Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-05-19, 09:14 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Ellen Barrett's Pick Your Level Pilates followed by Yoga with Adriene Total Body Yoga.

Anita, hope you got to chair yoga and Gus got his walk. Enjoy your "warm" day in the 20's/30's. Those temperatures seem very cold to me. Maybe when you move for senior living you should consider the sun belt? As far as I can tell, the new place for retiree's to move to is Prescott. It's like the heavens opened up and God decreed retiree's shall move to Prescott. They are building like crazy all around the area. Over 55 housing and senior living places and supportive living centers.

Laura, Sounds like you got a lot done today. DH had his treatment today and was down for the day, so I got groceries and then did some cooking and food prep for the week and stayed close to look after him and just like you, my day melted away.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 07:51 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the WRC and giving Gus a good walk today. Otherwise putzing around and maybe writing some Christmas cards.

Laura, I don't decorate LOTS but I do like doing what I do - just a little bit both inside and outside. Even if I traveled away for the holiday, there's plenty of time to enjoy it a bit . Yeah the plowing here is weird - the suburbs do a better job on the residential streets. I've got about 30 yards to get from my driveway to a plowed cross street - there are some days one prays to be able to reach it! I'm glad we didn't have the 22" snowfall Duluth had!

Paula, I've visited an aunt living in an AZ retirement community - it was individual houses there, so pretty independent, but 55+. I've also had a friend and his wife move to FL for their retirement in a community. I've even looked at Asheville, NC, for a retirement community. Nice places, but I don't feel rooted there. I know I'd make new friends in a retirement community, but I like keeping contact with my current friends. I even thought about moving back to Madison, WI, but decided not to. I kind of want to stay in an area of town where I know where stores and businesses are also - Twin Cities is a big place with lots of opportunities, but I'm looking at certain parts of town. Who knows? As brutal as the weather can be here, I would miss the seasons as they are expressed here.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 09:22 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Paula, we don't get much snow, so the only reason I've ever been snowed in for long stretches was that I couldn't get my Kia out of the garage. But now I have a Subaru, so I expect that sucker to go anywhere. Not that I would be all hot to hit the snow. I don't have much experience driving in it. But when the snow has melted everywhere else, even the back roads, it's still just outside of our garage, and it has prevented me from getting out. It's just nice to know I can go if I need to. And no, I don't enjoy the snow. It's pretty on the grass, but it's always been a hindrance to my getting anywhere. I hope your DH is feeling better today.

Anita, I appreciate your (and everyone's) concern, but I don't plan to go to a doctor at this time. The last time I did that, I ended up with a torn rotator cuff. And yes, I do believe the doctor did it, as implausible as that sounds. They'd probably just tell me to rest it anyway. And I can't afford to go out of network to find a better ortho group. I understand what you mean about not wanting to relocate. I can't imagine moving to where you are any more than you could imagine moving here. I'd hate your winters, and you'd hate our summers.

Laura, I don't know that I need medical intervention yet. It only bothers me when I pull on something. I feel stupid for even attempting to pull those carts apart. It sounds as if you are getting in some good workouts at the Y. I need to step up my game. Maybe after the holidays.

Yesterday was Lean Legs and Abs, Timesaver Premix 1. That's standing legs and ab work. Today I'll do one more mile of Leslie's Walk 15, and that will complete the 5-mile workout. I got to see her son in one of the sections. Everyone on GD had mentioned that he was in these. I've previewed all the other DVDs and thought I had him picked out. I was wrong. I picked a young goofy guy. Her son seemed more sedate. Go figure. I don't know what else I might do, but I need to do something more than that.

Everyone have a good day!
Old 12-06-19, 04:26 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I had two appointments today. The first was a regular check in with my rheumatologist. The second was for the shingles vaccine, which I did NOT get because they didn't order the new one. How many times did I say that's the one I needed, but the person ordering it didn't get that word. They said that they have now ordered it and I have an appointment next Friday. We'll see. Around those, I ran several errands that just hadn't gotten done recently.

Dede - It sounds like know what you need to do for your shoulder. Good luck remembering not to overdo it (the hardest part of resting something!). The nice thing about the Y is that they have easy access to trainers and the one I have been working with has been great at helping me figure how to step things up.

Anita - The hardest part about retirement is figuring out what you want, and it sounds like you have done that. If staying there is the best thing for you, go for it! That was a good video on your FB page.

Paula - Hopefully, it was a good day at home yesterday and you got out and about today.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 09:23 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Jessica Smith Fall Into Fitness Day 1 - Strength followed by Yoga with Adriene Yoga for Tired Legs.

Got my Christmas cards sent out - I don't do near as many as I did years ago. Now many of my friends and familty get e-cards. So much easier but somehow not as special.

Anita, I understand about wanting to stay where you have friends and know your way around. I remember when you were considering Asheville. Well, keep warm and I hope you don't have too much to shovel.

Dede, It's so hard to find the sweet spot between resting an injury too much and not resting it enough. The penalty of getting it wrong is always re-injury. Hope you feel better soon. I've been having hip pain and for some reason I'm reluctant to see a doctor I'm never sure if going to a doctor makes things better or worse. We love our Subaru, we don't have snow but it has good traction in the rain and it's been raining a lot this winter. Had rain again today.

Laura, It's so frustrating talking with doctors and other professionals when you get the impression they never listen to what you're saying. B has the same complaint with these guys working on the boat. They never bring the stuff to do the job he hired them to do - they just show up and then ask what needs to be done - why is that?
Old 12-07-19, 08:31 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the circus, walking Gus and going out to dinner with friends.

Dede, do you have any insurance coverage changes you could implement for next year? Renewals are up around this time. I love my Subaru also!

Laura, weird, I thought they pretty much stopped giving the old shingles vaccine with the more effective new one out. I have to scrounge around for two more FB entries to make it to 10.

Paula, that is frustrating when the repair guys don't know what the project is! Argh! I still haven't gotten any Christmas cards sent out - congrats, Paula!

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 09:16 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. This morning I did a long walk with DH then a yoga stretch for hip and back with a yoga site, I don't remember the name.

Anita, sounds like you had a nice day planned. I attended a Christmas Tea today with friends. It's a fund raiser for a local museum. They do several teas throughout the year but my friends and I only go to the Christmas one. They had carolers and servers dressed in vintage clothing. The museum is an old Victorian home that has been restored so it's like a Downtown Abbey setting. Many people really dress up for this in vintage clothing and large hats. In fact one of the teas they do is a Downtown Abbey tea. Hope you and Gus had a good day.