

We have an older friend, Nancy, (also 86) who is the female equivalent of my FIL--she lives independently in her condo, walks, does yoga and folk dancing, helps with the gardening on the grounds of her church, travels, etc.

DH and I are 63 and 62, respectively. We've both exercised our entire adult lives. We go to a local fitness center (it's great--classes, tons of equipment, a 50 meter pool). At the time of day that we go, the vast majority of people there are retired (like we are). Some of them can barely shuffle around, halfheartedly lift a few weights, and so on.

But there are others--a significant minority--who are quite strong and fit. One man, who is 70, is one of the strongest people at that fitness center regardless of age. Invariably these men and women have exercised for decades.

My FIL, our friend Nancy, and the fit older people at the fitness center certainly don't look like they did in their youth. DH and I don't either. Often they, and we, are dealing with cranky joints and the like, which means modifying some exercises or changing one's regimen to account for old injuries. But the decades-long habit of exercise means that they (and we) have a pretty good shot at a decent old age.

These people who are older than I am who have made fitness a priority inspire me on a daily basis to exercise and they show me what is possible. I can't tell you how much I admire them.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-18, 08:25 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Betsy, I truly believe that a huge part of aging is attitude. Of course you can't completely avoid some things, but you can certainly go a long way to mediate the effects. DH and I turn 50 this year (well, I already did ), and we are certainly feeling some impact of getting older. But I am constantly challenging him whenever he suggests something is an "inevitable" part of aging.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, cancer, fibroids, menopausal weight gain, menopause, menopot, old talk, over 50