Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-05-19, 10:08 AM  
laurajhawk

I'm now officially so far behind on checking in that I'll never catch up - which means no pressure. Hi ladies!
I barely moved the whole week I was visiting Mom. DH and I had a suite at a hotel near Mom's and every day I got up and did 15 minutes of yoga and 5 min of meditation. I ended up feeling rested, relaxed, and really really stiff.
I've been edging back into workouts since we got home on Monday. I'm starting a Walk Strong 3 rotation but today's workout was too hard (lol) so I skipped it and did Barefoot Cardio Core, plus add-on yoga from Jessica's Gentle DVD, the chest & back sequence. Last night I went to advanced class, warned that I'd be modifying, but didn't have to very much. It was twists, which I love, and ended with a koundinyasana variation. I did ok with that and just wasn't as deep in all the twists or as strong with vinyasas as usual. Glad I went.
We already lost our new yoga teacher at work. She got a new contract in her business (something non-yoga-related) and it conflicts. If we don't get a new teacher immediately I've offered to lead a class next Monday and three people so far said they want that.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 11:23 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Hi everyone....

I swear everyone has this cold. It lingers. I taught an Aging Backwards style class yesterday and walked my dog. Today, I'll do an Essentrics class.

This weekend I'm off to the Caribbean with dh, ds3, dd, the ILs and SIL. I'm hoping the sun and warm will kick this cold out of me and improve my mental health. I'm nervous about this trip but I'm always a little jittery.

Laura will it be a good thing if you take over the yoga class?

Congrats, Margot!

Sherry Zumba is always tricky with me. Bugs my knees and ankles.

Hello to Pam, Cyana, and Pat!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 12:13 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Laura will it be a good thing if you take over the yoga class?
Company policy says I cannot teach the yoga class for money (because then I'd be simultaneously a direct employee and a subcontractor). I won't teach it for free on an ongoing basis, because that devalues yoga and because the company would take it out of their budget. So I just fill in sometimes when it suits me.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
Old 12-06-19, 08:34 AM  
cyana

TGIF!!!

I woke up yesterday morning, all excited because I thought it was Friday. Oops....reality check!

Post and run - will catch up with everyone this week-end.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 09:15 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

TGIF! I leaned toward the strength side yesterday:

~ Morning PT
~ Yin inspired stretches for low back and hips
~ Experimented with baby plow pose attempts
~ GYM for treadmill and weights

Welcome back Laura. I am impressed with your koundinyasana pose, you are strong! That is nice of you to volunteer to lead the work yoga class.

Jackie, safe travels and have a wonderful vacation.

I'm looking forward to a yin special at the studio tonight, but until then I have some fires to put out at work. Arrggh.

Hello to Sherry, Pam, Margot & Cyana, everyone have a wonderful Friday.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 09:49 AM  
laurajhawk

TGIF, ladies!
This morning I did RaviAna's Beautiful Breakthroughs.
Pat, I guess that's one way to do "fireside yin"... :\
Cyana, I woke up at 1:45 this morning feeling ready (but not eager) to get up. Such a nice surprise to see that it wasn't near time yet.
Jackie, what a wonderful family trip. I hope the cold goes away immediately and you enjoy the sun.

Old 12-06-19, 12:40 PM  
sherry7899

Good morning!

Jackie-I'm so sorry about your cold. I hope the sun helps you relax and heal. I admit I'm envious....we don't go away anywhere. Some sun right now would be amazing. Have a great time!

The Zumba workout was not dance (their dance does bug my knees-I gave up on it) but it just was not comfortable for me.

Laura-your company is lucky to have you fill in teaching yoga.
I have not bought the new Ravi/Ana yet. I may order it from Amazon. I have a $10 credit there.

Cyana-have a relaxing weekend

Pat-great job on your workouts.

Margot-I love reading about your workouts. You put together such nice combinations.

