Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-11, 09:13 AM  
MelissaR

Hipcentric is deceiving

Last week I received my Tracy Anderson, Metamorphosis, Hipcentric workouts. I previewed the first Transform DVD & thought "that doesn't look too difficult". Boy was I wrong! I had to take a few breaks doing the leg work. And, my heart rate got up too. Today, the day after doing the workout, I am sore in all the right places.

The delivery of this workout is different from other DVD's I've done in the past. Tracy does the exercises, but doesn't describe what she is doing or cue you on what you should be doing. Instead, she does a voice over. I'm used to being told what to do & given pointers on form. I find that I really have to watch the TV screen to see what to do. For those of you who have done Meta workouts, do you find that you're able to have good form with this method? Does it get easier over time?

I previewed the cardio workout & it just looks like a lot of jumping around. Is it a good, effective cardio workout? Does anyone follow the meta program & do only her cardio? I was thinking of doing a Kettlebell workout instead. Will this be a good substitute?

I'm glad I was wrong with my initial impression of these workouts.
MelissaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 10:15 AM  
klaux

That's great you are enjoying your new purchase! Hope you continue to love these workouts. Now I need to stop reading these postsand thinking I need this set - they all have lots of work on all fours, right?
klaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 10:20 AM  
MelissaR

Yes, there is a lot of work on all fours. My wrists got pretty sore & I had to go to my elbows a few times.
Old 05-01-11, 10:36 AM  
ssgilby

Hipcentric IS deceiving, and it only gets more challenging as the levels progress. What has surprised me about it (I'm on Level 7, Day 65) is that the lower body section is really a total core workout. I feel the work everywhere from my ribcage to my knees. With each level, there tends to be a slightly different focus (although it is all still total core). I've noticed concentration on the outer hips/thighs, glutes/hams, abs/groin and with Level 7, the inner thighs. Tracy also seems to add more and more balance work and plank work as the levels progress, which of course really works the core.

Tracy does have her own unique style of instruction, which many find difficult. I've always gelled with it, but I think if you're not now, you will get better over time. I found it very helpful to read Tracy's book, which gives more thorough instruction and helps you understand what Tracy is trying to do with her exercises. Tracy says form is very important as is precision and "performance" of the moves, so understanding them is crucial. Perhaps you could try just watching the video a time or two and really focus on what Tracy is doing and the angles. The camera work in Meta is very good. Tracy is shown from a lot of different angles.

Tracy is quite particular on her cardio. She prefers dance and movements that continue her muscular structure work and are varied. She is very anit-repetition with cardio, which is kind of strange considering her muscular structure work is very high rep. Tracy discourages repetitive forms of cardio like running, spinning, etc. I'm not sure about k-bells, as I've never done them, but there are people at our Meta check in (which you are very welcome to join!) who have added in some k-bell stuff. The Meta cardio is very free form. Personally I prefer Tracy's choreographed dance cardio videos. I use them from time to time, and I also sub in some of my other dance workouts. I also use Leslie vids. I'm sure Tracy would frown on Leslie (talk about repetitive cardio!), but I modify it in what I call "TA style." I add in lots of dance moves, higher impact, some of TA's standing ab work and unweighted arm movements. I think TA would be impressed with my Tracy/Leslie blend.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Old 05-01-11, 11:51 AM  
klaux

I would love to join you guys with this - but I have bony, dislocating knee caps and all fours makes me cry. I can do a little bit - BBL - but oh how I wish I could get this!
klaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 12:12 PM  
Scbayless

I'm doing Meta Omni and did day 45 on friday. So here are the things I would encourage
1) Hand mirror trick. I didn't read about this for a bit, but put a hand mirror down on the ground so you can see the tv but keep good form.
2) double/tripple up your mats. I use one mat vertically, and one horizontally. I double up the back half of one mat under my knees, and then fold up the sides of the other on for my wrists once you are on all fours. HELPS A LOT!
3) Once you get it down use your own music. Makes it way more fun!

This sounds lame but just stick with it. It does get easier (and then harder again when you switch levels). I've seen really impressive results (at least for me).
Old 05-01-11, 01:43 PM  
MelissaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgilby View Post
Tracy does have her own unique style of instruction, which many find difficult. I've always gelled with it, but I think if you're not now, you will get better over time. I found it very helpful to read Tracy's book, which gives more thorough instruction and helps you understand what Tracy is trying to do with her exercises. Tracy says form is very important as is precision and "performance" of the moves, so understanding them is crucial.
Thanks for the suggestions! Where is the book you refer to? I also like the mirror that was suggested. Even though I workout on a carpeted surface, I found that using a mat was necessary. That seems to help some.
Old 05-01-11, 09:11 PM  
ssgilby

Melissa - Click here for Tracy's book on Amazon. You might want to see if you're library has it if you want to "try before you buy." I too use a folded up towel under my knees even though I work out on a carpeted floor. It really helps.

Tags
hipcentric, meta, metamorphosis, tracy anderson, tracy anderson meta