Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Vendor Comments/Reviews

Old 10-10-19, 01:49 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thriftbooks.com

this is a great place to find new/used fitness DVDs, and you get free shipping if your order is $10 or more.

my only quibble is that the search field doesn't work as good - if you type in Trudie Styler or Scott Cole, not all of their workouts will show up. I also tried searching for The New Method 20/20 workouts, but again, it didn't show up until I removed some of the words in my search terms.

I bought 3 used DVDs for $13.xx with free shipping.

I have been waiting for a worthy replacement for Half.com, which Ebay unceremoniously shut down in 9/2017. thriftbooks used to be a half.com vendor too. glad they ventured on their own!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-19, 02:12 PM  
Lannette

I agree. I once had an issue with a DVD I purchased and they were really quick to make it right.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-19, 02:15 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Lannette - I cancelled a Thriftbooks order about 5 minutes after I submitted it and they automatically cancelled and gave me a paypal refund.

I have visited the sites of these other former half.com vendors:

decluttr.com
betterworldbooks.com

again, their search engines need a little more improvement. I bought an item from decluttr.com - I think they still sell on ebay and amazon too.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 10-10-19, 02:42 PM  
Lannette

betterworldbooks is also one of my favorites.

I haven’t tried decluttr.com but will check it out. I loved half.com.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-19, 02:49 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

If I'm shopping for any used book or DVD on Amazon and see Thriftbooks, I look no further and just order from them. Super vendor and my items always arrived quickly.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-19, 04:19 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I purchased one DVD from thriftbooks.com and since my order was under $10 I also paid for shipping - something like $3 maybe? They shipped from the town that's about 10 miles from my house and even though I paid for shipping, it took about 10 days for my DVD to get to me. I could have driven there and picked it up in about 20 minutes - with traffic. I agree about their search function. It's not very good. I hope you don't have to wait forever for your order, Jeannine.
Old 10-10-19, 04:53 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I purchased one DVD from thriftbooks.com and since my order was under $10 I also paid for shipping - something like $3 maybe? They shipped from the town that's about 10 miles from my house and even though I paid for shipping, it took about 10 days for my DVD to get to me. I could have driven there and picked it up in about 20 minutes - with traffic. I agree about their search function. It's not very good. I hope you don't have to wait forever for your order, Jeannine.
I ordered a book from thriftbooks once that took awhile to get to me - I was totally OK with that since books are heavy, and it was sent media mail. when it arrived, the CD was missing - it came with an audio CD. I reported it right away to Thriftbooks and they gave me a complete refund.

but yes, they will probably use media mail, and it might take awhile.

this is the first time I have ordered DVDs from them - I will track how long it takes. media mail for a DVD generally takes 3-4 weeks.

Pat - I do the same. I try doing that with Decluttr since they are Ebay sellers, but right now, it doesn't seem like their inventory system is integrated with their own separate website. for example, I'll see something sold by Decluttr on ebay, then go to their site, but not see it there.

Old 10-10-19, 05:53 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Itakes. media mail for a DVD generally takes 3-4 weeks.
I totally understand media mail and how long it takes, and would be OK with it if I got free shipping and didn't pay about $3 for shipping 1 DVD to my home that's 10 miles away.
Old 10-10-19, 06:15 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I totally understand media mail and how long it takes, and would be OK with it if I got free shipping and didn't pay about $3 for shipping 1 DVD to my home that's 10 miles away.
ah, I see. yes, you're right.

this last order threw me for a loop trying to find another item to reach $10 for the shipping. fortunately, I had a list of items offline for this purpose. 2 DVDs amounted to $9, so I found another DVD that summed to the $13. it won't speed the delivery up since these are all coming from different sellers, lol.

at 99¢ shipping per item if you are under $10, I was motivated to spend $4 to get "free" shipping. which is illogical from an economic standpoint.:-\

Old 10-11-19, 09:37 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Dana that's unusual for them - sorry to hear you had a bad experience.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote