Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-24, 08:52 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Donna, yes, I agree! I think it's the fast world we live in now and being bombarded with so many streaming options. Two weeks to see any results feels like a long time, and when you think a month, or months, that seems like forever! I like your idea of a month of DVD workouts. Back in the day, I wanted to follow the workouts just like the instructor, and if I had to sub an exercise I became so discouraged I wouldn't stick with it. These days though, I feel like I'm becoming a little more patient with myself. This is a good time to put the watch aside, ignore the scale, go through my collection of oldies but goodies, and see what happens.

I was going to do the first barre 3 DVD from Sadie this evening, but was starting to feel more DOMS in my legs and inner thighs, so I'm resting and enjoying the evening.

Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 07:35 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning, happy Saturday! Catching up:

Thursday:
~ 5 minutes silent meditation
~ .89 mile lunch walk
~ Home Improvement inners, outers, bis and tris
~ Devi Daly Challenge Day 16 -Yin Elixir
~ 5,948 steps

Friday:
~ 5 minutes silent meditation (sadhana day 1)
~ Yin Yoga With Matt - 30 Minute Yin Yoga for Digestion
~ 2,302 steps

I have some kind of fatigue/mild digestive thing yesterday and kept it low key. I called out from work and just don’t want to ever go back. Couple more years!

Summer Breeze, I looked for Joyce Vedral on FB. She looks great in the 2020 photo! Back in the day I saw her on a talk show - Montel? She came out wearing a power suit and high heels, even in the suit you could see she was in incredible shape.

Donna, that’s a good idea to focus on DVDs for a while. Despite purging I still have a large amount. I enjoyed your post to Beth about simply enjoying workouts. GE - resounding YUK! My oven died right before Thanksgiving a couple years ago, and due to the pandemic shutdown I had to get on a waiting list for a new oven! The first thing available was a GE and I despise the thing.

Beth, the streaming subs add up so fast. Joyce always moved too fast for me, too. I was following the rotations in her book with Rachel McLish a few years ago - Perfect Parts. It was difficult to keep up the full schedule. After reading your post I’m tempted to dig out that book, because I’m feeling that loss of strength myself. Oh I wish I could have seen that leg swinging video.

Margot, I missed your post about the donkeys. They always put me in mind of David Copperfield and Aunt Polly running out to shoo away the donkeys. I'm looking forward to our sadhana - after only two 5 minute meditations I'm more in touch with that sweet spot than with following a voice guide. Please share what you learn at the collagen seminar, it’s been a topic of interest for me.

Pam, your Workouts in Paradise seem so nourishing. You must be enjoying spectacular sunrises and sunsets.

Diane, we had wonderful weather yesterday, too. I’m going to follow your suggestion to write all the pros and cons of retiring out. How’s Cooper today? Good luck finding the right dryer.

Well I better get off this couch and about my Saturday morning. DH is working on the car later and I plan to walk around the neighborhood and get some chores accomplished.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 08:42 AM  
amoodygirl

Good morning!

It’s a beautiful sunny day so a walk is definitely planned this afternoon.

We bought a new dryer yesterday at Best Buy. I replaced my GE Washer with an LG, which I’m happy with, so we bought its dryer mate. It will be delivered on Monday.

Cooper is doing so well and I can’t wait until I can open his mouth and take a look.

I’m finished with the Body Revolution rotation so my next one will be Treadmill Incline and Body Electric, Step and Body Electric, Spin or Elliptical and Body Electric. I want to see what 4 weeks of BE will do. I feel stronger from Body Revolution but I need to take a break from Jillian!

Today’s workout:
  • Intervals with Keli Roberts step and Body Revolution workout 12. I’m finally finished with Body Rev. Good workouts but I’m happy to say bye bye to Jillian! The warm ups were not well designed and I never bothered with her cool downs as I did my own
  • 133 Pushups
  • Yoga for Sciatica – Fightmaster Yoga

Donna: GE products are the absolute worst. I still may have to replace my dishwasher as well as our refrigerator. The dishwasher is leaking and the refrigerator is clanging. A huge PITA!

Margot: JEALOUS! Have a great time in London! Good workouts!

Beth: I’m going to take out some of my Joyce Vedral after my next rotation. Joyce is pretty funny and at times snarky with poor Marthe but she does have some good workouts.

Pam: Hope you’re enjoying your vacation! It sounds marvelous!!!

Pat: Good workouts! I really think our bodies have an ebb and flow so we need to go with it.

I like writing out pros and cons of most big decisions. It helps make our goals clear.

Cooper is doing well – he’s doing everything he normally does so I couldn’t be happier.

We found the right dryer thankfully. I’ve been happy with LG so I hope the dryer is as good as my washer!

Waves to Summer Breeze!!! Wishing everyone a wonderful Saturday!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 01:49 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Yesterday evening I decided to pull out JV Vertical Abs. This was originally a web download, so the quality isn’t very good, but I don’t believe I’ve ever done it. Surprisingly, the quality didn’t bother me. It consists of 3 rounds with a 10 count of a Standing Forward Bend and Standing Side Oblique Crunch, then onto 3 rounds of a Seated Alternate Knee In and Seated Side Oblique Crunch. You have the option to repeat everything two more times for a 30 minutes workout. I found it very effective and a nice alternative to ab work on the floor.

Pat, Home Improvement is a tough one! Oh yes, indeedy, Joyces moves too fast with those tiny weights. I had an a ha moment recently and realized I could slow down my video player just a tad and that may work if I want to follow along for fun and laughs. I can see how people got frustrated with her about the speed and other things because those tapes in the early 90s were incredibly expensive. I have most of the books and have started pulling the workouts into Word documents. I also found some archived files on my old laptop with several rotations. BUG+ is most likely her easiest video to follow as Marthe is counting. I’ll try it next week and let you know. Joyce also said in one her books that she ditched the subway and took up power walking in running shoes around New York City whenever she could and that helped her too with fat loss. Power walking ended up becoming her preference over running. She used to be a runner at one point. I remember her appearing on the Montel show in a yellow bikini. My mother was horrified, good times.

