Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-09, 02:53 PM  
TracyQ

Hi Debbie--I've been waiting for your comparison of BBC cardio vs. Insanity. I haven't seen the Insanity preview DVD (just the You Tube clip) but do have and use BBC and from what I saw I kind of figured it may be hard to compare the two. Have you tried the BBC full body workout? It is longer than his cardio workout (IIRC around 40 minutes). I wonder how that would compare.

Thanks for posting the CLX Fat Burn Challenge/KB Swings workout. I recently acquired CLX in a trade (best trade I ever made!). I haven't started a CLX rotation yet but I've been doing the Cardio/Interval and Ab workouts and love them all. (I got Disc. 7 too). Anyway, I've been adding 250 KB swings with my 26lber to various workouts (particularly LaloFit) and now plan on giving CLX FBC a try with the swings.

Tracy
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 03:07 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Hi Tracy, CLX has definitely been one of my best purchases ever! Do the same format with Burn it Off. I love this format with this workout, too. 50 kettlebell swings averages out to be about a minute long. Another favorite of mine is doing 50 kettlebell swings during the blast segments in IMAX 2 and Low Max (I believe that's the name of Cathe's low impact step workout) I tried it with IMAX 3, but the times for each interval is all over the chart. I think it will work with IMAX 1.

I've had Barry's workouts since it first came out, but this set has basically been a virgin set. I haven't done his full body workout, nor the other workouts, just this cardio segment. I'll take a peek at it though.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 03:08 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajock View Post
To all who are trying to avoid Insanity, I can only quote The Borg Queen:

"YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE."

A-Jock
(Romulan In Disguise)
LOL! Sad, but true.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 03:45 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Hi Rose. I did this workout this morning.

First, it's going to be hard to compare the two, because they are apples and oranges.

Barry's workout clocked in at 21 minutes. My average heart rate was 143 and calories burned was 165 calories.

Insanity clocked in at 41 minutes. My average heart rate was 148 and I burned 435 calories.

Barry's workout was cardio only for 21 minutes. Shaun T's workout included the long warm up stretch and the final stretch.

Barry's workout used a step with 5 risers. I used 4 risers each due to safety issues. I also used a stick during the jumping on and off the step.

For me, Barry's workout isn't near as safe as Shaun T's workout. My lower back felt a bit strained and I'm sure it was from jumping up and down the step. Due to my lower back surgeries, I do have to be careful with certain exercises.

It's definitely a great workout for anyone looking for a tough workout, but in comparing my stats, Shaun T's is the harder of the two.

I finished today's workout with CLX's Fat Burn Challenge. I did the warm up and the first 3 intervals and chose to do the low impact version. Between each interval, I paused the DVD, and did 50 kettlebell swings with a 26 lb. kettlebell. It clocked in at 21 minutes, too. I burned 20 calories less, but it was equally tough and much safer for me.

This is the format:
This is the way I did Fat Burn Challenge:
warm up
1st interval
paused the DVD-rested for 30 seconds
50 kettlebell swings with a 26 lb. kettlebell
rested for 30 seconds
2nd interval
rested for 30 seconds
3rd interval
rested for 30 seconds
Thanks for this tip. I'm going to start CLX on Monday.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 06:59 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Hi Tracy, CLX has definitely been one of my best purchases ever! Do the same format with Burn it Off. I love this format with this workout, too. 50 kettlebell swings averages out to be about a minute long. Another favorite of mine is doing 50 kettlebell swings during the blast segments in IMAX 2 and Low Max (I believe that's the name of Cathe's low impact step workout) I tried it with IMAX 3, but the times for each interval is all over the chart. I think it will work with IMAX 1.

I've had Barry's workouts since it first came out, but this set has basically been a virgin set. I haven't done his full body workout, nor the other workouts, just this cardio segment. I'll take a peek at it though.
I posted in an earlier post about doing BIO with 30 swings between each interval. I'm going to try it with 50 swings instead. I don't have CLX Disc 7 but I've been tempted to buy it.
Old 08-17-09, 03:14 PM  
Pascal

I see lots of talk of Barry's and Joey's cardio segments. I've only tried Barry's (and it was so tough for me! I did lots of pausing!!)

Anyhoo - how are Nadia's and Rich's cardio segments?
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 03:39 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I see lots of talk of Barry's and Joey's cardio segments. I've only tried Barry's (and it was so tough for me! I did lots of pausing!!)

Anyhoo - how are Nadia's and Rich's cardio segments?
Barry's non-treadmill cardio was the toughest from all the non-treadmill cardio but still not as tough as Insanity. In comparison, I think Barry's cardio is tougher than Cathe's 4DS BootCamp, or cardio pre-mixes of her original BootCamp and Drillmax.

Nadia's non-treadmill cardio was probably the 2nd toughest. I think Joey's might be the easiest since it was mostly jumprope based. However, I didn't use a jumprope since the participants didn't either. I imagine that using a jumprope would make his cardio tougher.

Joey's treadmill cardio is the toughest while Barry's treadmill wo is not really cardio. Nadia's treadmill wo is probably the 2nd toughest since she has a lot of sprint work. Barry's Full Body wo reminds me of Cardio Power & Resistance since it has cardio and strength work. The strength work also uses bodyweight exercises and a step.
Old 08-17-09, 04:33 PM  
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
Barry's non-treadmill cardio was the toughest from all the non-treadmill cardio but still not as tough as Insanity. In comparison, I think Barry's cardio is tougher than Cathe's 4DS BootCamp, or cardio pre-mixes of her original BootCamp and Drillmax.

Nadia's non-treadmill cardio was probably the 2nd toughest. I think Joey's might be the easiest since it was mostly jumprope based. However, I didn't use a jumprope since the participants didn't either. I imagine that using a jumprope would make his cardio tougher.

Joey's treadmill cardio is the toughest while Barry's treadmill wo is not really cardio. Nadia's treadmill wo is probably the 2nd toughest since she has a lot of sprint work. Barry's Full Body wo reminds me of Cardio Power & Resistance since it has cardio and strength work. The strength work also uses bodyweight exercises and a step.
Thanks so much for the info, Helen! Have you tried Rich's cardio? I've done the chest/abs section of his workout, but that's it. Thanks again.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 04:36 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Thanks so much for the info, Helen! Have you tried Rich's cardio? I've done the chest/abs section of his workout, but that's it. Thanks again.
Yes, I tried both his treadmill and non-treadmill cardio. I didn't like the latter. It seemed boring but of course, that's just my opinion. His treadmill cardio seemed easier than both Joey's and Nadia's treadmill wos because they were a little more steady state.
Old 08-17-09, 07:40 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
That's not a bad idea. VF really is bad for your pocketbook.

I don't go online when I go on vacations. This trip ended up being 6 weeks long, so absolutely no temptations whatsoever. Surprisingly, I have yet to be really tempted, so now I'm edging towards the 9 week mark.
Debbie, I admire your willpower .

Adrien, that's the same reason why I buy BB workouts---VF hype! However, I do like some of the P90X DVDs and I like Chalene, too.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barry's bootcamp