Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-19, 09:36 AM  
sciencelady

Crone Cronies - It is December, and nobody asked if I was ready. Week of 12/1.

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 09:53 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Quote is by Sarah Kay. I did try several lines from previous lists in posts, but some were too long still. I'm kind of surprised that this forum is now cut to 1 month withholding (last post is 11/1/19).

I'll have another round of shoveling to do this morning - storm should be over late this morning. It's only a few inches here, but its heavy snow again... Today I'll decorate my Christmas tree - it's been sitting naked the last few days. I couldn't do it before Thanksgiving - tradition! Otherwise, laundry, Gus walk, and just putzing around.

Laura, frankly glad it was a prankster rather than a true emergency in front of your house!

Mary, your condo is warmer than what I heat my house to . I love my fireplace in my living room, but wouldn't want one in my bedroom. I'm wondering if I'll get a fireplace in my next home or skip it and just go to a common room where there's fireplaces when I'm in the mood. Kind of depends how much wall space there is in the unit...

Paula, I'm hoping to find some left over Christmas cards from last year and get those sent out - I don't send many nowadays. Ooooh! Your leg branding from the heater was nasty!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 12-01-19, 11:06 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Thanks for getting us started, Anita. The theme is totally appropriate to today and this week. I can't believe it's December 1. We're planning on going to Huntington for Christmas and leaving the week before Christmas. It's going to be here quick.

I'm hoping to get some planning done today and get back to creating content for my website. I've written three blog posts recently and Mom edited one. I'm hoping to send her the other two today. Dad doesn't get Excel at all, but she was a software trainer, so she's a good resource.

Everyone have a good day.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 11:19 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Paula - Ouch! I bet you did learn that lesson. Fortunately for us, Thanksgiving was the first day the sun was out in days. It was a beautiful day. Then, it clouded up and has rained ever since.

Mary - There were lots of pigeons in DC. And yes, they did think they owned the area - thank you very much.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 12-01-19, 01:15 PM  
Tiny

Thanks Nita for getting us started! Wow, December 1 already.

Paula~yep, I found my little skillet and since I got there early it wasn’t busy at all. Oooo, ya wall heater was low! Mine was higher up and there were times while drying my hair that I got too close. The smell came first too. But ouch on burning ya skin, at least with my hair burning no one could tell and it wasn’t painful.

Anita~during Friendsgiving they were talking about the snow they used to deal with (they are all from West Virginia). Having to shovel wet snow, I just can’t. Give me hurricanes rather than snowstorms anytime, it’s all in what we are used too I guess because they wouldn’t hear of hurricanes - they’ll take the snowstorms any day. Lol, I remembered that during the winter time you keep the indoor temps at like 60! 🥶

Laura~you are right, ya Huntington trip will be here before you know it. December 15 is when the ex told me he wanted out. Looking back, this year flew but going through it seemed like slow motion. Oh nice that ya mom can edit ya work!

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 09:01 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. No formal workout but DH and I did fly to Catalina and hike. Lovely day for it.

Anita, thanks for getting us started. No one asked me if I'm ready for it to be December but if they had the answer would be "no". I say this every year, but this year went by fast. Have you considered another option before moving to an "over 55" facility, i.e. a townhouse. When I was in NH a couple years ago to help my niece, I was staying in the townhouse they were renting. It snowed several times and the association had a service that plowed the streets and shoveled the walkways right up to the front door. That was a huge help for me and at the time I thought if I ever lived in snow country again I'd figure out a way to have that done for me. I need to dig out the cards I bought last year too.

Laura, you're right the trip will be here quickly. How wonderful that your mother was a software trainer - how cool is that! Best of all she's the perfect person to help edit your material. Such a nice connection for a mother and daughter.

Mary, yeah my heater went floor to ceiling. I burned my hair on it too. We lived in that apartment for seven years and it only had one small bathroom and we both had to get ready at the same time so we were always competing for space. I think we both had hair get burn, I was the only one to melt my skin. Glad you found what you wanted at Marshalls. This has been a complicated year for you. I hope you are ending the year feeling OK in your new life.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 07:48 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I'll be doing a little more shoveling - weather predictions lied and more snow came down after I finished the last round. Otherwise planning on working at the WRC, giving Gus a walk (poor baby didn't get one yesterday as I doubted parks would shovel clean on a Sunday, and more putzing.

