Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-15, 07:21 PM  
bubbles76

Lorajc, I believe Sunday said it took her over a year to lose 80 pounds and to keep it off consistently. I want to say she was doing Leslie and ballet/barre type of workouts? I also believe Diane3271 lost a lot of weight and maintained through Leslie. I believe they are both around your age (maybe late 40's, early 50's?). I hope they will chime in.

I am not your age, so I cannot comment on my personal experience. The first time I had to lose some weight was for my job, and the second time I lost a good amount of weight was a total side affect of something else, so I can't really help there
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 07:21 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Something to bear in mind: 'results' from exercise used to be expected after many months or even a year or two. We are now so overloaded with fitness options that we expect lasting dramatic results within a few weeks, which is impossible for most. I'm looking for something that makes me feel good, revives my energy, lubricates my joints, strengthens my muscles and burns some calories. Tracking measurements is fine but I would give my body at least 3-4 months to respond significantly to a system of exercise. However I would expect health indicators to start improving much sooner.

FWIW I will be 54 in a few months.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 07:22 PM  
lorajc

Results to me is losing inches, toning up, getting definition and losing this huge layer of fat covering my muscles. This would of course mean weight loss also.

The problem is that I have a hard time sticking to a program, but I'm not really seeing results just being the ADD person that I am so I wanted to concentrate on something -- a "rotation" for once, therefore, I picked one that I see women here have had good results getting smaller from since I need to be smaller.

The hard part of this is going to be sticking with it.....that's why I'm asking about how long 'till I see results. I did TA once for a month and jumped ship, as I did not see results yet - although a couple people at work did comment one day that I looked a bit more toned.....so I don't know.

I just need a rough figure to go by so I can make myself stick to this rotation when I'm not seeing results at say a month or 6 weeks.

thanks in advance.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 07:29 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
I just need a rough figure to go by so I can make myself stick to this rotation when I'm not seeing results at say a month or 6 weeks.

thanks in advance.
Well, as I mentioned we tend to lose weight from the inside out, so even if the scale isn't moving yet it doesn't mean you're not improving the way your body functions and metabolizes fat. In other words, preparing and gearing your body for the weight loss to come. So don't give up before the 'good stuff' happens; just give yourself time.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 07:35 PM  
bubbles76

I am younger than you, and it takes my body 3-4 months to see the results I am looking for. My results are usually strength, cardio endurance, and definition. Most of my rotations last that long. Usually, I will see SOME results in a month, but to really see the "light at the end of the tunnel" so to speak, it takes 3-4 months.

Maybe it would be better for you if your rotation consisted of a focus, rather than specific workouts? For instance, if weight loss is your goal, have this be your focus:

MON - HIIT cardio
TUES - Total Body Strength
WED - Step cardio
THU - Total Body Strength
FRI - Metabolic or circuit training
SAT - Yoga or stretching
SUN - Rest

And you just fill in the blanks for workouts that fit that criteria. That way, you'll be getting in something different every day while still sticking to a rotation.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 07:49 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
Thank you!!
+1. That sounds so interesting.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 09:21 PM  
kiwichick

Hi Lora
In my thirties i would start to see results after 8 weeks, now I'm in my forties it definitely takes longer - 12 to 16 weeks, and if my nutrition isn't absolutely spot on then even longer. So frustrating....
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 11:21 PM  
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
Results to me is losing inches, toning up, getting definition and losing this huge layer of fat covering my muscles. This would of course mean weight loss also.

The problem is that I have a hard time sticking to a program, but I'm not really seeing results just being the ADD person that I am so I wanted to concentrate on something -- a "rotation" for once, therefore, I picked one that I see women here have had good results getting smaller from since I need to be smaller.

The hard part of this is going to be sticking with it.....that's why I'm asking about how long 'till I see results. I did TA once for a month and jumped ship, as I did not see results yet - although a couple people at work did comment one day that I looked a bit more toned.....so I don't know.

thanks in advance.
If you said you were already within a few pounds of your goal weight, I could understand why you might expect to see results within a month, but if you actually have a "huge layer of fat," it is going to take a lot longer than a month to get the major visible results you seem to be hoping to see.

I think you may need to adapt a "slow and steady" approach and stop looking for quick results, particularly because you have the added disadvantage of your physical injuries to deal with. I'm glad you seem to have found a workout plan that you think may work for you, and I hope you will be able to stick with it instead of continually looking for the next best thing. (And I say that as someone who is also always looking for something new and better!)
Old 04-30-15, 01:09 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Ok, I know that you didn't want to talk about diet (!) but I just read this interesting study that found the act of dieting--not just calorie restriction, but also the simple act of food-tracking--raised cortisol levels in the dieters studied. Since excess cortisol can cause the body to store fat, esp. in the middle, the researchers concluded that dieting and/or food tracking is inherently stressful and thus, potentially counter-productive to weight loss.

I just thought that was interesting...

I agree with Sue. Just keep doing workouts you enjoy and eat good, nutritious food and the 'results' will come.
I guess that stressing over "results" would have a similar effect, as would stressing over which workout to do when, whether it will "bulk" you or "streamline" your body......
I agree with Sue's and Nuggie's Auntie's advice.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-15, 05:07 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Maybe it would be better for you if your rotation consisted of a focus, rather than specific workouts? For instance, if weight loss is your goal, have this be your focus:

MON - HIIT cardio
TUES - Total Body Strength
WED - Step cardio
THU - Total Body Strength
FRI - Metabolic or circuit training
SAT - Yoga or stretching
SUN - Rest

And you just fill in the blanks for workouts that fit that criteria. That way, you'll be getting in something different every day while still sticking to a rotation.
that's a great suggestion, Bubbles. Not just for the Lora but the rest of us who get bored quickly with any particular method or too few instructors. I followed a similar approach years ago when I was trying to lose some weight I'd gained. In addition to paying attention to my diet, I devised a similar plan using the videos I had in my collection. I was still following a plan, but the variety of instructors gave me enough psychological change that I was able to stick to it.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, consistency, diet