Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-18, 11:27 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
The other best thing I did was ditching diet drinks...huge difference in how I look and feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I need to do this. I live on artificial sweetener!
Well, if you can't have sugar and you can't have artificial sweeteners (I live on Truvia), what the heck are you supposed to do? I'm not going to live my life without some sweetness.

My only real vice is Diet Dr. Pepper...and I'm keeping it!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 11:31 AM  
zoegirl

Me, too. While I keep an eye on my weight and what I eat and try to work out regularly, I try not to obsess about it. Part of what helped my acceptance of this stage of my life was noticing some of the celebrities around my age who are now a little heavier than before, but still beautiful (one in particular, Nancy Travis on "Last Man Standing"). I'm not going to let an extra 10 pounds or so keep me from enjoying life!
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 11:49 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
Well, if you can't have sugar and you can't have artificial sweeteners (I live on Truvia), what the heck are you supposed to do? I'm not going to live my life without some sweetness.

My only real vice is Diet Dr. Pepper...and I'm keeping it!
I have heard Truvia is a much better choice than other artificial sweeteners.
Old 01-05-18, 11:50 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoegirl View Post
Me, too. While I keep an eye on my weight and what I eat and try to work out regularly, I try not to obsess about it. Part of what helped my acceptance of this stage of my life was noticing some of the celebrities around my age who are now a little heavier than before, but still beautiful (one in particular, Nancy Travis on "Last Man Standing"). I'm not going to let an extra 10 pounds or so keep me from enjoying life!
Totally agree. For me the diet drinks is far more about how I feel, not nearly as much how I look
Old 01-05-18, 11:51 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I have heard Truvia is a much better choice than other artificial sweeteners.
True...I wish the soda companies would start using it.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 11:58 AM  
gjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoegirl View Post
Very wise. Thank you!
Old 01-05-18, 12:12 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I read somewhere and interesting theory about menopausal weight gain. The theory is that some estrogen is stored in your body fat. The body still needs estrogen after menopause, so the body is storing extra fat since the ovaries aren't producing it anymore.

I started a thread about four years ago that still sums up my thoughts on menopause. Of course, I know that everyone's experience is different:

Menopause vs. Just Plain Getting Older
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=204873

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 12:24 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I read somewhere and interesting theory about menopausal weight gain. The theory is that some estrogen is stored in your body fat. The body still needs estrogen after menopause, so the body is storing extra fat since the ovaries aren't producing it anymore.

I started a thread about four years ago that still sums up my thoughts on menopause. Of course, I know that everyone's experience is different:

Menopause vs. Just Plain Getting Older
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=204873

I read that too. And something about the abdominal fat being more efficient at producing the estrogen. Go figure.
Old 01-05-18, 12:30 PM  
Mickey12

I have only gained a pound or two since menopause about two years ago (I am 52) but my midsection has gotten much rounder, puffier, and apple shaped. Many skirts and pants no longer fit. Not very appealing, but I have made my peace with it. I continue to exercise and eat healthy.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 01:17 PM  
noodles

My weight gain was during peri menopause when I had a ferocious appetite that nothing seemed to subdue. Gained 15 pounds. Am now 51 and post menopause lost the weight plus more with normal appetite regular exercise and feel great. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel 😊
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, menopause, menopot, peri-menopause, perimenopause, weight gain