Diane, Body Electric will be really nice rotation! I love those older classics from Margaret! I hope your new dryer will be a winner; we haven’t had much luck with appliances lately.

Beth
Old 03-16-24, 04:43 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today's workouts:

Jenny Ford - Beginner Step 21 Minutes
Ellen B - Epic Barre
Short dog walk

Diane - I have been contemplating Margaret/Body Electric as well - and trying to stick with it for a month or so! I think I'm a "mood" exerciser and tend to pick workouts based on my mood or how I want to feel. Ellen is always a good choice for me - but sometimes I do want some sort of structure as well.

I was thinking that most of MR's DVDs have 4 30 min workouts on them, so I was thinking I could pick one DVD to focus on for the week and either do 2 60 min workouts or 4 30 minute workouts.

I would add in cardio.

I don't like MR's ab work so I would sub Pilates

I sort of want to try doing the 10 Day Essentrics challenge that starts on Monday - it is one workout in the morning and one in the evening, but that wouldn't leave much time for MR and Cardio. Unless I focused on the Unplugged workouts.....or maybe I can just start the MR rotation after the challenge.

Decisions, decisions....

Hope everyone has a nice Saturday evening!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 08:56 AM  
amoodygirl

Good morning!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Today’s workout:
In keeping with my new rotation, Sundays will be abs, either dips, pushups or KB swings and yoga:
  • 15 Minute Ab workout – Fraser Wilson
  • 98 KB Swings
  • Bad Yogi’s Hips & Hamstrings – this one used a foam roller. Ouchie ouch but it’s all good. I have a friend in California who keeps reminding me to do my foam rolling. I know it’s good for the body, hitting the trigger points.

Donna: Good workouts! I love Jenny’s simple step workouts.

I think your MR plan is a good one – I’m doing the same thing. Sticking with one DVD then moving on. I also downloaded her single shows so I have plenty to keep me going for at least a month – if not for 6 months of more! I don’t care for her warmups, cool downs, ab work or non-weight workouts so I do my own.

Waves to everyone! Enjoy the day – it’s beautiful here right now but cold. I'm cleaning the laundry room (a small room thankfully) in preparation for our new dryer tomorrow.

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 09:39 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Yesterday:

55 minute outdoor walk

Probably another walk today. It doesn't look too bad out there though it has cooled down somewhat since last week's spring weather. I think we'll be pretty chilly all week but that's ok. It won't last too much longer.

DIANE, good luck with the new dryer! Glad Cooper is doing well too. Enjoy the new Body Electric rotation. Any particular dvds you plan on pulling out for it?

PAT, I hope you were able to rest up this weekend and feel better. Maybe that Joyce bikini photo was back in 2020. Either way she's in great form.

BETH, Joyce's Vertical Abs workout sounds like something I would like. I don't have her books, I follow along with her dvds when I do her workouts. I do like them though. Any particular favorites of her dvds you can recommend? I have a bunch of them I got on her close-out sale several years back.

Waves to DONNA, PAM & MARGOT.

Have a great day everyone!!

summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 09:43 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ Yesterday:

~ 8 minutes silent meditation
~ 1.61 mile walk to my osprey nest
~ Mat PT
~ 6,725 steps

Sightings of male osprey returning to claim their nests have begun and it was a beautiful day, so I pushed myself to walk farther. It was such good walking weather! No osprey in sight yet at Washington Park.

Diane, congratulations on your new LG. I’m so glad Cooper is well!

Beth, that Joyce standing abs workout sounds tough. I also enjoy standing abs, I feel your whole core gets involved. Very interesting about Joyce taking advantage of walking in NYC during her workday. I loved her accent.

Donna, I do the same with Margaret’s DVDs, just get one out and do a workout when I feel like it until it’s done.

Good morning to Pam and Summer Breeze. ☀️
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 09:44 AM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Top 'o the mornin to ya!

Donna, maybe you should focus on the Essentrics since it's only 10 days, then move to your rotation. Even the Unpluggeds can sneak up on you with DOMS.

Diane, very nice Sunday rotation!

In keeping with exploring my old DVD collection, I'm going to try a week of each DVD before I can decide how to pull a rotation together. I pulled out BUG+ last night and it may be the slowest rep count that Joyce offers on video. Marthe is counting.

Beth
Old 03-17-24, 11:09 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Happy St Patrick’s Day!

Yesterday featured….

~5 rounds of C Sun salutations
~Callanetics: Catch Up workout
~Beach & village walk
~Ocean swim

So far this morning….
~ETV: Maude’s Energy Boost Day 18
~Uliana: Standing Yoga for Focus & Balance
~village walk & beach walk
~ocean swim

I’m kinda boring, lather, rinse, repeat, lol. Although it is a very nice regime and the repition feels good. I am reasonably good with sticking to a a rotation for a few weeks, as long it includes a variety of instructors & some variations in the workouts. I can’t seem to stick with the same workout over & over though.

I am enjoying your posts about using older DVDs & and anm inspired to pull out some DVDs & my portable dvd player when I get home.

Donna - I’ll definitely be doing at least some of the Essentrics challenge that starts tomorrow. We must compare notes.

Pat - I look forward to watching the osprey cams again.

Beth - I’ll be interested to hear about the rotation you come up with your DVDs.

Waves to Diane & summer breeze!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote