Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-15, 05:11 PM  
dbclark44

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
I find Yin classes to be tortuous due to the long holds, but this short Vytas class is heaven. He doesn't hold the poses really long at all and I feel great afterwards!
I am just the opposite of you! I love a true yin class because of the long holds. I enjoy holding a pose for 2-3 minutes. Of course it depends what pose it is. Travis' Yin Yoga I can do all the poses without any problem. I find I prefer yin yoya to yang.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-15, 05:22 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbclark44 View Post
I am just the opposite of you! I love a true yin class because of the long holds. I enjoy holding a pose for 2-3 minutes. Of course it depends what pose it is. Travis' Yin Yoga I can do all the poses without any problem. I find I prefer yin yoya to yang.

And I used to dread Travis's Yin practice, but I love his Gentle practice!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-15, 05:50 PM  
katmom

I also like the 30 minute yin practice with Vytas. His holds in Yin Yang are not long by comparison to the holds in Travis' yin practice. The holds in Marissa Weppner's Yinlicious were also not nearly as long as Travis' Yin practice.

If you hate the long holds of yin, but want something yin-like, I would suggest Anna Hanson's Love Thyself or Detox and De-stress. I also like Elle Potter's Stretch and Restore.
Old 01-29-15, 08:43 PM  
isebelleg44

Back to report two workouts that I did with Caley, who is becoming one of my favorite Udaya instructors. Yesterday I did Hips and Hamstrings, which I liked, but didn't add to my favorites. It didn't stretch me the way I had hoped.

Today I did a tough one with her, Cardio Blast. Oh my goodness! It was tough and had me in my least favorite pose, chair for what felt like a million years! It had a lot of long holds and I was expecting more of a flow. I was sweating like I just did cardio! Challenging, but will revisit even if some of those long holds make me cry!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Old 01-30-15, 08:25 AM  
Suzan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
Back to report two workouts that I did with Caley, who is becoming one of my favorite Udaya instructors. Yesterday I did Hips and Hamstrings, which I liked, but didn't add to my favorites. It didn't stretch me the way I had hoped.

Today I did a tough one with her, Cardio Blast. Oh my goodness! It was tough and had me in my least favorite pose, chair for what felt like a million years! It had a lot of long holds and I was expecting more of a flow. I was sweating like I just did cardio! Challenging, but will revisit even if some of those long holds make me cry!

I did Cardio Blast a few months ago and it was sooo hard. I expected it to be a fast flow due to name but that wasn't the case and the slow holds were brutal.
Suzan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-15, 09:28 AM  
laurajhawk

Haha sometimes I like those deadly slow holds. I'll have to try Cardio Blast.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-15, 02:00 PM  
Travelmug

Cardio Blast looks like a good one! I think that was on the BeFit YT channel as well...I watched a bit of it but made a note to try it later. I love chair pose, so holding it for a long time sounds like a dream!

Since Udaya is a shiny new toy for me, I've been doing more practices this week. I did the 30 minutes yin class with Vytas, per everyone's feedback. I liked it and would probably do it again.

Serious Back Strengthening with Vytas - really enjoyed this. My back is not as strong as I'd like, and my posture sucks, so I'm hoping these targeted classes will help. I had to back off a bit on some of the poses because they were too much, but had nice DOMS in my back and sides the next day.

Yoga Butt with Vytas - awesome workout! This one's in my favourites too. I had more DOMS in my thighs than in my butt, but my lower body definitely felt worked out. At first I thought he was joking about 108 low squats, but no.

Lighthouse - this was just okay. I'm undecided on Rudy as an instructor, although he did make me chuckle. I'll have to try more of his to see.

Isebelleg44 - thanks for your feedback on Hips and Hamstrings. That's another one I'd like to try.
Travelmug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-15, 04:02 PM  
isebelleg44

I will have to try Yoga Butt one of these days. Normally I would have done it by now since the practice is led by Vytas, but I was afraid there would be too many chair poses.

The ones that I have done by Rudy, that I have added to my favorites are:

Grammy for my Hammy
Heart of the Matter
Energetic Surge
Non Stop Flow
Fat Seeking Missile
Integrations mid day & evening

Old 02-07-15, 07:30 AM  
katmom

Today, my body needed some TLC and I revisited Elle Potter's Stretch and Restore. It was 56 minutes of yoga heaven for me. I had forgotten how much I enjoy this practice and Elle is wonderful.
Old 02-12-15, 12:27 PM  
Travelmug

I did some more Udaya practices this week. Since I've started doing yoga regularly, I've grown to like vinyasas and look forward to doing them.

Surya Namaskar A? Bring it on! Surya Namaskar B? More please!

On Tuesday I did Repetitions Plus One with Rudy. I liked it, would probably do it again, but it wasn't too memorable except for a crescent pose-warrior 3-standing splits-crescent post sequence repeated a bunch of times. That was fun and tough. There was some core work as well.

Chairway to Heaven - not enough chair pose! Rudy had some good form pointers in this one.

Knee to Chest - headstand alert! (Although it was used mostly as a way to demonstrate the knee to chest action in an inversion - you're not required to actually hold the handstand for any length of time.) This one was challenging but doable, and all about the core. Vytas is such a great instructor.
Travelmug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
twisting, udaya, vytas baskauskas