The Peloton app is now working on amazon tv/kindles so I signed up for a free trial. I've been wanting to try them. I only have a recumbent bike (a spin bike would kill my back) so I wasn't sure how well they would work on a recumbent bike. I only have an old tube tv in the room with the bike, and no computer in there, so I never got to try them before. I did 15 minutes of an 80s ride (have to love riding to U2, INXS and Tom Petty) but my knees started to hurt (sigh). I used to ride my bike several times a week with no issues. I'll have to work back up to it. If I like the Peloton app I'll get it for a month once in awhile since they reduced the price.

When that tube tv finally dies, I will get something where I can use an Amazon firestick or Roku. It will be so nice to be able to stream in there.

That was it for yesterday.

Today:

Soul Sweat with Maria "Make it your Own focus" class 60 minutes
Les Mills Body flow Deep stretch #1 15 minutes

Have a great day-
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 02:11 PM  
Margot

Hello everyone!

It's been a hectic week with lots of appointments to fit in before we leave for Las Vegas tomorrow morning. I'd forgotten how much work it is just getting ready for an extended trip.

Yesterday, I squeezed in some Essentrics and Body Groove. Today's focus for me was to de-stress. I can feel my stress levels rising:
- Lee Holden November 29 class with some healing sounds to detoxify the system and activate the meridians
- MFML Tune in Tune up Warm up and Root Chakra
- MFML Norman Blair's Being Breathing

Jackie - Hope you have a great vacation and come back restored and rested.

Laura - I liked RaviAna's Beautiful Breakthroughs. When I get back, I'm thinking of trying out some more Kundalini practices.

Sherry - Too bad your knee started playing up when you were enjoying your bike ride. Hopefully, you'll be able to ease yourself back into it.

Waves to Pat, Pam and Cyana.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

We're staying in Vegas for a couple of nights before heading south to stay with my step-son for Christmas. The first thing I'm going to do, is shop for an exercise mat and make a trip to Sprouts.

Hopefully, I should be back in a few days, once I've got over the jet-lag and feel like exercising again. I'll be glad to have this 11 hour flight behind me.
Old 12-07-19, 08:41 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Checking in with my yin workshop from last night - it was such a gift. My favorite teacher Heidi led us through an hour of centering meditation and yin poses, then we took a break and came back for nadi shodhana, 45 minutes of yoga nidra with her beautiful voice, and we closed with five minutes of aum shanti shanti aum mantra. We did running deer pose, a new one for me.

I feel like I left a lot of sadness and stress there. I was next to a long time studio friend and got to experience her kind energy during the practice. She had seen my sister's obit and told me that her mother and my sister were old birding friends. That was a little gift from the Universe.

Margot, have fun in Vegas! I'm curious as to how all the Sin City bright lights, hustle and bustle will correspond with your energy training.

Sherry I hope you can re-accustom your knee to the recumbent bike and get to enjoy the Peloton app. I used to take spin at my old gym but had to quit because of my hands. Sucks because it is such a fun workout!

Laura - LOL - fireside yin.

Pam, Cyana, Jackie, have a wonderful day ladies.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 12:38 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello everyone!

Thursday’s workouts:
~Taught Essentrics
~7 km city walk

Yesterday’s workouts:
~5 km city walk

I definitely need some yoga today!

Laura - Welcome back, glad you enjoyed your time with your mom. You ARE strong, koundinyasana is way beyond my wrists! Your co-workers are fortunate to have you fill in when needed!

Jackie - Have fun in the sun!

Pat - Your yin workshop sounds lovely! I’m glad you connected with your sister’s friend & felt like you left some sadness behind there. (((Hugs))) Thanks for the link to that yin tutorial, it was informative. I so agree that hip flexibility is highly connected to the shape of your pelvis and hip joints. My knees touch the floor in sukhasana, but there’s no way I can sit with my hips between my heels like Aprille does. Deer pose is a fave of mine to do in my own yin sessions. I like to transition from sitting up to coming forward over my front knee & resting my head on a bolster in a sort of modified sleeping swan.

Margot - Safe travels & enjoy your time in Vegas!

Sherry - Enjoy your Pelaton trial & do give us a review!

Cyana - I hope you get some down time over the weekend!

Back later to post my workouts....

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote