Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-24-20, 03:09 PM  
Vantreesta

I did it! Perfect 30 High Impact HIIT was tough but I didn't hate it. If my fitness level was higher I would think it was really fun (although maybe not for once a week). I was really surprised I could mostly keep up bc I have been feeling like the other workouts so far have been kicking my butt. There were a few times I modified bc my feet aren't used to that much jumping but overall it went well. Yesterday I was feeling down about my weight and how out of shape I am but I tried to spin it to positive today: if I'm that out of shape then I should see some results more quickly! After HIIT I did Mobility Basics plus bonus core. I liked Mobility and it was easy for me. Core work was tougher and I couldn't do the banana hold thing, the first exercise, but I modified and moved on.

I have my last ALS support group in an hour and a half then I'll be putting together some main dishes for the holiday wknd. Leftovers for supper tonight, yay!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-20, 10:52 PM  
Vantreesta

Got my new meter, Daphne. I swore it said it shows spm but I didn't see it. Hopefully I just missed it. At any rate, at least I'll have some numbers now. I will probably restart Rowvember on Monday but I don't know if I'll do it every day as it was intended.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 11-25-20, 09:40 AM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Got my new meter, Daphne. I swore it said it shows spm but I didn't see it. Hopefully I just missed it. At any rate, at least I'll have some numbers now. I will probably restart Rowvember on Monday but I don't know if I'll do it every day as it was intended.
YESSSS!

It'll be good to have company, Vannie! Maybe you just need to play with the display to locate the SPM. My Hydrow tracks a lot of different stats but I have to choose what I can see live and what I'll get to see after the workout. Seems like SPM would have to be one of those stats no matter what.

My average SPM on yesterday's workout was only 20 SPM. Going that slow is harder for me. Lots of focus on technique on that one.

Rowing & Running! -- Yesterday Keira D'Amato set a new world record for 10 miles right here in DC. Her name was ringing bells for me and I couldn't figure out why. Then I remembered that she's a fellow Hydrow athlete!

I don't think I'm going to be breaking any world records after rowing, but maybe just maybe it'll help me become a a stronger runner. It's definitely making me a stronger all-around athlete.

For me, rowing is the closest thing to running that I've found. I get the same feeling of being outdoors when I row along with the instructors in all these beautiful places and I get the same adrenaline rush from intervals and the same feeling of meditation and inner peace from the slower rowing. And the calorie burn is off the charts. I am very thankful for my rower.

Hope you all have a good Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to a nice day with family, a run/walk with Jamie, raking leaves with Brad. Lots of cooking. Lots of cleaning.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-20, 06:52 PM  
Vantreesta

My aunt was tested on Saturday bc she was feeling terrible, she thought bronchitis which she has had before, but she ended up in the ER Monday night feeling very weak and with high fever. A rapid test showed positive for covid. Her O2 was 95 though and her lungs are clear so they didn't admit her. Yesterday morning she said she was feeling better. My uncle took her back to the ER a little bit ago.

Old 11-26-20, 03:30 PM  
Vantreesta

Happy Thanksgiving! So grateful for you all!

Old 11-27-20, 09:55 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving!

DD and I ran our virtual turkey trot. I did ok. I was thinking I could do a little faster, but it wasn’t bad. It was way warmer than I thought, so I was a bit overdressed. You would think that after all these years, I could dress right! Meg set a new 5K PR for herself. #proudmom

I’m now halfway through Body Beast. Some days are harder than others, but I’m still doing ok with it. I have 2 more weeks in the bulk phase, and then it’s an odd mix of the build and the bulk workouts for 4 weeks.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-20, 10:08 PM  
Vantreesta

My aunt's O2 levels aren't staying up like they should be. Today they did a plasma transfusion, CT scan with contrast, more remdesevere (sp?) and switched her to a prone bed so she spends part of the time on her stomach to help with the back of her lungs. I think my cousin is there with her, which is nice for company plus my cousin is a respiratory therapist. My uncle has to stay away since he was positive too.

I went for a wonderful 5 mile walk yesterday but have otherwise been a slug.

Old 11-30-20, 11:35 AM  
Daphne M

Vannie - I'm so sorry your aunt is having to fight this battle. I hope she starts to improve. It sounds like she's got a good advocate in her corner if your cousin is a respiratory therapist.

Alison - Congrats on your Turkey Trot and the PR for your daughter. I'm picturing you running in a giant marshmallow parka since you said you overdressed.

Thanksgiving - hope everyone had a good one! It was just the four of us, which actually turned out to be really nice. But way too much food. There were 9 side dishes -- but somehow not as many leftovers as you'd think.

Workouts - I am doing fewer strength workouts because the rowing feels like a total body workout already. (60% legs + 20% core + 20% upper body) All my row sessions are with Hydrow instructors and include the separate warm-ups and cooldowns.
  • Weds - Run 50 minutes.
  • Thurs - 40 minute steady power row + 20 minute "Gratitude Pilates." Then a full day of cooking and cleaning up.
  • Fri - Run 40 minutes + 25 minute row. One of the rows was in the snow (Boston) and that'll wake you right up. Finished up with a a 10 minute upper body mobility workout.
  • Saturday - 10 minute sunrise climb row (Nick + dolphins in Miami ) + 30 minute Hydrow Thanksgiving burn cardio/strength circuit on the floor. This was high impact cardio + a lot of core and leg work. I did all the jumping moves on my stopped treadmill and that was a brilliant idea. Much kinder surface than my carpet-over-concrete basement floor. Still sore in places from this circuit.
  • Sunday - Run 1 hour -- really slow because I stopped to take pictures so many times + 30 minute climb row in Austin.
  • Today - 50 minute row. One of the rows was a "climb" (increasing SPM) and the next one was a "steady." I liked combining them like this.

Achievements unlocked!
1) After my run on Sunday, my Garmin told me that I hit a new VO2 max. That means my pace increased but my HR didn't. (Or something like that, LOL.) I think the rowing is strengthening my calves and ankles and giving me a better push off the ground when I run.
2) Today was the 23rd day of doing a Hydrow row and I hit 100,000 meters. Very excited -- I earned a badge and a "free" water bottle. Woohoo! It's all about the badges and the swag!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 11-30-20, 12:03 PM  
Daphne M

One more thing. I was with Brad in DC on Saturday. It was his birthday, so we opened gifts in his apartment and then walked over to an open-air holiday market a couple of blocks away. Strict COVID precautions (temperature check, masks, distancing, staggered entry, 1-way foot traffic) and security. Right after we arrived so did Kamala Harris, Doug (her DH) and the mayor. Very cool. So we all shopped together ... kind of.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 11-30-20, 01:38 PM  
Vantreesta

Quick post for now. Daphne, here's my Rowvember day 1 stats. 20 rounds of MAX effort :20 and rest :40. Per meter: 20:04, 1078 strokes, 156.3 cals, 2.7 m distance. I kept forgetting it was supposed to be max effort though so most of the time it was more like regular work and slow row for rest.

I wish I had a clue if that's accurate. My HRM recorded 20:24, I believe, as did MMR and the timer app I used. So i don't know if the meter didn't start right away or if I actually had a 20 second delay btwn starting all the tracking and actually rowing, which seems likely.

And I was right, the meter does NOT show spm, which seems completely stupid to me. I'm very new to rowing and even I know it's a staple number you need! No spm on a rowing meter is as ridiculous as the snow boots I bought a few years ago that aren't waterproof. Ummm... are you kidding me??

And as a side note, I had decided to do these every week day but my hamstring tendons are really bothering me after this one (bc they've been having issues anyway) so I don't know how it will all play out.