Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-09, 10:35 AM  
JBliff

I did the Barry BBC workout a couple of weeks ago. It is tough. I actually think that doing Plyo Legs really helped me with the endurance to do BBC. I never was able to finish the BBC cardio until after my STS rotation.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 10:40 AM  
steakhousegirl

I was "thinking" of Insanity too but I realized that I have enough of those types of workouts: STS Plyo Legs, PlyoX, One on One Plyo Legs, 4DS Bootcamp, Drill Max and IntervalX+ among others. Also, with Shock Cardio down the pike I'm well-stocked.

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 10:52 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

The cardio from BBC 5DA is too hard for me. One of the reasons I'm passing on the Insanity series.

But you all go insane. I will watch and cheer from the sidelines!
Sarah-lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 10:55 AM  
silvil
VF Supporter

I personally think that Barry's Academy Series is a true gem for its versatility -- except for the full-body disk, the other 4 disks are really 3 workouts in 1, with weights, treadmill, and non-tread cardio to choose from. I definitely need to pull this series out again.

My favorite of the non-tread cardios is Joey's (Shoulders) but they are all tough, and effective if you are still breathing at the end.

I'm also off the Insanity train for now, even though I love Shaun T. I just don't want to push myself *that* hard for 60 days. I love all the Beachbody programs that I've gotten, but I think I'll skip this one. Now, RevAbs on the other hand, has my attention....
silvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 11:01 AM  
fit1

Barry's 5 Day Academy Bootcamp series is a fave of mine. I think it's an underrated series. It's TOUGH! After watching the Insanity trailer, I agree that the 20 minute cardio workouts of Barry's Academy Bootcamp series remind me of Shaun T's Insanity. Although I am sure Insanity is tougher because Insanity workouts are 30 minutes and 45 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post
Today I did a cardio from Barry's 5 Day Academy series - the one led by Barry. Twenty minutes of torture - step jumps, jumping jacks, burpees, football runs - I swore a couple times. Sound familiar? I think I might have found a cheaper version of Insanity.
fit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 11:07 AM  
lindseylu8

I think Barrys cardio is THE toughest of the academy series!!!! This is a very good, versatile series. I think I paid $30 to a kind yaya for the set. As mentioned, 4 discs have 3 w/o's each on them and then theres the full body as well-great value! And I love splits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz K View Post
What is the Academy series? Is it the same as the regular Barry's Bootcamp? I checked out Collage and saw Barry's Bootcamp Fat Blaster and Barry's Bootcamp Belly Blaster. Is it either of these?

I'm very interested in Insanity but always open to a cheaper version also.

Thanks.
Liz
The academy series is the first set by Barry. It is completely different and seperate from the Fat Blaster Series. The Academy uses dumbbells and a bench. It is no longer available (except used).

The Fat Blaster is his newer infomercial series w/ Cindy Whitmarsh coleading. The Belly Blaster (and 1,000 Cal w/o) are add-ons to the fat blaster set. The Fat Blaster uses the transformer ball and bands.

Personally-I love both sets!

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 11:25 AM  
CharM

I completely forgot about the original BBC, which I sold because I didn't want to kill myself doing cardio, so why the heck am I so interested in Insanity? It's all YOUR fault (speaking to the entire VF community)
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 11:26 AM  
pcramer

How funny, I just started this series this week!!! I am rotating 4 weeks of this and 4 weeks of Jillian

I love/hate it !!!! It is funny how Barry can make you laugh when you are is so much pain at the same time

I purchased this "new" from his Sherman Oaks facility just last month, and I am so, so glad I did. His new Bootcamp is "nice" but the Academy series gets the job DONE!!

Got to love Barry!!
pcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 11:32 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

pcramer, see how often you begin to say, "Ain't a break!" now that you've started this series. DH said it for months.

Have to say, since I already mentioned the cardio is too much for me, that the strength work on BBC-5DA is terrific.
Sarah-lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 11:51 AM  
fit1

They're still selling the original series? That's good! I wonder why they didn't include it for sale on their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcramer View Post
I purchased this "new" from his Sherman Oaks facility just last month, and I am so, so glad I did. His new Bootcamp is "nice" but the Academy series gets the job DONE!!

Got to love Barry!!
fit1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barry's bootcamp