Laura, that is cool that your mom was a software trainer! Good skill to have!

Mary, oh my goodness, getting burned on a wall heater seems to be common - yikes! I gotta admit I was dreaming of condo life and having my snow plowed for me yesterday!

Paula, is your boat out of the repair docks? Any boat trips planned? Glad you were able to fly and enjoy the day. I've thought about some of the mixed age facilities, but really don't want to deal with kids playing in the halls or the career people stresses. I do check the perimeters of these places to see how many smokers come out of there - they are nonsmoking, but I don't want porch smokers or sneaky people inside smoking.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 12-02-19, 02:04 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It's been a busy day. DH had an appointment this morning that I took him to, so I didn't make it to the gym. I'm planning on going this afternoon. While at his doctor's, I finished one blog post and started another. I'm going to have 5-6 blog posts done in the next day or two. I'm hoping the sun really will come out tomorrow and stay out for several days. That makes filming my videos easier with the lighting. I'll need to film for all the blog posts and one of them is super long and I'll probably do on video per sub-topic, so I have quite a bit to get done.

I did get a call today from a staffing agency to which I applied for a part-time job. They collected some general info and I'll see if they call back about the job. It's a part-time job, so I'm hoping they do.

Mary - Just think. At that point a year ago, you didn't know how you were going to make it through the foreseeable future. Now, you're a year out. Congrats - even if you don't feel like it's all done, count it as a win.

Anita - You've had so much snow and it's only December 2. I hope you all get some balance in the temps later this winter.

Paula - Yeah, I became a software trainer and when my parents moved from upstate NY to the Detroit area, Mom left teaching high school math and became a software trainer because she really liked how I worked at that point part-time teaching a lot of different things. During that time, one of the big tech training firms in the DC area got a major national contract teaching GMAC dealership personnel how to use Windows 95 programs and we both worked on the contract. She mainly worked in Detroit and I traveled around the eastern part of the U.S. We wanted to teach together and found a week in Memphis where we could work together (there were always two trainers working together). We told the students that week that they were getting the best mother-daughter training team the company had. Of course, when they asked how many of those there were, we had to say ONE, but we were still the best!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 12-02-19, 09:21 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. No workout this morning other than some stretches this morning. We had to get going early to move the boat to her new home in Shoreline Marina. After all the mandatory inspections and us writing checks she is safe and sound in her new slip.

Anita, boo on shoveling. The boat has been out of the boatyard for a while now, she was only there a few days. We've been subleting a slip from the prior owners. We had to have our own slip by Dec. 1. We got that worked out and got one more night, so we moved her today. She still has engine problems which need to addressed before we can take her to the island or have any fun with her. Still waiting, we have an appointment with an engine mechanic on the 9th - these guys are always booked up way in advance.

Laura, you're going great guns with getting content to publish on your blogh. I think it's so nice you and your mom were able to teach together - I would have loved an experience like that. Loved my Mom but she worked in the medical field and that was never what I saw myself doing.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 08:44 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Yesterday morning was scary driving - lots of black ice on the roads . I wasn't going fast, but had two skids that weren't good. First one happened near my house where I had to steer into the snow pile along the road to not hit the car in front of me stopped for a turn and then at the WRC, I skidded past its entrance and had to drive another block to turn around and try the entrance again. Luckily no damage, but still yikes! I'm hoping salt has been put down now - we will have a few sunny days above freezing so that should help too.

Today, I'm planning on putzing around, giving Gus a nice walk, and working at the circus. I should probably start writing a few Christmas cards also.

Laura, glad your writing and video blogging is going well! Good luck also with the part-time position! The temps have not been very cold here - I'm still in my fall jacket to walk Gus - the storm days were in the 20's and the rest of the week will be in the 30's. I'm not looking forward to single digits or negative ones in the next few months.

Paula, yeah, I'm counting the shoveling as a workout. Just glad I don't have to do the 22" of snow up north in Duluth . Sounds like the boat will be ready for a Christmas cruise!

Waves to all!

Anita