Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-14, 05:32 PM  
Janzia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
Me again looking for more advice for Vacation reading. Can anyone recommend some beginner chapter books for my girls. They are 6 1/2.

TIA!
My daughter loved Junie B. Jones and Puppy Place. My son was a big lover of the Magic Tree House books too.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."~John "the Penguin" Bingham
Janzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 06:02 PM  
Bluebelle

Quote:
Me again looking for more advice for Vacation reading. Can anyone recommend some beginner chapter books for my girls. They are 6 1/2.

TIA!
My niece also likes the Magic Tree house books. I've also got her started on the Wolves of the Beyond series by Kathyryn Lasky. I think there's 5 or 6 in the series.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 11:10 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:

TIA!
Are they reading them, or are you reading to them? My dd is 15, but she liked Junie B Jones (who is kind of a brat ), we both liked Magic Tree House books. Those are both you would be reading to them. Magic Tree House is good for the parent because the go to lots of different places and times. And then there are books about dogs, cats, baby animals and such depending on your daughters' interests. I also like Franny K. Stein, mad scientist

Not sure I remember but I think Amelia Badelia are at a much lower reading level.

If you have an ebook reader, my library has tons of ebooks for kids.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 07:04 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I finished Thunder and Rain last night. There were a few too many long speeches in it, but overall, it was a good book.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 09:34 AM  
isebelleg44

Thanks everyone for some great recs!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 11:39 AM  
Sissy B

isebelleg44 - Have they finished 1st grade? My DD read The Magic Tree House books by herself. Now I did read Nancy Drew with her - she would read a chapter out loud and I would read a chapter out loud. She also like the Junie B. Jones series and Beverly Cleary's Ramona books.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 12:42 PM  
Judy W.

Just finished 'The Visitors' by Sally Beauman. I loved it -- well written historical novel set around the events of the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamun in the 1920s. Beautiful, great characters (both real and fictional), thought provoking.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 01:11 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmissa View Post
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5wF4wU6HuUk

^trailer for yellow sun

And lupita nyong'o and optioned the rights to Americanah. I think it's to be produced under Brad Pitt's production company from what I read.
Thanks for mentioning this. I really want to read the book before I see the movie. I hope I can finish it before the library wipes if off my kindle. They only give you 2 weeks and you can't renew it -you have to go back to the website and take it out again.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 01:45 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
isebelleg44 - Have they finished 1st grade? My DD read The Magic Tree House books by herself. Now I did read Nancy Drew with her - she would read a chapter out loud and I would read a chapter out loud. She also like the Junie B. Jones series and Beverly Cleary's Ramona books.
They are entering the first grade.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-14, 10:09 PM  
Sissy B

I finished Independence Slay, the latest Celebration Bay mystery by Shelley Freydont a little while ago. It was a fun, cozy mystery.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reading, summer 2014