Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-15, 07:47 AM  
sherry7899

I forgot that!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-15, 09:26 PM  
firmiewannabe

I read the crossing places by Elly Griffiths. This was a new mystery series for me. Based in England with a lot of archeology tidbits threw in. I liked it enough to request the next book in the series at the library.
firmiewannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-15, 01:10 PM  
Erica H.

I am reading "Half Broke Horses" by Jeannette Walls right now and like it a lot. She is the author of "The Glass Castle" and this book is about her maternal grandmother. Really amazing story.

Finished "Farewell to Manzanar" and I liked that one, too.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-15, 10:24 PM  
BunnyHop

Finished The Secret Garden, moving on to Steppenwolf (which I found on my bookshelf and have no memory of having read).
Old 01-27-15, 11:27 PM  
marissajd

Finished: "Just Mercy." Infuriating and bleak, yet somehow hopeful. Must-read for anyone interested in criminal justice, race relations, or American history in general.

Started: Suki Kim's Without You, There Is No Us: My Time with the Sons of North Korea's Elite
Old 01-28-15, 12:08 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marissajd View Post
Finished: "Just Mercy." Infuriating and bleak, yet somehow hopeful. Must-read for anyone interested in criminal justice, race relations, or American history in general.
I just put myself on my library's waiting list for this one.
I finished "The Good Nurse" last week-the true story of Charles Cullen a nurse who killed hundreds of patients at hospitals in NJ and PA over the course of 16 years. One of the hospitals where he worked is in my community. Great story but the footnotes in this book were infuriating. There were ALOT of footnotes and some of them had info that should have been in the narrative portion of the book and others had useless information. I do not recommend reading this in Kindle format because of the footnotes.
I am currently reading "The unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Frye" and "everything I never told you"
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-15, 12:15 AM  
sherry7899

Leslie- I remember that! I am going to pass on the book - though.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-15, 10:29 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

That is understandable Sherry. I wouldn't call it depressing but it was dark. It read like a thriller to me. I really liked how he covered the investigation by the county prosecutor's office.

I just started listening to the audio version of Plague of Doves by Louise Ehrdrich. I actually have the print book but found the audio CDs at the library yesterday.I had a lot of driving for work today so I got through 3 disks and picked up the book to read while I ate dinner.

Just Mercy is available at the library for me to pick up but I don't know when I am going to find the time to read it.
Old 01-29-15, 01:59 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I enjoyed The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. It ended up being more positive and triumphant.

It put Invention of Wings into perspective- this book was interesting, well written about an interesting subject, but it was about and focused on the hardships of the women it was written about. Not a criticism, just why I found it so, so sad. Not much happy was shown, none of the joys or triumphs. I really don't know if I think more happy would have deepened the book or made it something else, because it wasn't the book that Kidd wrote. I'll stop my nerdy contemplation of that book, but it obviously left me thinking about it long after I read it.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 08:00 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
I enjoyed The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. It ended up being more positive and triumphant.
I liked this too. I found it sad and funny at the same time. I agree that the ending was uplifting. I gave it to DD (age 14) to read and she also liked it.

Tags
books, reading, winter reading 2014-2015